Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Just_a_fan

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

SR71 wrote: Side note, the Agera one:1 already achieves this right?
On E85, not petrol, I believe. Still jolly impressive.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SR71

Just_a_fan wrote:
FW17 wrote:

The engine is not doing 1000hp when in traffic in Dubai. 8)
True, but VW still struggled to cool the Veyron...
A W16 with quad turbos has unique cooling requirements.

We've also come along way in the past 15yrs, there are a handful of 1000hp (or damn near) on the market.

FW17

This lotus has no problem with cooling its 1300 hp engine

The engine alone weighs 195 Kgs which I think is quiet good for a 7L V8

dmjunqueira

Come on guys...Just stop losing time with this thread.
They already got all the attention they wanted.

Nickel

I'll swing to the devil's advocate side for a moment here.

1000hp/tonne is not impressive, it's undershooting it's target. F1 is in the neighborhood of 900hp/630kg (without driver) so let's call it 1300hp+/tonne without driver. Let's always consider without driver as this will certainly be how AM gives any numbers related to this project. In this department, the project appears to start at a deficit. It will be interesting to see how this is balanced out.

As for that lotus, I don't think it will achieve stellar aerodynamics with such an arrangement.

SR71

Nickel wrote:I'll swing to the devil's advocate side for a moment here.

1000hp/tonne is not impressive, it's undershooting it's target. F1 is in the neighborhood of 900hp/630kg (without driver) so let's call it 1300hp+/tonne without driver. Let's always consider without driver as this will certainly be how AM gives any numbers related to this project. In this department, the project appears to start at a deficit. It will be interesting to see how this is balanced out.

As for that lotus, I don't think it will achieve stellar aerodynamics with such an arrangement.

I think those are fair assumptions given the limited info we have. However, if we have 1.5 - 2.5X the amount of downforce an F1 car has, does that make up for a slight HP/Tonne deficit? This is with regards to ultimate lap time, not top end speed for instance. (active aero can fix that problem)

Nickel

SR71 wrote:
I think those are fair assumptions given the limited info we have. However, if we have 1.5 - 2.5X the amount of downforce an F1 car has, does that make up for a slight HP/Tonne deficit? This is with regards to ultimate lap time, not top end speed for instance. (active aero can fix that problem)
I think it is possible to overcome the deficit, but difficult, as is the whole project.

If the power to weight is only 1000hp/tonne, it must make up this 30%deficit in down force. Remember that this will not mean 1.3x the total downforce of an F1, but 1.3x the downforce to weight ratio of an F1. Active aero will trim a bit of fat off this depending on how active it is.

SR71

Nickel wrote:
SR71 wrote:
I think it is possible to overcome the deficit, but difficult, as is the whole project.

If the power to weight is only 1000hp/tonne, it must make up this 30%deficit in down force. Remember that this will not mean 1.3x the total downforce of an F1, but 1.3x the downforce to weight ratio of an F1. Active aero will trim a bit of fat off this depending on how active it is.
Nice, thanks.

I guess I'll hope they follow the trend of hyper car manufactures under promising and over delivering.

Which would be a very red bull thing to do.

VARIANT | one

1000hp/tonne is not impressive, it's undershooting it's target. F1 is in the neighborhood of 900hp/630kg (without driver) so let's call it 1300hp+/tonne without driver.
So, it's going to be an autonomous car then? :?

Nickel

VARIANT | one wrote: So, it's going to be an autonomous car then? :?

Road car weights are given without driver, f1 weights are with a driver. To compare apples to apples, you must either subtract the average f1 driver weight from the f1 car, or add it to the road car.

SR71

VARIANT | one wrote:

1000hp/tonne is not impressive, it's undershooting it's target. F1 is in the neighborhood of 900hp/630kg (without driver) so let's call it 1300hp+/tonne without driver.
If it was autonomous it would still count.

SiLo

Are we safe to assume that they will be doing something like Ferrari with the XX program?
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan

SR71 wrote:
VARIANT | one wrote:

Only if you let a computer controlled F1 car set the benchmark time to which it is being compared.

A computer-driven F1 would be quicker than a human-driven one because it would be able to react to in-corner grip faster even than the best driver. It would take time to develop, of course, but then so do the best human drivers...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SR71

Just_a_fan wrote:
SR71 wrote:
VARIANT | one wrote:
Only if you let a computer controlled F1 car set the benchmark time to which it is being compared.

A computer-driven F1 would be quicker than a human-driven one because it would be able to react to in-corner grip faster even than the best driver. It would take time to develop, of course, but then so do the best human drivers...
It wouldn't take time to develop, these systems have existed for a while.

But no, there was no 'human' involved in the challenge. The goal set out by AM/RB is to lap faster than an F1. If it the time was set by an autopilot system is irrelevant.

Would be quite cool actually and much safer for the untrained billionaires that will purchase this 5+ million dollar vehicle if they could sit back and enjoy a proper F1 lap.

SR71

SiLo wrote:Are we safe to assume that they will be doing something like Ferrari with the XX program?

Someone mentioned it but we have no confirmation.

I have heard that the owners will be able to take part in a racing series with other owners.

If they are able to follow eachother closely it will be quite a laugh in the face of all those who say high downforce and close racing is impossible.

Something tells me this is what RB want to prove more than anything.