Mindblowing concept cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
flynfrog

Re: Mindblowing concept cars

The chysler concept that never made it.

Giah built the Norsman for the 1957 auto show. It never made it. The car was in the hold of the Ill fated Andrea Doria. A collision at sea send her to the bottom with the Norsman still in the hull.

No color pictures exist of the original but a few B&W still survive. Note the roof fully supported by the C pillar. The rear window could retract into the roof.

Just_a_fan

TVR's Project 7/12 that became the Speed 12 was a mindblowing concept car. over 800bhp in a 1000kg car made it outrageously, stupidly fast. It was McLaren F1 beating fast.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

flynfrog wrote:not exactly a new concept either.
https://epic-hero.com/wp-content/upload ... 00x374.jpg
I think a drawing shouldn´t count, don´t you?
Agree, love it =P~

Tim.Wright

Andres125sx wrote:I think a drawing shouldn´t count, don´t you?
The point we are trying to make is that effectively the Chevrolet FNR is just a 3D drawing.

Or to put it another way, its not a car...
Not the engineer at Force India

Andres125sx

Tim.Wright wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:I think a drawing shouldn´t count, don´t you?
The point we are trying to make is that effectively the Chevrolet FNR is just a 3D drawing.

Or to put it another way, its not a car...
Then I must be the only one thinking a concept car is just a concept car, not a pre-production unit

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:TVR's Project 7/12 that became the Speed 12 was a mindblowing concept car. over 800bhp in a 1000kg car made it outrageously, stupidly fast. It was McLaren F1 beating fast.
Sure, this thing deserve to be showed

http://www.0-100.it/tvr-cerbera-speed12 ... in-strada/

J.A.W.

Damn, but that TVR is bulbous-fugly..

The unauthourised "Ferrari Daytona 770" concept car ( see Ferrari Image thread ) really mindblew Ferrari, mind you..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

SiLo

Yeah but the concept was the sex.

Felipe Baby!

Greg Locock

The sort of model you have been showing is a sculpture, admittedly car related, but it is not a car. It can't drive under its own power, it can't go over a rough road, it looks as though it can't even steer. To my mind you might as well be enthusing about a statue of a dragon or a model of a faster than light spaceship.

The TVR and some other show or concept cars are at least something more than a full size toy. Many show cars can't actually be driven safely, but some can, for instance Lotus built the Chevrolet Indy show car, as a batch of 3, of which one could be driven safely at high speeds, even by journalists, one had all the high tech gear functional, but you wouldn't want to drive it fast, and one was a beautifully put together car for static display.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013 ... y-concept/

rather amusingly glosses over the fact they were built in Hethel.

Andres125sx

Greg Locock wrote:The sort of model you have been showing is a sculpture, admittedly car related, but it is not a car. It can't drive under its own power, it can't go over a rough road, it looks as though it can't even steer. To my mind you might as well be enthusing about a statue of a dragon or a model of a faster than light spaceship.

The TVR and some other show or concept cars are at least something more than a full size toy.
That´s the difference between a concept car for near future, wich could be considered a pre-production unit, and a concept car the manufacturer designed and built thinking about a distant future
Concept car: A concept vehicle, show vehicle and a prototype is a car made to showcase new styling and/or new technology. They are often shown at motor shows to gauge customer reaction to new and radical designs which may or may not be mass-produced.
It may or may not be mass produced, and it´s made to showcase new styling and technology wich suposedly will be used in the future. But since it will be used in the future, that implies the technology is not here yet so, how can you build a working concept car with future technology? :roll:

A concept car does not need to work, and this thread is NOT intended to show only concept cars wich can work today, actually I´m not interested on concept cars that can work today, they´re today cars, not future cars, and concept cars are suposed to be future cars, or at least what that specific manufacturer think future of cars will be.

That´s exactly the interesting part of concept cars and the reason I opened this thread, to see what ideas manufacturers have about future of cars as you always find some interesting ones

flynfrog

How about the ford Nucleon. The mock-up still exists in the Henry Ford Museum. What propelled this magnificent beast you ask? Oil? Coal? Wind? No the power of the atom. Then engineers at the thought that small scale atom smashers were only a few years away so they penned the Nucleon. The estimated range was 5000 miles a core with your local filling station taking care to swap out the cores when needed.

There must have been a few iterations as the model with the dashing man with the tie doesn't match the existing prototype

J.A.W.

& that 'Nucleon' still stacks up as an ideal long range electric ( it wasn't a steam unit, was it?) car..

The equivalent plutonium fuel cell deep space probes are still powered up - after decades of service.

I guess the potential for a mishap/misuse of the ionising radiation power-core unit cruelled the car concept some..

Greg Locock

So Andres, what technologies rather than pretty shapes does your first photo require? A pretty shape without enabling technologies, is just a wad blowing exercise by an artist, which you seem keen to applaud.

At least the Nucleon identifes some realistic problems with its chosen technology.

J.A.W.

If of interest, this site has a pictorial summary of Mopar concept cars..
http://www.allpar.com/model/concepts.html

Andres125sx

Greg Locock wrote:So Andres, what technologies rather than pretty shapes does your first photo require?
First photo? Any reason you only take into account first photo?

It showcase some new tech like eye´s iris recognition to start the car, self-driving with an artificially intelligent personal assistant, and gesture control to drive yourself if you want, if not you can turn your seat back and have a talk with rear passengers.
Greg Locock wrote:is just a wad blowing exercise by an artist, which you seem keen to applaud.
Yes, it´s the impressive styling with those doors and that shape what mostly impress me.

That´s an important part of any car, I can name a lot of cars wich are considered mythical cars and their only strong point is some pretty shapes, so I´d say shapes are important for most people.