Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
SR71

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Jolle wrote:
AratzH wrote:Is this an ECO version of AM's hypercar or was it a source of inspiration for Newey? :lol:

http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/a ... k=t3KBxJpV

https://ecourbanlab.com/wp-content/uplo ... BANLAB.jpg
Well... a Porsche 911 also started off, more or less, as a (fast) variation of a Volkswagen Beetle...
speaking of VW.. they should be in taking whoever designed that blue turd to court...

Jolle

SR71 wrote:
Jolle wrote:
AratzH wrote:Is this an ECO version of AM's hypercar or was it a source of inspiration for Newey? :lol:

http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/a ... k=t3KBxJpV

https://ecourbanlab.com/wp-content/uplo ... BANLAB.jpg
Well... a Porsche 911 also started off, more or less, as a (fast) variation of a Volkswagen Beetle...
speaking of VW.. they should be in taking whoever designed that blue turd to court...

http://www.vwvortex.com/wp-content/uplo ... 995951.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-P0yZBtv_Hqg/U ... ucture.jpg
Didn't make GM a electric car very similar few decades ago? GM1 or something...

AratzH

The GM EV1. They all look similar because they have been designed for aero efficiency.
MVRC -> TF

SR71

AratzH wrote:The GM EV1. They all look similar because they have been designed for aero efficiency.
http://icdn5.digitaltrends.com/image/19 ... 00x750.jpg

Yeah cars always converge in silhouettes but it's the detailing on the blue car. Parting lines and graphics more specifically on the rear three quarter views that feel like the blue car was designed by some rip off artists.

Can't say I'm a fan of the uber cheap front end on the blue car especially the off the shelf headlights mounted in some cheap black plastic.

That front splitter is amazing though so I understand the original posts reference to the AMRB001.

J.A.W.

I've seen that VW look on something from Mopar a few decades back..

"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

humble sabot

Oh come on you guys.
Can we get back to the topic at hand
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

humble sabot

So it had a presentation in Singapore before the GP. Been scouring for fresh angles or news. Will report if i find anything of value.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Edis

graham.reeds wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:Just out of curiosity: What would be the downsides of using a CVT?
The main one I can think of is that they'd probably have to develop it from scratch, since I don't think there are any CVT's made for that kind of power. But apart from that, considering weight, volume and every other factor, would it be viable?
Purchase the IP from Williams if they want a strong lightweight CVT.

Transmission loss is more than a conventional transmission, but not massively.
Williams used a Van Doorne transmission, originally developed by DAF and found in a number of vehicles from DAF and Volvo under the "Variomatic" name. Van Doorne transmissions eventually ended up at Bosch in the mid nineties, which is currently offering the technology to car manufacturers (it was sold by Audi for a while under the Multitronic name).

bill shoe

Red Bull's F1 gearboxes are light, stone reliable, and require no significant driver skill. I don't know why the Aston car would go in a different direction for transmission. Multi-speed transmissions become less important as raw power-to-weight gets stronger. Probably not a coincidence that the original CVT technology mentioned above was created by truck company DAF which obviously has power-to-weight ratios on the weak end of the spectrum. Not suggesting the RB-Aston will go single-speed, but I think they will quickly plug in a tranny with current F1 internals and then move their focus to other areas of the car.

Jolle

bill shoe wrote:Red Bull's F1 gearboxes are light, stone reliable, and require no significant driver skill. I don't know why the Aston car would go in a different direction for transmission. Multi-speed transmissions become less important as raw power-to-weight gets stronger. Probably not a coincidence that the original CVT technology mentioned above was created by truck company DAF which obviously has power-to-weight ratios on the weak end of the spectrum. Not suggesting the RB-Aston will go single-speed, but I think they will quickly plug in a tranny with current F1 internals and then move their focus to other areas of the car.
Well, actually, the CTV was used (and developed) for a very small family car, the DAF. I don't think they were ever exported to the US. One of the main attractions of the CTV was that the small car could drive as fast in reverse as it could forward. There was a special racing series on the TV, the "achteruit race" (reverse racing) with the most spectacular racing (and crashes)

bill shoe

:oops: Ha!, I assumed you meant the modern DAF which is a truck company. Forgot that DAF previously did other things.

Still think CVT has no future in car with high power-to-weight ratio, unless there are artificial limits like engine size/power (such as F1 technical regs which led to Williams trying CVT). In absence of artificial limits I still think gearbox is low importance so stick in F1 box and move on.

Jolle

bill shoe wrote::oops: Ha!, I assumed you meant the modern DAF which is a truck company. Forgot that DAF previously did other things.

Still think CVT has no future in car with high power-to-weight ratio, unless there are artificial limits like engine size/power (such as F1 technical regs which led to Williams trying CVT). In absence of artificial limits I still think gearbox is low importance so stick in F1 box and move on.
I don't see power/weight having anything to do with it. From a pure technical viewpoint a CTV is very power efficient (because you're always on max power) and then you have a double system you can run without a diff and have some kind of active torque vectoring.

But... a ctv is boring and a Hypercar shouldn't be. It misses the kick in the ass of a DTC or a robotic manual.

Gatecrasher

This thread has had many different topics, the last of which for me defines a sports car. Do I want a manual, tiptronic (fancy name for an automatic) or a CVT (who needs to change gears).

Aston will choose the best performing gearbox since they have a clear goal in mind.

I just hope for future owners (not poor me) that it will also deliver the best driving experience, sound great, look awesome, smell good and be the safest car on the track.

Now that Mercedes has also entered the "ring" this will make two cars setting the standard for future generations. :D :D :D :D

J.A.W.

Here's an '80s classic Ferrari 'hyper-car with F1 tech' ( & with something of that Charger/VW look as shown above in this page.)

"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

SR71

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-aston-m ... 1476714081

175 Units - 150 Street & 25 Track
1,000 kilos
"4,000 pounds total downforce (track-only package)"
“The key will be the car’s active suspension,” Newey says...
"25 track-only copies of the car will be able to hold the line while cornering at up to four g of lateral acceleration"

https://si.wsj.net/public/resources/ima ... 182802.jpg