Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Jolle

Re: Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

Fulcrum wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 11:52
Always interesting to see the evolution of the hypercars. This one looks like a Ferrari 488 reproduced with a Koenigsegg One:1.

The sharkfin, rooftop air-intake, and rear view mirrors are not my favourite pieces of car design, but I'm sure everything is there for very good reason.
I find the shark fin a bit like "lets make it look like the F1 car", same goes for the faux wastegate exits.

Fulcrum

True. The scoop also reminds of the Le Mans car that Webber flipped back in the 1990's. I guess Mercedes have drawn on their full working knowledge to produce this vehicle, so some similarities are inevitable.

Big Mangalhit

Jolle wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 12:26
Fulcrum wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 11:52
Always interesting to see the evolution of the hypercars. This one looks like a Ferrari 488 reproduced with a Koenigsegg One:1.

The sharkfin, rooftop air-intake, and rear view mirrors are not my favourite pieces of car design, but I'm sure everything is there for very good reason.
I find the shark fin a bit like "lets make it look like the F1 car", same goes for the faux wastegate exits.
Are they faux? can't they really be wastegate exits?

TAG

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 08:35
TAG wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 05:55
this is the first feels like the first car of a new era.

Like watching the Matrix for the first time, you knew you were watching a new type of film that marked the revolution to come thereafter.

Can't wait to see the first track reviews and numbers.
You´ve mistakenly posted in the Mercedes hyper car thread, instead of the Valkirie from Aston Martin where it belongs :P
Um I couldn't find that car, where is it? 8)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

MadMatt

Exactly, what makes you think they are fake?? The engine is the same as the F1 engine, which has this layout.

Also the fin makes sense with these fast cornering cars. Not to mention Ferrari is going to implement it on their new FXXK as well:

Shrieker

tomazy wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 20:58
So, will this be the new safety car in F1? I would think this would go a long way in safety car not beeing to slow any more.
I hope they do this...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Andres125sx

TAG wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 14:41
Andres125sx wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 08:35
TAG wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 05:55
this is the first feels like the first car of a new era.

Like watching the Matrix for the first time, you knew you were watching a new type of film that marked the revolution to come thereafter.

Can't wait to see the first track reviews and numbers.
You´ve mistakenly posted in the Mercedes hyper car thread, instead of the Valkirie from Aston Martin where it belongs :P
Um I couldn't find that car, where is it? 8)
In my dreams!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 09:13
Different philosophy to the AM project. Active aero front, centre and rear on the Merc. The AM is more striking, visually, but I wouldn't bet against the Merc being the better overall performer.
Holm86 wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 11:46
They are two different philosophies, the Merc is a study in powertrain efficiency, and the Aston is all about aero.
Though the Aston will have an amazing engine, it won't be as efficient as the Merc powertrain.
True. I must say the more I look at it, the more I like it :D

ClarkBT11

I zoomed in on the suspension for a closer look.

iulian_florea

I also think the fin is to make the car faster in the corners.
It makes it look like there's an anvil on top, so it adds downforce :D

ChrisDanger

Interesting shot from an article here: https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/merced ... gineering/

Sevach

From the front it looks like a bastard 918, but it's a cool car.

Kinda of an evolution of the 918 mechanically too, eletric powered front and ICE+eletric at the rear, main difference being 2 motors at the front instead of one and turbo.

Edax

timbo wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 07:19
Somewhat uninspiring IMO. The tech behind the car is undisputable, but the styling is bland.
That's OK, german styling attempts usually end in disaster anyway. ( Porsche got it right once on the 911 and were wise enough to keep the same design for a quadzillion years. :D) Better let the CFD and FEM define the car.

But for this kind of money, and without a renowned stylist behind it, it has to be the best road legal car out there, anything less won't do.

It certainly looks the business. But to prove the point I think Mercedes are obliged to strap Hamilton in the car, ship it to Nurburg, and have him beat the crap out of anything with a numberplate which has ever driven the Nordschleife in anger.

VARIANT | one

Holm86 wrote:
They are two different philosophies, the Merc is a study in powertrain efficiency, and the Aston is all about aero.
Though the Aston will have an amazing engine, it won't be as efficient as the Merc powertrain.
Is there a need for powetrain efficiency, though? I'm trying to picture the average Valkyrie or Project One buyer skipping on a day at the track because "fuel just got too cost prohibitive". Ha ha.

Andres125sx

VARIANT | one wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 02:34
Holm86 wrote:
Is there a need for powetrain efficiency, though? I'm trying to picture the average Valkyrie or Project One buyer skipping on a day at the track because "fuel just got too cost prohibitive". Ha ha.
Obviously no, but if we become logical, then there´s no need for any hypercar