Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
domh245

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Jalopnik seem to have found a source with more information about this car

http://jalopnik.com/aston-martin-s-1000 ... 1781090594

Key Points:

To be called AM-RB 001
7 litre V12, 1000 HP
2300lbs (1043kg)
'Negative space' and no wings/spoilers
"Venturi Channels" fed from normal AM grille
Tandem seats in a slight v shape
Similar to Caparo T1
99 to be produced

SR71

domh245 wrote:Jalopnik seem to have found a source with more information about this car

Key Points:

To be called AM-RB 001
7 litre V12, 1000 HP
2300lbs (1043kg)
Similar to Caparo T1
99 to be produced
Nice find!

10,000 RPM V12 should sound decent ;-)

Sounds like Horner was right when he said F1's limitations are a bit stone-age with "wings". The AM-RB 001 will create more downforce without them.

Samraj_official

domh245 wrote:Jalopnik seem to have found a source with more information about this car

Key Points:

To be called AM-RB 001
7 litre V12, 1000 HP
2300lbs (1043kg)
Similar to Caparo T1
99 to be produced
Not that 7.0 V12 again,that engine block is an extremely old 2000's ford engine block,why would they put an obsolete engine into an advanced chassis.

DiogoBrand

Pierce89 wrote:Bottom line, if a car that can road registered in the US beats a current f1 car around Silverstone, I'll eat my hat, your hat, or any other relevant piece of clothing. (I seem to remember a balaclava coming up in one of these types of discussion.)
I'll eat Haryanto's helmet if they make a road car and use it to lap Silverstone faster than the F1 record.

SR71

DiogoBrand wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Bottom line, if a car that can road registered in the US beats a current f1 car around Silverstone, I'll eat my hat, your hat, or any other relevant piece of clothing. (I seem to remember a balaclava coming up in one of these types of discussion.)
I'll eat Haryanto's helmet if they make a road car and use it to lap Silverstone faster than the F1 record.

They said faster than current F1 car, not F1 record, so now you're saying it doesnt count unless it beats the all time record?

The difference between pole and fastest race lap in 2015 was 5 seconds. Let me guess, it doesnt count unless it beats the pole time?

Jolle

There might be 99 people on this earth who can drive this fantasy car at a bit of speed, but only the few who can actually afford one and drive one, are already in formula one.

Most people would almost blackout at the braking and cornering force needed to get "Faster then F1" performance.

SR71

Jolle wrote:There might be 99 people on this earth who can drive this fantasy car at a bit of speed, but only the few who can actually afford one and drive one, are already in formula one.

Most people would almost blackout at the braking and cornering force needed to get "Faster then F1" performance.
I know, isn't that cool?

Still a good chance this thing shows up with autopilot as well (auto-pilot like assistance) to help with those laptimes.

DiogoBrand

SR71 wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:

They said faster than current F1 car, not F1 record, so now you're saying it doesnt count unless it beats the all time record?

The difference between pole and fastest race lap in 2015 was 5 seconds. Let me guess, it doesnt count unless it beats the pole time?
A pole time is set in ideal conditions. This car will definitely set it's time in ideal conditions. If you want to compare the AM-RB in ideal conditions to an F1 in less than ideal conditions, I will hardly consider it "faster than F1".
Otherwise you could say it's faster than an F1 because it beat an F1 out lap, or an F1 with a tyre puncture.

SR71

DiogoBrand wrote:
SR71 wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:

A pole time is set in ideal conditions. This car will definitely set it's time in ideal conditions. If you want to compare the AM-RB in ideal conditions to an F1 in less than ideal conditions, I will hardly consider it "faster than F1".
Otherwise you could say it's faster than an F1 because it beat an F1 out lap, or an F1 with a tyre puncture.
My bad... forgot about weather conditions. True weather conditions need to be equal.

Something tells me you wouldnt be impressed with a time 5 seconds off pole either way (even if that time still puts it on another planet compared to other production cars and still faster than the f1 backmarkers).

DiogoBrand

SR71 wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
SR71 wrote:

My bad... forgot about weather conditions. True weather conditions need to be equal.

Something tells me you wouldnt be impressed with a time 5 seconds off pole either way (even if that time still puts it on another planet compared to other production cars and still faster than the f1 backmarkers).
If the car lives up to half the hype they created you can be sure it will be incredibly fast and that I'll be impressed. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll have achieved what they advertised.

Holm86

Samraj_official wrote:

Key Points:

To be called AM-RB 001
7 litre V12, 1000 HP
2300lbs (1043kg)
Similar to Caparo T1
99 to be produced
Not that 7.0 V12 again,that engine block is an extremely old 2000's ford engine block,why would they put an obsolete engine into an advanced chassis.
To me, those engine specs does not make much sense. The Ferrari F12tdf makes 770hp at 8500 rpm, and thats a 6.3L engine. A 7.0L engine to rev to 10.000 rpm means it must be a completly new design, not made from an existing block. And then it would make more than 200 hp more than the Ferrari V12. To me it sounds a bit unlikely, and also very unlikely that AM is researching, designing and building a new N/A V12 from scratch for a car which is only going to be made in 99 copies. Expecially when they just desgined at new turbo V12 for their future cars.

toraabe

Why on earth a big heavy v12 normally aspirated engine. Obsolete at least 10 years ago. Much better with the new hot inside vee turbo 2,5 v6 engine. Low gravity and low building height.. lot of advantages,,,,

graham.reeds

Samraj_official wrote:

Key Points:

To be called AM-RB 001
7 litre V12, 1000 HP
2300lbs (1043kg)
Similar to Caparo T1
99 to be produced
You sure it is Ford? Merc owns 10% of AM and provides the engine for their road cars.

Merc also provides the 7.3 litre engines for Pagani uses. If I had to pick a 7l engine that is the one I would pick.

However a 5l twin turbo should produce close to 1k and be a fraction of the weight. Plus you could strap a Yasa motor to it for the green credentials.

Can you trust their source?

Samraj_official

You sure it is Ford? Merc owns 10% of AM and provides the engine for their road cars.

Merc also provides the 7.3 litre engines for Pagani uses. If I had to pick a 7l engine that is the one I would pick.

However a 5l twin turbo should produce close to 1k and be a fraction of the weight. Plus you could strap a Yasa motor to it for the green credentials.

Can you trust their source?[/quote]

the current aston 7.0 V12 is derived from the old 2000's aston 6.0 V12 engine which was built in the old ford factory,till now i think aston V12's are ford built
old news:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indus ... eal-report

FoxHound

No way in hell would Mercedes use their masterpiece to propel a Red Bull project. Especially one that could breed Red Bull into a competitor a la McLaren.
Last edited by FoxHound on 11 Jun 2016, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
JET set