why cant we have f1 downforce on road cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
J.A.W.

Re: why cant we have f1 downforce on road cars

Just_a_fan wrote:
J.A.W. wrote:
Check out this Porsche road car going fast on the freeway vid.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWV1p0ZvoU

Look at the rear end getting loose @ ~55 seconds in, & later likewise being gapped by the bikes on high speed corners..
..sure the driver knew his machine, & controlled it, but perhaps a bit more downforce might've been handy there?
1. That video is the perfect reason for the authorities to ban fast cars like that. Driven by idiots who think that other cars are there to be used as chicanes.
2. The car got unbalanced because the bike cut him up and he lifted to avoid collecting the bike. Lifting in a 911 with lock on is the perfect recipe for some "interesting moments".

Ban 911 Porsches.. after 1/2 a century in production?
You cannot be serious.. the wealthy Porker (& et al) driver - will never allow politicians to do it..

& the bikes overtook him, & left him at will, even while riding more speedily & with more care in overtaking..
..& yes, Turbof1, even on the corners, which tends to demolish your bias - at least, on that particular point..

Edited for clarity, final comment directed to Turbof1 refers to his claims about bikes being less capable in corners
- even than road cars - which he made in the F1 VS Moto GP thread..
Last edited by J.A.W. on 15 Dec 2015, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Edax

J.A.W. wrote:
& the bikes overtook him, & left him at will, even while riding more with more care...
I think there wasn't much care in the driving of any of these drivers (porsche and motors alike). I think none of the drivers had the margin to cope with an unexpected move of other traffic or a mechanical failure. And there were a lot of innocent bystanders around. There is some footage which I'm not going to link here about a couple of cycles doing similar stuff. One falls but survives, however his bike rolls over the center barrier killing a innocent person cruising along on the opposite lane. I hope that if these guys get caught and that they will not be in the vicinity of a motorized vehicle for a decade or so.

Sorry for the rant.

However I would hate to see these cars banned. I like supercars, they are rolling pieces of engineering and art. Yes they are driven by wealthy "porkers" and, yes, they buy them for bragging rights.

However for the same money they might have also bough a beautiful paining and keep it locked up in their mansion where nobody would ever see it. Then I find buying a supercar much more sympathetic. When you see a Ferrari, McLaren, lambo etc it brings a smile to your face.

Just_a_fan

J.A.W. wrote: & the bikes overtook him, & left him at will, even while riding more with more care..
..& yes, F1 Turbo, even on the corners, which tends to demolish your bias - at least, on that particular point..
No idea what this is supposed to mean.

Oh, and what bias do I have?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Steven
Owner

We've got enough posts that answer the original question.
And more than enough off-topic posts as well.

Case closed.