Ferrari 458 Italia

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
bhall

Re: Ferrari 458 Italia

This is the first Ferrari Spider I've liked as much, if not more, than its conventional counterpart.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPIIBRFDNcw[/youtube]

mx_tifoso

This just may be NSFW...

Naked 458 Challenge:

'Right click -> view' on Ff.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bhall

458 Speciale introduced at Frankfurt Auto Show.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sOCNQ_bb60[/youtube]
[i]Car and Driver[/i] wrote:If you ask Ferrari, there are too many people who love the 458 Italia but are put off by its measly 562 horsepower and piddling 202-mph top speed. At least that’s what we assume the thought process is, as the gang in Maranello pulls from the oven the 458 Speciale—a 458 variant that’ll work even the sturdiest of leather kilts into a bunch.

The third roadgoing take on the 458 following the Italia and the Spider (the 458 Challenge is a track-only edition, although it wouldn’t surprise us if at least one example hasn’t spent a few late nights on public thoroughfares), the 458 Speciale is the sort of car we expected to see at September’s Frankfurt auto show. Now that it’s official, we’re glad to report that the Speciale earns its moniker by addressing three basic tenets of suprecardom: power, grip, and aerodynamics.

The naturally aspirated 4.5-liter V-8 is now rated at 597 horsepower, although torque remains steadfast at 398 lb-ft. Ferrari says it’s the highest-output naturally aspirated Ferrari V-8 of all time, and that its 133 horsepower per liter is the “highest ever achieved by a roadgoing naturally aspirated engine.” Equally as important is the Speciale’s weight loss, with Ferrari quoting a dry weight of 2844 pounds—down from a claimed 3042 pounds in the Italia—which gives it a power-to-weight ratio of 4.77 pounds per horsepower. The Italian marque says that 0–62 mph will take 3.0 seconds—which we find conservative as we’ve recorded 3.0-second runs to 60 in Italia guise in previous testing—and 124 mph will arrive in 9.1 seconds. But, really, who’s counting—we’re all gentlemen here, right?

To address grip, Ferrari introduced a new algorithm to its Side Slip angle Control system (SSC), which is said to make it easier to achieve car control at the limit. By performing real-time analysis of the car’s lateral slip and comparing it with the computer’s target value, the system can dole out the power—or not—via integration with the car’s traction control and the electronic differential. To make the most of the setup, the brand collaborated with Michelin on a specially honed set of Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, said to improve lap times—Ferrari is claiming a lap time of its Fiorano circuit of 1.23.5; for comparison’s sake, the LaFerrari tops the production-spec timesheets with a sub-1.20.00 lap—consistency, and provide maximum grip in the wet. Essentially, this means owners’ driving skills will appear to be almost as impressive as their cash-piling skills. The Speciale’s lateral acceleration number of 1.33 g is another best, one that the prancing horse proclaims to be the “highest lateral acceleration ever achieved” in its lineup.

To refine aerodynamics, the Ferrari Styling Center called in the able assistance of Pininfarina. The hood gains a noticeably larger heat extractor, and a more chiseled lower fascia and grille replace the friendlier-looking openings of the, er, base 458. Dual exhaust outlets replace the triple-exit setup of the Italia and the Spider, and a more aggressive diffuser resides just below the newly split exhaust. Active aerodynamics are said to balance an increase in downforce while reducing drag, but the Italians didn’t get into specifics as to how this is done. Ferrari did say, however, that this is just the beginning for its “advanced active aerodynamics,” which will become a standard feature on all of its future models.

mx_tifoso

This model doesn't feel as special to me, in contrast to the Challenge Stradale and the Scuderia.

I really hope that I can one day be the keeper of a Scuderia. I wouldn't want to own an recent model besides it and a CS.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

allstaruk08

How about the Liberty Walk 458? :wink: Image Image