McLaren MP4-12C

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
WhiteBlue

Re: McLaren MP4-12C

FoxHound wrote:Haug 1 Dennis 0?
I would be careful with such a conclusion based on the figures that Pup contributed. AMuS is a German publication with very close ties to the three pointed star. They would naturally have a critical stance towards McLaren. Their report that McLaren have missed the sales target and are not making money on the 12C should be taken with a grain of salt. I can imagine that there is some substance but Dennis may still be able to turn it around. I would rather wait and see. But the AMuS report is an indication that McLaren could have a much bigger job on their hands than some enthusiasts thought they would have. And Scuderia McLaren could be a dream that might be as elusive as Scuderia Lotus proved to be.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

FoxHound

It isn't conclusive WB.

Speculative at best. I just hope McLaren come through it all unscathed and better for it.
JET set

Pup
Pup

Don't know if this deserves a topic of its own or not, since it's mostly an upgraded/updated/restyled 12c.

Nonetheless, here we have the McLaren 650s...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIDMxaNHfJ0[/youtube]

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/genev ... -and-video

641hp
Top speed - 207mph
0-62 - 3.0 second
Price - ~$320,000

RZS10

P1 in the front ... MP4 in the back ... meh ...

They could at least try to make them a bit more different, some people might not even be able to tell them apart :D

Pup
Pup

Well, it's really just an upgrade to a 12c, so you wouldn't expect a complete body change I guess.

What strikes me is that McLaren seem to have as much trouble coming up with a naming scheme for their cars as Ferrari do with their F1 contenders.

(I also wonder if BMW doesn't have a trademark on 650.)

RZS10

Pup wrote:What strikes me is that McLaren seem to have as much trouble coming up with a naming scheme for their cars as Ferrari do with their F1 contenders.

That's why there's the "S" :D

I guess 650 because it has 650PS.

But you're right, it is weird and from 2015 on it'll get weirder: P13 (entry model) ... MP4-12C ... 650S (updated MP4) ...P1
lolwut?

I wonder how much McLaren will charge for 25PS more and a facelift (compared to MP4).

wesley123

This one actually looks very good. The MP4-12C looked rather conservative, where the P1 had a rather "over the top" look. To me, takes the best of both worlds and that creates a very good looking car
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan

I like that; it's a good refresh of the -12C.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FoxHound

Personally I prefer the 12C to the 650S.

The front appears grafted onto the car to give it the "P1" effect. Probably streets ahead of the 12c in terms of performance. Just seems a tad cynical.
JET set

el-Magico

RZS10 wrote:P1 in the front ... MP4 in the back ... meh ...

They could at least try to make them a bit more different, some people might not even be able to tell them apart :D
Maybe McLaren have lazy designers? #-o
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

FoxHound

JET set

Emerson.F

Long live the King!! I mean long live the 650S.

Ps: i actually like the new design of the front.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

xpensive

Pup wrote:Well, it's really just an upgrade to a 12c, so you wouldn't expect a complete body change I guess.

What strikes me is that McLaren seem to have as much trouble coming up with a naming scheme for their cars as Ferrari do with their F1 contenders.

Right, you should never mess with the bavarians.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"