Think left on the next exit, darling

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Ciro Pabón

Think left on the next exit, darling

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7254078.stm

A neuro-headset which interprets the interaction of neurons in the brain will go on sale later this year.

"This is the first headset that doesn't require a large net of electrodes, or a technician to calibrate or operate it and does require gel on the scalp," she said. "It also doesn't cost tens of thousands of dollars."

If true, I think this could replace the steering wheel some day, maybe sooner than expected.

BTW, "... if the player smiles, winks, grimaces the headset can detect the expression and translate it to the avatar in game." This could be less than handy for Kimi. :)
Ciro

Ted68

Re: Think left on the next exit, darling

Oh I can see it now, first time someone gets cut off in traffic and thinks, "Damn, I'd like to ram that bastard off the road..."
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

dumrick
dumrick

I wonder how a working prototype as a vehicle control device would perform in the event of spotting an interesting miniskirt in the sidewalk?

Conceptual
Conceptual

The Human element will be removed from the driving chore long before this is implemented...

Humans are dumb, easily distracted, and take a childish delight in breaking minor traffic laws. They are the #1 cause of auto accidents, as well as #1 moneymaker for local law enforcement.

I cant wait till auto-drive like there was in Demolition Man.

Ciro Pabón

Conceptual wrote:Humans are dumb...
Hey, speak for yourself! :)
Ciro

teecof1fan

You're right about the automation part, conceptual, but people like to drive. I think you'll be able to switch between manual (you drive) and automatic (computer drives). Personally I would choose driving myself over auto-drive any day because driving is fun; sitting in an auto-car on a conference call is not! :D Even driving completely within the law is still fun! :lol:
Ahhh, the most soothing, relaxing, and beautiful sound in the world. Looks cool too! http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-9Io41bt8

Andres125sx

Conceptual wrote:The Human element will be removed from the driving chore long before this is implemented...
Agree, and even when some people will still enjoy driving for himselves, that will be with a wheel, not with a headset. A headset would be nice for transport, not for driving, and there are auto-pilots TODAY in the market (Tesla) what is better than any headset

I don´t see any advantage for this headset, interesting, but don´t see any future for it