Mindblowing concept cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Andres125sx

Mindblowing concept cars

I´ve just seen one of those concept cars you know it will never become real, at least similar to the concept car. But it is so mindblowing I really don´t care because at least it provide what a concept car is suposed to provide, a unique point of view of the future

Then I thought opening a thread for the most mindblowing concept cars we´ve ever seen may be a good idea, and here I am

But please, only real concept cars, desgining exercises go way too far as they don´t need to even produce the concept car

Chevrolet FNR:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2038 ... -made-real

xxChrisxx

Re: Mindblowing concept cars

There is no 'concept' here. It's mental masturbation by some artist, that they then made a model of. So really you've broken your own rule of no 'design exercises'. Unless, of course, you were being ironic. In which case, well done.

EDIT: Also why has the need for luggage disappeared in the future.

Andres125sx

Probably you didn´t read the article, but FNR is a real model, not just a drawing/3d render, that´s what I meant with design excercises, cars that will never go beyond some designer table/computer

To be more precise, with design excercises I mean things like this one

This is mental masturbation, but FNR is a real concept car. As real as concept cars may be obviously :wink:

xxChrisxx

So i'm not a total dullard, as someone who doesn't 'get' this type of thing. Lets have a bit of discourse.

What exactly do you find 'mind blowing' about the FNR, and why is it 'the future'.

Andres125sx

xxChrisxx wrote:So i'm not a total dullard, as someone who doesn't 'get' this type of thing. Lets have a bit of discourse.

What exactly do you find 'mind blowing' about the FNR
This

xxChrisxx wrote: and why is it 'the future'.
Who said it is the future? It is a concept car, and as any other concept car, it is what an specific manufacturer think the future may be

Or a complete waste of time and money, but as an engineer I enjoy when someone break the rules, even if it´s just a concept

J.A.W.

I have to agree with XCX here, I don't see "mindblowing" & "...unique point of view of the future" - in that Chev..

Such 'adspeak' hype is effectively meaningless unless quantified by design analysis A-125..

To me - it looks more like a kid has superglued a giant cockroach to a 'hotwheels' toy car chassis..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Greg Locock

To me the pod racer is just as good a concept car as the other one, neither is bound by any real laws of physics or engineering.

xxChrisxx

That was drawn by someone who had just finished watching Tron, and though the light bikes looked 'pretty neat'.

Andres125sx

Did you guys realice it is an electric self-driving car?

It is not a supercar, so it does not need to be designed by CFD programs, comply with engineering laws nor quantified by design analysis #-o

Greg Locock

Does it still have to obey the laws of physics? If not then it is just a pretty sculpture.

so then how do they propose to couple zero suspension travel, very slight sidewalls, and any sort of ride quality? Or do they perhaps have special body work that deforms out the way of the tires?

Andres125sx

Greg Locock wrote:Does it still have to obey the laws of physics? If not then it is just a pretty sculpture.
As concept cars usually are

It´s very similar to this one, Mercedes F015 luxury in motion, self-driving, electric, rotating front seats, shell shape, virtual dashboard...

flynfrog

I think there is some confusions of terms here. Those are renderings 100s of them will be done before a concept car will be built. As far as self driving being mind blowing.

"yawn"
they have been doing this for years 1995 drove across the US
http://jalopnik.com/they-drove-cross-co ... 1696330141
look at those futuristic looks of a 90s mini van and those shorts

Electric cars new and different I think not.

Now for the mind blowing
GM Firebirds
These have jet engines and were actually built and still exist.

The buick Y job pretty much set the styling for the next 20 years. It was also the daily driver of Harley J Earl until the 50s

Chrysler turbine car.

They build 50 or so of these and let people drive them with a freaking turbine engine. Talk about mind blowing.

Ford GT90
now the mind blowing part that blue interior. Not sure if the seats swivel though?

Lets not forget the turbo straight 8

Oldsmobile Aerotech

Basicly an Indy car chassis with a streamliner body and a turbo quad 4 olds engine in it. It went on to closed corese road speed endurance records of 257 for an hour a record that still stands, a flying mile of 267 mph. They even got Foyt to drive it. Image

bdr529

My favorite concept car and one that I was lucky enough to see a few years ago
1951 Buick LeSabre concept, another Harley J Earl masterpiece
- Powered by a supercharged 215 cu in (3.5 L) V8 able to run on gasoline or methanol. The same engine minus supercharger latter found its way into the Rover P5, and the P6 3500 , Land Rover, Range Rover Triumph, MG, and Morgan.
- Water sensor to activate the power top, and wiper blades
- Heated seats, Electric headlights concealed behind the center oval, 12-volt electrical system (most cars were 6-volt),

Andres125sx

flynfrog wrote: As far as self driving being mind blowing.
Who said that? Actually I hate self-driving, as most people in this forum I guess...

BTW, electric is NOT the part I find mindblowing either :roll: . It´s the design what I find mind-blowing, with a crystal shell wich must provide a unique POV for passengers, who can go talking or playing cards with those rotating seats while the car drives them to the destiny

And obviously the external look, I love it, similar to the Mercedes because that´s the shape they must have to get the most of the internal space, but way more futuristic

flynfrog

not exactly a new concept either.

I find both rather displeasing to look it. the chevy looks like a hot wheels I had as a kid No real flow to the shape. The Merc looks like some kind of weird off road pod.

Now for something with suicide doors I like the new Conti. It mige because I have its much older parent in the garage. Nice flowing lines on the roof with the square cuts on the ends.

I always found the Maybach Exelero sinister looking. I love the long hood and roof lines