Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
SR71

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Now that we have some numbers to play around with, I'm curious what 4000lbs of downforce (in track trim) equates to?

How does 4000lbs compare to F1 and LMP1?

1000kgs and 4000lbs downforce seem pretty solid numbers.

Also, since we don't know the street legal version DF lbs, even if we cut it in half, 2000lbs downforce seem pretty insane for street trim (my gut says it will be closer to 3000lbs).

Tim.Wright

Well obviously it depends on the speed at which that 4000lbs refers to. The number by itself is useless.

4000lbs in any case gives you a downforce to weight ratio if around 1.8:1 and will let you corner at around 4g with racing slicks - or in other words at F1 levels of performance. But obviously only if the car is able to produce the 4000lbs at a cornering speed.

If the quoted downforce is at say 300km/h that gives it a CzA of around 4 which is a lot for a road car but not nearly enough to corner like an F1 car.
Not the engineer at Force India

SR71

Tim.Wright wrote:Well obviously it depends on the speed at which that 4000lbs refers to. The number by itself is useless.

4000lbs in any case gives you a downforce to weight ratio if around 1.8:1 and will let you corner at around 4g with racing slicks - or in other words at F1 levels of performance. But obviously only if the car is able to produce the 4000lbs at a cornering speed.

If the quoted downforce is at say 300km/h that gives it a CzA of around 4 which is a lot for a road car but not nearly enough to corner like an F1 car.
Thanks for the info. The article I linked to on the previous page says cornering forces to 4g's, that aligns with your ratio.

MadMatt

Yes, probably at 300km/h. But considering that amount of downforce, drag cannot be neglected (ground effect or not), and will require A LOT of engine power to reach 300km/h. Active aero should help, but it will be interesting to see!

humble sabot

It's interesting to mentally compare this to the Chiron. The bug being the preeminent example of the brute force approach. There's certainly something to be said for that approach in terms of raw speed. I'm reminded of a blog I used to read "racecar physics" or somesuch, where the author after a long exploration into dynamics decided he was more comfortable -given the same power to weight ratio and chassis setup to match- with the heavier option and more outright power since it allows a bit more of a margin for error coming out of corners.

I'd be curious to know what the Cd is on the Chiron, and how the finalized aero on this little project compares in terms of raw drag at top speed.

Was it Ron Dennis with the comparison at Silverstone as regards the P1? The Chiron put in a lap with some pretty high top speeds at Sarthe. I wonder what tracks would lend themselves the best to the downforce threshold of this design. Eyeballing it looks like the dowforce will get useful at a slightly lower speed than the Caparo. Pretty safe to assume it won't have any drive in the front since it's a tad too compact. Will it be any good on the "new top gear" track? F1 style feet-up position suggests holding a line through "old lady's house" will be tricky. I'd suggest there's nothing tight enough at Nordschleiffe to make it too tricky.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Cold Fussion

I don't think there is much point comparing it to the chiron because they're completely different class of cars. I very much doubt there's a race track in the world where the Chiron will be close to what this car is meant to be like.

Holm86

We're going to get some more info very soon, as this car will make its debut very soon
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/02/aston- ... -auto.html

The Canadian International Autoshow runs from Feb. 17-26

bdr529

If I'm not to busy checking out the new Lada, I 'll have to make my way over to the Aston display and see the car

Holm86

bdr529 wrote:If I'm not to busy checking out the new Lada, I 'll have to make my way over to the Aston display and see the car
Please do, and we want photo documentation, of both the new LADA and the Aston :wink:

Holm86

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/superca ... hypercar#1

Pretty interesting info. Engine will be 6.5 V12 developed in conjunction with cosworth. Ricardo 7 speed gearbox, and battery pack from Rimac. So it will be a hybrid.

roon

Multimatic building the tub might explain the Canadian debut. They term it "MonoCell" so should I read that as "single-seater?

Holm86

roon wrote:Multimatic building the tub might explain the Canadian debut. They term it "MonoCell" so should I read that as "single-seater?
Naah, monocoque doesn't mean single seat either. So wouldn't put too much into the wording

F1NAC

Holm86 wrote:http://www.topgear.com/car-news/superca ... hypercar#1

Pretty interesting info. Engine will be 6.5 V12 developed in conjunction with cosworth. Ricardo 7 speed gearbox, and battery pack from Rimac. So it will be a hybrid.
So proud to be Croat now! Kudos to Rimac !!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

djos

Holm86 wrote:http://www.topgear.com/car-news/superca ... hypercar#1

I'm surprised it'll be a 6.5 litre motor more than anything, I'd have thought Cosworth could get 1,000 HP out of a smaller engine, say 4 litre's? 6.5 litre just seems huge!
"In downforce we trust"

Just_a_fan

roon wrote:Multimatic building the tub might explain the Canadian debut. They term it "MonoCell" so should I read that as "single-seater?
MonoCell is the term used by McLaren for their carbon chassis. I wonder if it's a McLaren trademark or if AMR are using the same supplier as McLaren and it's the supplier's name for it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.