Why no Hydraulic Drive Systems on roadcars?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
KASCII

Re: Why no Hydraulic Drive Systems on roadcars?

In a farm situation I have operated both conventional and hydrostatic driven machinery. From my experience a hydrostatic drive, although it has its pluses such as near infinite speed selection, is very hard of fuel (required a larger engine). Almost 110%-115% greater fuel use than conventional drive. Depending on job being done.

But the machinery I'm thinking of is from the late 1990's. I know that the earlier designs were even more inefficient, in the 120% worse range. But in certain farm applications, where you need precise speed control, hydrostatic drive is a huge bonus.

In farm machinery applications, a speed range is gear selected. The engine speed can vary, but is normally fixed at a specific speed, to prevent lugging the engine or stressing the hydrostatic pumps and motors. The speed variation is obtained by adjusting the fluid volume flow. I wouldn't know if operation and performance is different on newer equipment though.

Sixbarboost

The viscous losses would be massive even at city-speeds and on the highway absolutely terrible.

But it works perfectly on the mining equipment I have worked with, but they don't move so fast.

Facts Only

One of the large yellow goods manufacturers conducted a long interanl study into the fuel efficiency of traditional transmission drive vs hydrostatic drive and found that a traditional transmission is more efficient and the gap is widening with improving transmission technology.
Hydrostatic can offer better packaging but these days a gearbox offers more capabilty as well.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Zynerji

Great read for a post that has spanned 7 years!

Great question OP! Answered a few questions that have been rattling around in my head for years!