Chen Engine commercialized

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Chengine

Chen Engine commercialized

Chen engine is any internal combustion engine that uses high pressure air to purge out exhaust air. Recently Mercedes Benz announced that their new gasoline engine uses electric compressor to boost low rpm inlet air pressure. This is lowest grade Chen engine implementation. The high inlet pressure will purge out exhaust gas even with slight back pressure at idle. The efficiency gained at partial load is very significant. Mercedes is reported to see 10% to 15% gain in this new engine. As this new engine uses 48 volt, and relocated air-conditioning compressor and water pump, it is hard to pin point the contribution Chen engine made.

Not only Mercedes put Chen engine into practice, Audi also has diesel Chen engine in their SQ7-TDI. As diesel engine has higher compression ratio than gasoline engine and the engine at idle is not partial vacuum, thus the expected improvement is not as great as gasoline engine. Nonetheless, 7% gain in efficiency is reported by Audi, they called it electric supercharger to boost low rpm inlet air pressure, thus purge out exhaust gas at low rpm.

Both engines are turbo driven, when turbo is up to speed, the engine does not need electric compressor to provide the boost in air pressure and the flushing action of waste gas. This is just fine, as electric compressor can not provide large volume air.

The net efficiency gain, (do not forget torque gain at low rpm), should induce more auto manufacturers to follow the two German auto makers in upgrading their future engines

flynfrog

Re: Chen Engine commercialized

It has really nothing to do with the "Chen Engine". If I recall your engine was trying to inject air on the exhaust stroke for some unknown gain. This engine appears to be an electric supercharger used at low rpm (the additional air mass is present for the entire cycle).

flynfrog

Original thread for those who weren't around

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19049

I cant find any link to what Chen is talking about

here is an article on the new MB 48v engine systems
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/t ... er-engine/

Cold Fussion

My mind and body are ready for this roller coaster ride.
flynfrog wrote: here is an article on the new MB 48v engine systems
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/t ... er-engine/
I'm a little confused as to what this actually means:
Ian Adcock wrote:E-booster The easier use of high-demand electrical systems. An Integrated Starter Generator (ISG) features on the six for the first time, as a result; it is responsible for hybrid functions such as boost and energy recovery. When paired with an e-booster – similar to that on the Bentayga diesel – the ISG’s additional 7kW enables the engine to achieve peak torque within two seconds under full throttle acceleration
From the pictures it seems like this ISG thing is inbuilt in the flywheel, so what does "7kW enables the engine to achieve peak torque within two seconds under full throttle acceleration" mean in this context? I can only think it means it reaches peak engine torque from the car at a stand still.