What is Ferrari?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
qw56q

Re: What is Ferrari?

richard_leeds wrote:
qw56q wrote:last time i checked which i will admit is along time ago so it might of changed Ferrari owns Fiat, Maserati, Lancai, and Alfa
I think that is the wrong way around, Fiat is the parent company.
Oh, well there still one big group.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

But there is an organized order to it. That makes all the difference.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Richard
Richard

The subsidiary/parent relationship makes a huge difference.

A parent company in trouble impacts on the subsidiaries through credit ratings, and less cash to come to the rescue if a subsidiary is in trouble. A subsidiary in trouble can usually be isolated from the parent, and can raise cash on the basis of the healthy parent's credit rating/guarantees.

Scuderia_Russ

ISLAMATRON wrote:mafia money for sure, thats why they didnt want the FIA or even any independent accounting agency near their books to implement a budget cap.
LOL.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Although at times I have been critical of Ferrari's management style and their manipulation of the media, to imply that their products are anything short of being truly world-class and beauty in motion, does them a terrible disservice.

And no, the prancing horse is not made in China. It's crafted with passion and the highest standards of workmanship in Italy.

Please, don't trash these lovely cars (or the wonderful people who design and construct them) just because of tainted politics or just because most Ferrari owners live in a financial level above most of us.

OK, back to the original topic.
Fiat Group is the largest vehicle manufacturer in Italy, with a range of cars starting from small Fiat city cars to sports cars made by Ferrari, and vans and trucks ranging from the Ducato to Iveco commercial trucks. Besides Fiat Group Automobiles S.p.A, the Fiat Group automotive companies include Ferrari S.p.A., Iveco S.p.A. and Maserati S.p.A. The Fiat Group Automobiles S.p.A. companies include: Abarth & C. S.p.A., Alfa Romeo Automobiles S.p.A., Fiat Automobiles S.p.A., Fiat Professional and Lancia Automobiles S.p.A.. Ferrari S.p.A. is 85% owned by the Fiat Group, but is run autonomously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat

There you are folks, Ferrari is owned almost entirely by FIAT. Now you know where Ferrari go to when they need money.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

alelanza
alelanza

Success/image/sponsors make all the difference

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=39752
Alejandro L.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Ferrari is a high class Italian prostitute which competes in various series of four wheeled motorsport and in the low volume sports car market.

Belatti
Belatti

xpensive wrote:
Belatti wrote: About the 300 million the F1 teams spents, I guess at least half of that is covered by sponsorship. And maybe some of the rest by "technical" partnerships.

For example: How much does Ferrari spents in brakes per year? And how much does Brembo charges for that? I mean, its a good publicity for Brembo to charge a lot less and say "we supply Ferrari"...
If Brembo's brakes are for free, it would only mean that the true cost of running the team is even higher than budget, no?

You can account them as an expense, even without spending 1 cent. Is the xchange in publicity what Brembo earns. They can say: "We develop and provide Ferrari brakes."

OF course all this is hypothetical, because we dont know how these things are managed, but that certainly happens in many teams I know from here.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

jedc53
jedc53

Ferrari is a sports car manufacturer based in Maranello,Italy.Ferrari is very costly car.It is high class Italian prostitute.It has good power train but built over complex to keep others hands off.

xpensive
xpensive

Good Lord, I forgot I opened this thread a while ago, but I guess you get answers as you make your questions?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

rich1701
rich1701

Well Ferrari of course gets more share of FIA prize money than any other team.
A lot of their budget is subsidized by Fiat in times of uncertainty.

Ferrari unlike other car companies have no advertising budget.

They still have a very lucrative sponsorship deal with Philip morris or whatever they are now even though tobacco advertising is banned. I would say their sponsorship income is more than any other team.

In 2008 ferrari recorded sales of (euros) 496m quarterly, with a trading profit of 196m a quarter. whilst receiving 100m USD from the FIA for winning the 2007 constructors title.

But to answer the question, The old man said, What is Ferrari? Ferrari is a dream

donskar
donskar

Ferrari is the only auto manufacturer about whom such a thread would ever be started in a forum of this sort.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

TheRMVR

rich1701 wrote:A lot of their budget is subsidized by Fiat in times of uncertainty.
That might have been true 20 years ago. But for a decade now, it's the other way around. Check the FIAT GROUP results, Ferrari is the only one making solid profits. And it has been like that for more than a decade. Fiat depends on Ferrari in times of uncertainty these days.

OT: There are cars, and then there is Ferrari. The non plus ultra.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ferrari are a great sports car company. You cannot name many better at what they do.
However, when Lamborghini, Mercedes, Porsche, McLaren and a couple of others high end makers like Pagani can make cars that match the Ferrari equivalent, for a greatly reduced priced with near equal cache in terms of status... they will be in a world of hurt.
A badge will only carry you for so long as Mercedes found out. Ferrari need to make themselves compatible with future market requirements, and that is not happening.

Sure Jay Leno types will always buy a Ferrari, but how many of these people actually exist today compared to the noveau riche who have slightly more discreet and more worldly aware tastes.

Luca says Ferrari will never be the greenest and thats fair enough, but have no green at all is just plain stupid. In the next 10 years expect an ailing FIAT to sell its prized possession to alleviate its woes. And once that happens, Ferrari will becaome a cash cow.....nothing ever lasts for ever.
More could have been done.
David Purley

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:....
Luca says Ferrari will never be the greenest and thats fair enough, but have no green at all is just plain stupid. In the next 10 years expect an ailing FIAT to sell its prized possession to alleviate its woes. And once that happens, Ferrari will becaome a cash cow.....nothing ever lasts for ever.
Ferrari will be incorporating some sort of hybrid technology into their future models. But only to supplement the normal ICE, not take their place.