Average air consumption of an engine.

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Conceptual

Re: Average air consumption of an engine.

Carlos wrote:Hope this isn't OT but Chris is one Willey Coyote. Reading his threads from the last few weeks is starting to make sense. It's like that scene in Apocalypse Now where Captain Willard says to Colonel Kurtz " Method? I don't see any method." Except in reverse. I do see a method ... if I'm wrong stick a newspaper between my cheeks and light it on fire! A vortex tube would lower the temperature of intake air for a denser mixture and a Tesla Turbine would pack it in the motor like a Turbo. That's his interest in the average air consumption of an engine. He's got to do his calculations. Did I get it right Chris?
OMG! YOU FOUND ME OUT!

I guess it wasn't blatantly obvious from the other thread where I said exactly that.

I was interested in using the Tesla Turbine to feed a vortex tube, and then feed the intake from the cold end.

But I know that to reach the approx. 350CFM needed, the turbine would need to be 8" in diameter, and 6" thick. And not to mention that the vortex tube would have to be 3"!!!

As I stated on the other thread, very clearly I may add, my intent now is to use a 3" turbine and a 1" vortex tube to feed 35CFM, or 10% of the total CFM usage, into the intake at -20C with the hopes that it increases horsepower.

I tell you what Carlos. When I build and test the first one, I'll send it to you for an independant evaluation. That way, you can tell EVERYONE that you have finally figured out what I was up to...

What a dip. I haven't done anything but ask some questions about feasibility on these boards before I invest money into a prototype. It is not as if I have manipulated the board members into developing anything for me, so what is your point?

Chris

SZ
SZ

Belatti;

I've forgotten exactly where but somewhere at home I've got some papers detailing WAVE (similar to LES) models for various street engines, where every compromise in intake and exhaust systems are properly modeled. Forgotten where this is from, possibly a Ricardo whitepaper. I'd have a look through their website (isn't there a newsletter one can subscribe to?).

How these things get modeled is interesting, particularly when you get into less-than-ideal intake system geometries and variable length/geometry intake/exhaust systems.

Ciro Pabón

I read about the Tesla turbine because of Conceptual mentioning it in the "other" thread, but I did not add 2+2 as Carlos, well done, Sherlock.

I don't know if I misread what I saw about the Tesla turbine, but isn't that type of turbine sensitive to backpressure on the exit? I said something similar in the "other" thread.
Ciro

Conceptual

Ciro Pabón wrote:I read about the Tesla turbine because of Conceptual mentioning it in the "other" thread, but I did not add 2+2 as Carlos, well done, Sherlock.

I don't know if I misread what I saw about the Tesla turbine, but isn't that type of turbine sensitive to backpressure on the exit? I said something similar in the "other" thread.
It is only subject to the backpressure if there is vairable resistance on the output. Since I do not plan on forcing the air into the intake, simply pumping it into the airbox, I should get the required PSI into the vortex tube without any stop/start to the flow.

Chris