Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Tim.Wright

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

bhall II wrote: However, this also appears to be a highly conceptual work that will likely look different when its introduced as a final design. For instance, the front-end doesn't appear to conform to any pedestrian impact standards, and that won't fly in the real world (because the authorities don't like it when pedestrians fly in the real world).
From what I've heard pedestrian safety regs don't apply to super low volume stuff.
Not the engineer at Force India

ChrisDanger

SR71 wrote:The chances of him being more interested in tiny wings versus ground effect over the entire length of the car is almost zero.
Can it be that he's simply utilised both?

bhall II

Tim.Wright wrote:From what I've heard pedestrian safety regs don't apply to super low volume stuff.
Did not know that. I thank you.

mrluke

bhall II wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:From what I've heard pedestrian safety regs don't apply to super low volume stuff.
The report said they were looking to homologate which sounds more regulated than an IVA test which is how the kit cars get on the road.

SR71

mrluke wrote:
bhall II wrote:
The report said they were looking to homologate which sounds more regulated than an IVA test which is how the kit cars get on the road.
I think they also said they won't even worry about countries that are too restrictive.

Given that I fully expect to see road going versions in the Arab countries and UK, however I think there have been hints that US customers might have to settle for track only versions.

No Lotus

mrluke wrote:
bhall II wrote:
They intend to homologate only in a limited number of jurisdictions. If I recall correctly, they weren't intending to make it road legal in the US.
SCUDERIA FASE
2016 Phase 1

No Lotus

Here's a brief look at the AM-RB 001 model starting at 1:16. There are obvious differences at the rear with large endplates and slightly different integration at the corners. Also the front edge of the car is sharper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCLU2Mwaj6E
SCUDERIA FASE
2016 Phase 1

Just_a_fan

SR71 wrote: Just looking at the front wing and assuming it's doing the same thing that it does on an F1 car says a lot as well....
Well, it provides downforce and sets up the airflow to the benefit of aerodynamic devices downstream. Which is exactly what an F1 car's front wing does. From the images available so far, the wing is very similar to those found on F1 cars. Similar wings will preform similar functions when in a moving air flow.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck."

Why do you assume that the car isn't intended to make use of racing car, specifically F1, principles where doing so would make it quicker? After all, the stated aim was to be quicker than an F1 car. Making a low drag F1 car but with F1 car downforce would certainly fit that brief.

If the aero designer's background is in F1, then it is reasonable to assume that he will make use of the things he is most familiar with where doing so would meet the brief.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

When you work on a restricted environement, you frequently wonder what you could do if getting rid of those restrictions. I´m sure Newey has wondered about this himself more than once.

I don´t think the philosophy will be completely different, he will probably try to explode the most restricting aspect of F1 rules. The diffuser is the best example, heavily restricted in F1, on the AMRB you don´t need an elevator because the diffuser is so big mechanics can almost go directly under the car without raising it at all :mrgreen:

BTW, I´ve always hoped Formula E to follow this philosophy. IMHO wings are outdated, aerodynamics have evolved enought to be able to create DF without the drag a highly cambered wing causes. I know this car has wings too, but you only need to compare it with a F1 wing to notice the difference I´m talking about. In FE where power is very limited they should have followed this route and cars could be several seconds faster than they are. Today FE cars looks like a poor copy of F1 cars, or like a GP3 car when they should look like a new generation of racing cars, exactly how this car look like.

rjsa

Andres125sx wrote:When you work on a restricted environement, you frequently wonder what you could do if getting rid of those restrictions. I´m sure Newey has wondered about this himself more than once.

I don´t think the philosophy will be completely different, he will probably try to explode the most restricting aspect of F1 rules. The diffuser is the best example, heavily restricted in F1, on the AMRB you don´t need an elevator because the diffuser is so big mechanics can almost go directly under the car without raising it at all :mrgreen:

BTW, I´ve always hoped Formula E to follow this philosophy. IMHO wings are outdated, aerodynamics have evolved enought to be able to create DF without the drag a highly cambered wing causes. I know this car has wings too, but you only need to compare it with a F1 wing to notice the difference I´m talking about. In FE where power is very limited they should have followed this route and cars could be several seconds faster than they are. Today FE cars looks like a poor copy of F1 cars, or like a GP3 car when they should look like a new generation of racing cars, exactly how this car look like.
I kind of agree with it in theory, but this wouldn't cut if you had to haul big fat batteries around. It would have the mother of all high CG's

Andres125sx

That´s true. But batteries have the advantage (compared to a ICE) they can be splitted in several packages and placed at different locations to optimize CG. Maybe not enough with a design this aggressive tough

I´ve just realices about something.... FE could reinterpret how a racing car is designed. Several decades ago front engines were replaced by rear/center engines because of weight distribution, but that´s based on a heavy ICE. If FE most heavy part is batteries, but they can be splitted, would be possible to reinterpret racing cars layout again? I mean, the cockpit could be placed further back, and the batteries splitted to put some on the front where they might be placed lower.

Totally off topic tough, but this made me wonder

Fulcrum

Anybody see a likely location for the fuel tank?

gandharva

Same as F1. Behind the driver(s).

rjsa

Andres125sx wrote:That´s true. But batteries have the advantage (compared to a ICE) they can be splitted in several packages and placed at different locations to optimize CG. Maybe not enough with a design this aggressive tough
A Model S drags north of half a ton in batteries alone. Another 170kg for motor and inverter. The ICE would probably run below half that weight on a full tank.

No Lotus

According to AN they are still deciding on transmission, hybridization, and the possibility of active suspension, not to mention the uncertainty as to engine. It will be an incredible accomplishment if they can pull this off in anywhere near their intended timeline - and in such an incredibly compact car.
SCUDERIA FASE
2016 Phase 1