All 499 Ferrari LaFerrari's are being recalled for fire haza

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
tomas6791
tomas6791

All 499 Ferrari LaFerrari's are being recalled for fire haza

Good to know Ferrari is stepping up on an issue that could become disastrous.

From the article:
ccording to Autoblog NL, all the 499 Ferrari LaFerraris are being recalled and the reason speculated is a potential fire hazard. Last summer one LaFerrari seemed to suffer a minor fiery fate, so it’s no surprise that attempts to avert disaster are being made.

2 pictures and full article

Andres125sx

Re: All 499 Ferrari LaFerrari's are being recalled for fire

Looks like Ferrari is a complete disaster not only into F1.... It´s not their first car wich may be burnt by itself... :shock:

tomas6791
tomas6791

I believe this started the whole recall.

g-force_addict
g-force_addict

Why are supercars so MUCH, MUCH MORE prone to engine fires?
After all many engine fires occur during normal driving and not as much by blowing up the engine during energetic driving as expected.

Are mid engine designs riskier?
It seems so as if I'm not mistaken engine fires began being relatively common with the Lamborghini Miura.

BTW
What is the usual cause of supercar engine fires?
Electric/electronic short circuits or overheating?
Fuel leaks?
Engine area overheating to the point that plastics and rubber ignite automatically?
Any other?

markp
markp

Andres125sx wrote:Looks like Ferrari is a complete disaster not only into F1.... It´s not their first car wich may be burnt by itself... :shock:

Could be worse could design cars like McLaren Honda.

No reports its a fire issue only that its for fuel tank and is not an emergency. Whatever it is can wait until 11st service. Could be an external supplier issue with fuel cell or anything. 100's of potential issues are possible. Porsche have had issurs in the past so have Toyota Ford etc. People just like to have a go more wgen its the car company with more classics to its name than anyone else not to mention being F1's greatest ever team.

majicmeow
majicmeow

With the 458, the fires generally started due to overheated adhesives in the area of the exhaust. The adhesive would drip/run onto the hot exhaust and cause a fire.

I suspect that tight packaging, hot engines and insufficient cooling of not only the engine, but the engine bay are the biggest contributors to supercar fires.

Also, because it comes from Italy ;) Beautiful and fast but not very reliable ;)

FW17

Will there be trot case in the US

Ferrari will go belly up if that happens

bdr529

WilliamsF1 wrote:Will there be trot case in the US

What is trot case ? And are the 120 people that were allowed/chosen to buy this car, the type to have a "trot case" ?

Facts Only
Facts Only

g-force_addict wrote:Why are supercars so MUCH, MUCH MORE prone to engine fires?
After all many engine fires occur during normal driving and not as much by blowing up the engine during energetic driving as expected.

Are mid engine designs riskier?
It seems so as if I'm not mistaken engine fires began being relatively common with the Lamborghini Miura.

BTW
What is the usual cause of supercar engine fires?
Electric/electronic short circuits or overheating?
Fuel leaks?
Engine area overheating to the point that plastics and rubber ignite automatically?
Any other?
Probably because supercars are generally built by small volume/bespoke manufactures not huge OEMs who spend years gunning them round deserts to make sure they don't catch fire.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

autogyro
autogyro

Surely everyone knows by now that Ferrari road cars catch fire.
This is nothing new.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

bdr529 wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Will there be trot case in the US

What is trot case ? And are the 120 people that were allowed/chosen to buy this car, the type to have a "trot case" ?
I'm guessing they mean "tort", i.e. civil case. But that's really only applicable if a defect causes damages beyond the car that's being recalled. If they discovered an issue and are fixing it preemptively, there's nothing to sue them for.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

markp wrote:No reports its a fire issue only that its for fuel tank and is not an emergency. Whatever it is can wait until 11st service.
how is a fire hazard (especially involving the fuel tank) NOT an emergency?

bdr529

acosmichippo wrote:
bdr529 wrote: What is trot case ? And are the 120 people that were allowed/chosen to buy this car, the type to have a "trot case" ?
I'm guessing they mean "tort", i.e. civil case. But that's really only applicable if a defect causes damages beyond the car that's being recalled. If they discovered an issue and are fixing it preemptively, there's nothing to sue them for.
I'm sure Ferrari will take care of the chosen few, it's not like they don't have another Ferrari or two.
I'd love to see what a recall notice for a $2 million car looks like, Gold Leaf on Baby Seal skin perhaps

markp
markp

majicmeow wrote:With the 458, the fires generally started due to overheated adhesives in the area of the exhaust. The adhesive would drip/run onto the hot exhaust and cause a fire.

I suspect that tight packaging, hot engines and insufficient cooling of not only the engine, but the engine bay are the biggest contributors to supercar fires.

Also, because it comes from Italy ;) Beautiful and fast but not very reliable ;)
Ah of course as it's from Italy...Toyota being ultra reliable Japanese never had the biggest recall in automotive history with sticking throttles or the British. The British have no major car companies of their own as they produced the most unreliable cars in history. British Leyland a stain on the myth of British engineering. All other British brands are foreign owned and better for it. TVR anyone?. Porsche engines have a small bearing issue on 996 engines and Boxster engines. Please do not bring nationality into it. If you have to at least go after the biggest reliability culprits The Beitish. Theres a reason they have nothing of their own left.

autogyro
autogyro

markp wrote:
majicmeow wrote:With the 458, the fires generally started due to overheated adhesives in the area of the exhaust. The adhesive would drip/run onto the hot exhaust and cause a fire.

Ah of course as it's from Italy...Toyota being ultra reliable Japanese never had the biggest recall in automotive history with sticking throttles or the British. The British have no major car companies of their own as they produced the most unreliable cars in history. British Leyland a stain on the myth of British engineering. All other British brands are foreign owned and better for it. TVR anyone?. Porsche engines have a small bearing issue on 996 engines and Boxster engines. Please do not bring nationality into it. If you have to at least go after the biggest reliability culprits The Beitish. Theres a reason they have nothing of their own left.
Sorry cannot let this run.
Of course all nations building cars have had reliability issues and recalls and the British motor industry suffered a large number, mainly from union created bad practice and the inability of government to run car companies.
Italy has had many similar problems over the years.
Ferrari however has had fire problems with its cars both road and race throughout its history.
It is not an easy problem to fully solve but you would have thought they would have come close by now.
One problem IMO is the power train concept in Le Ferrari which reminds me of a horizontal block of flats crammed into a very small space, a fire waiting to happen.