Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
SectorOne

Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

The British sportscar manufacturer announced a technology partnership with Red Bull on Thursday that brings its name back to F1 and will help create what it hopes will be the fastest road car ever.

The initial plan is to restrict numbers of cars produced to just 99, with a price tag estimated to be greater than $1 million (USD).

Aston Martin CEO Andy Palmer said that the mission was clear: its limited edition model will have to be quicker than F1.

When asked if the AM-RB 001 had to be the fastest road car ever created, he said: "If you put it out there, somebody will always try to beat you - which is probably the point.

"As we sit here today, the raison d'etre that we've given the team is to be faster than an F1 car around Silverstone – or indeed any other F1 track.

"I am sure there are other cars that can go in straight lines quicker than this. We don't make drag cars, we make cars you can use. That is the raison d'etre we use."
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/aston ... rs-680099/

Well, can´t say i´m not looking forward to seeing this thing. And if it actually will be quicker then a current F1 car.
Taking unrestricted aerodynamics, this car will be seriously, seriously quick. And the initial indications we have had from it is that it has generated more downforce than any car that we have ever produced."
:shock: coming from the people who built the RB6 downforce monster..
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

NutritionFact

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Maybe something like a rb x1 roadcar? Ground effect with ventilator, aerodynamic efficincy, hybrid with all weel drive? Name for the car:

aston martin - NNL Newey No Limit :wtf:
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger

wesley123

" We don't make drag cars, we make cars you can use. "
So they want to make a car faster than F1 cars, but also make them usable? I'm doubtful.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Tim.Wright

SectorOne wrote:
Coming from the same guy who said this about Nissan's LMP1 abortion:
Any Palmer wrote:"Believe me, I think this is the car that will go down in the annals of time and be one of those cars which will be long remembered, not only for the fact that it will have won Le Mans but also that it reset the real meaning of NISMO as a link between success on the track and success on the road.”
I don't think physics is this guys strong point.
Not the engineer at Force India

mrluke

Making a track toy faster than an F1 car shouldn't be that hard for Red Bull, we know you can have a more powerful engine, larger tyres, more downforce and less weight than an F1 car....but combining all of that into a useable road car that will last 100k miles and cope with speed bumps......thats going to be a struggle.

And selling it for £650k ?

Lol.

SectorOne

Tim.Wright wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
Any Palmer wrote:"Believe me, I think this is the car that will go down in the annals of time and be one of those cars which will be long remembered, not only for the fact that it will have won Le Mans but also that it reset the real meaning of NISMO as a link between success on the track and success on the road.”
What does Andy Palmer have to do with Christian Horner?
I´m confused :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SiLo

Posted this in a few places, but apparently Newey wants a specific windscreen on it and AM are struggling to get a windscreen wiper on it because of the shape.
Felipe Baby!

Tim.Wright

SectorOne wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
Andy Palmer is the guy making the "faster than F1" claims - not Horner. He is now with Aston Martin.

SectorOne

Tim.Wright wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote: Coming from the same guy who said this about Nissan's LMP1 abortion:

Andy Palmer is the guy making the "faster than F1" claims - not Horner. He is now with Aston Martin.
Badly written article then, to me that´s Horners words judging by the paragraph and no mention of Palmer in that (only above Horner´s quotes)
But i believe you though... got a link maybe press release to look at?
Red Bull boss Christian Horner believes that the hyper-car would prove a point to F1 chiefs about what was possible in terms of performance.

"I think it will show with unrestricted aerodynamics what is possible," he said. "I think that F1 has got scope to move the lap times considerably quicker.

"There is a step coming for 2017, we personally would like it to go further, but we seem to be a lone voice in that.

"But F1 should be the ultimate. Taking unrestricted aerodynamics, this car will be seriously, seriously quick. And the initial indications we have had from it is that it has generated more downforce than any car that we have ever produced."

Tim.Wright

I think hes talking about their F1 car there no?

On motorsport.com its written:
Aston Martin CEO Andy Palmer said that the mission was clear: its limited edition model will have to be quicker than F1.

When asked if the AM-RB 001 had to be the fastest road car ever created, he said: "If you put it out there, somebody will always try to beat you - which is probably the point.

"As we sit here today, the raison d'etre that we've given the team is to be faster than an F1 car around Silverstone – or indeed any other F1 track.

"I am sure there are other cars that can go in straight lines quicker than this. We don't make drag cars, we make cars you can use. That is the raison d'etre we use."

SectorOne

No idea.

I read Palmer quotes at the top of the page, then Newey quotes then Horner quotes.
At least that is how i would interpret the article.

Regardless, it should be interesting to see if they can tap into the realms of Formula 1 speeds and still have the car go over a speed bump, not burn up while city-driving and just somewhat work on the streets.

RicME85

Re: RE: Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

SiLo wrote:Posted this in a few places, but apparently Newey wants a specific windscreen on it and AM are struggling to get a windscreen wiper on it because of the shape.
Could they not use the jet system that was developed for clearing water?

motobaleno

If they don't cheat and they really mean a road compliant (full US crash test, airbag and so on) and usable car, faster on circuit and not only on the straight than a F1, they are going to face a very big failure

Just_a_fan

A road car will require a wiper in order to be homologated by most/all legislatures.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tim.Wright

The wiper is the least of their worries. I did a few calcs in another discussion about this today...

Try finding tyres which will support a 1000+kg car giving around 1000+kg of downforce while cornering at 3G and topping out at 300+km/h while being road homologated, treaded and somewhat durable and somewhat cost effective.

In my opinion it's not possible within the constraints of a production car programme. You basically need a tyre as grippy as an F1 tyre but as strong as a truck tyre.

The fact that it has been cited as a 2 seater luxury car means it will never hit any decent weight target so the tyre requirements are going to be simply mental.