Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Jolle

Re: Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

WaikeCU wrote:I could imagine these hyper cars are meant to be driven hard and are not meant to be going around a roundabout. I could see it being useless in low speed in between traffic kind of use, but drive it hard on a track day and the car would come alive. More downforce, more grip, once you go faster and faster.
Well, it looks like that the last big jump with supercars that they made, from the F1/F40/Enzo/CLK kind of cars to the LaFerrari/P1's that they are drivable at low speed without much difficulty and with all new active tech (gearboxes, throttle response, spring/dampers and hybrid power) they are Jeckle and Hyde. One should expect the next breed of hyper cars to have the same kind of road going capabilities.

WaikeCU

SR71 wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:I could imagine these hyper cars are meant to be driven hard and are not meant to be going around a roundabout. I could see it being useless in low speed in between traffic kind of use, but drive it hard on a track day and the car would come alive. More downforce, more grip, once you go faster and faster.
You don't say? :-)

But seriously what always impresses me is they still cold weather test these HyperCars. Can't wait to see spy photos testing in Sweden or Canada winter or something.
I always thought that is a way of testing reliability. Can it withstand the cold temperatures? Honestly, you won't take this out on a trackday in these freezing temperatures, but I could imagine some millionaire taking it out for a spin on a freezing Sunday in town (no pun intended). It can be used for everyday use, but experts know it's not made for it. It still has to survive the daily drives.
Jolle wrote:
Well, it looks like that the last big jump with supercars that they made, from the F1/F40/Enzo/CLK kind of cars to the LaFerrari/P1's that they are drivable at low speed without much difficulty and with all new active tech (gearboxes, throttle response, spring/dampers and hybrid power) they are Jeckle and Hyde. One should expect the next breed of hyper cars to have the same kind of road going capabilities.
I think Mclaren are the ones that have given the supercars a remarkable twist in road comfort. Hearing Clarkson saying on Top Gear that the MP4/12C is as comfortable as a Rolls Royce is remarkable and a game changer. While other supercars in that era don't even match that road comfort as the Mclaren at all. That's just a quite normal supercar imo. I believe it's the same with the P1 tho. I think it uses a similar or next generation suspension system that derives from the MP4/12C. So therefor I think it's fairly comfortable for a daily ride.

AMG.Tzan

https://twitter.com/linkinpark/status/8 ... 7017505793 Mercedes Design Studio...do you think this is a first look at the AMG hypercar??
Looks rear-engined to me...but no roof-scoop! Maybe just a glimpse into the design language they are going to use!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

roon

It's also way too small. How do they expect anyone to fit in it?

Just_a_fan

Looks to me like they're hosting a competition between designers/design students. Several different things being designed there.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

roon wrote:It's also way too small. How do they expect anyone to fit in it?
It's bigger on the inside, duh.....

Edis

Cold Fussion wrote:
roon wrote:I wonder if those big NACA ducts are the main radiator ducts. They seem too big for only engine bay cooling. The central roof intake might be limited confirmation of them using their F1 engine architecture. Although I wonder how related the two will end up being. Will we see a 500+ hp/l engine in this car? Or something with more displacement using similar hybrid tech. Furthermore would the NVH of a high output triple throw 90* V6 be acceptable in this application or might we see some altered geometry?
How are they going to deal with the fact that these F1 engines are going to have crazy high NOx emissions? If they go for a standard three-way cat then they will no longer be able to run full time lean, removing one of the core 'features' of these engines. Perhaps they will use some form of urea injection into the exhaust to catalyse the NOx. Whether or not that is reasonable for the target audience is unknown to me.
I expect them to have lower NOx emissions than ordinary direct injected gasoline engines operating in stratified mode. NOx emissions can also be handled the same way; NOx storage catalyst and switching between lean and stoichiometric at part load. The NOx storage catalyst store NOx emissions when the engine is operating lean, and when the catalyst is full the engine is switched to stoichiometric and NOx is reduced just like in a three way catalyst.

Holm86

Tobias Moers, the head of AMG, has reaffirmed that Project One will come with a 1.6L turbocharged V6 straight from Formula One, but there will be a few changes to the engine to make it viable in a street-legal super car. For example, the engine's crank will be cast rather than machined. In the name of emissions, the V6's compression ratio will be reduced. And in order to allow the engine to idle at 1,200rpm rather than a race car-like 4,000rpm, AMG will have to rework the fuel injection system. The engine will, however, retain the ability to scream all the way to 11,000rpm.

Unfortunately, the V6 will also keep the racing car's maintenance schedule. That means the engine will have to be totally rebuilt after 50,000km, or just 31,000 miles.

"We have an understanding of about 50,000km," Moers said of the car's engine longevity, according to Motoring. "This OK for us. I think that's good enough."

Still, that shouldn't be much of an issue considering most owners won't be using the Project One as a daily driver. Moreover, anyone with deep enough pockets to afford the $2.4 million Project One in the first place likely won't balk at the price of a full engine rebuild.

In addition to the powertrain details, Moers also confirmed that the Project One will use an automated manual gearbox in place of a dual-clutch unit. Moers cited weight as the reason for going with an automated manual.

The Project One's gas engine will be supplemented by a pair of electric motors at the front axle. Each electric motor will provide about 163 horsepower; total system power will be in the neighborhood of 1,000 horsepower.

AMG is planning on building just 275 units of the Project One. The car will be shown for the first time at this fall's Frankfurt Motor Show. Deliveries should commence by late 2018 or early 2019.
Why does the injection system need rework to be able to idle at a lower speed? Are the injectors not able to open and close fast enough, to allow a short enough duration with the high pressure of these systems? I thhought the camshafts would be the ones who needed redesigning.

And why does the crank need to be cast, rather than machined? Seems you would only do that for cost reasons, but why cheap out in such a car?

And does lowering the combustion ratio reduce emissions? I thought a higher CR gave a more efficient combustion i.e a cleaner combustion?

Source : http://www.leftlanenews.com/amg-dishes- ... 94916.html

Mr.G

It kind of reminds me this - link (scroll it down for more details).
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Tim.Wright

Roll and heave look to be decoupled on each axle.
Not the engineer at Force India

seventhsin

Twin turbo?

humble sabot

Definitely single turbo. The ducting just splits around the sides of the unit.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Jolle

seventhsin wrote:
27 May 2017, 13:20
Twin turbo?
Looks like it. F1 only has a single turbo because of the regulations and the implementation of the H unit.

popovic94

It is not twin turbo, here are a lot more pics.
http://www.autosspeed.com/behold-the-am ... owertrain/
"Whoever you are, no matter what social position you have, rich or poor, always show great strength and determination, and always do everything with much love and deep faith in God. One day you will reach your goal." Ayrton Senna