Red Bull X1

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
tarzoon

Re: Red Bull X1

Incredibly aggressive! I wish we could see one of these being built. [-o< [-o<

If someone can convince Dieter Mateschitz that this can make money, maybe he decides to create a super formula.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Red Bull X1, (Adrain Newey dream come true)

tommylommykins wrote:Nice to see the CVT transmission though. It's a theoretical optimum for transmission, and something I'd like to see unbanned in F1.
Out of interest, was Newey at Williams when they tested their CVT car? Would that link (no matter how much real involvement Newey has had in this (probably none?)) be the reason that this car has one?
Newey was at Williams at that time, it was 1993 that they tested it, and the only driver to do so was David Coulthard who was the Test Driver at the time if i recall properly. Only track it was tested on is Silverstone.

According to fans there that day, it took a massive 1.5 seconds of the lap time from their stop watches as timing info wasnt as free to come about then as it is now.

lolzi
lolzi

tarzoon wrote:Incredibly aggressive! I wish we could see one of these being built. [-o< [-o<

If someone can convince Dieter Mateschitz that this can make money, maybe he decides to create a super formula.
Yeah, it should be the "Red Bull Challenge" with all X1's :lol:

Richard
Richard

lolzi wrote:
tarzoon wrote:Incredibly aggressive! I wish we could see one of these being built. [-o< [-o<

Yeah, it should be the "Red Bull Challenge" with all X1's :lol:
I think it is called Indy car. They seem open to this sort of concept...

safeaschuck

I don't think a whole series of them would be a cost effective exercise, but then I can't imagine you guys were being litteral as we are seeing formulae shrink, merge, and wind up at the moment. However...
Given that Red Bull have production facilities and staffing levels that were established prior to F1's cost reduction measures, not to mention an entire, pretty much spare team and a cavalcade of high profile drivers in a variety of series, it seems like a couple of working vehicles to blitz lap records at some of the worlds most famous venue's, to me would be a cost to benefit ratio bargain compared to their initial investment in F1. The fan effect would make Monaco an easy target, and on a grand prix weekend it would generate a huge amount of publicity, Le-Mans, Goodwood, nurburgring (yawn), top gear test track (also, yawn). Then send them out to a fleet of salivating motor journalists, Plus a fleet of mock ups for display at shows and other events around the world. After all, Red Bull put on enough of there own to events to give a mock up or two a fair bit of use. Doubtless Sony can make great mileage out of the tie up too.

In fact as I write this it seems more inevitable than unlikely.

machin

Only just saw this today on Pistonheads.com....

Looks a lot like a little study I did on a money-no-object "Ultimate Sprint/hillclimb car" back in April 2009... The UK Sprint/hillclimb regulations are very open... pretty much anything goes, although ground clearance is 40mm minimum (so no sliding skirts). There's basically no engine regs; so you can have anything you want (/afford!!!!)... I run a Westfield with a little 4 cylinder 8 valve push-rod engine and I'm always bemoaning the fact that the class struture means that the 16valve screamer engines are in the same class, so I sat down one day dreaming that if I won the lottery I would build the ultimate sprint/hillclmb car, and basically it was this:-

Single seater with covered front and rear wheels.
Full canopy
Full (huge) underbody tunnels
Extract fans in the diffusers
Moveable Front and Rear wings
Huge Tyres
Twin turbo-charged Powertec V8

The inspiration for the front "fenders" actually came from the caparo two-seater that came out a couple of years ago, -but amazing how similar it looks to this Red Bull....

I did these a while ago... before I had full rendering capabilities.. hence no colours or textures....

Sadly I haven't won the lottery yet!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Giblet
Giblet

I couldn't tell for sure from the pics, but was it Vettel's name on the cockpit?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

flynfrog

its not that far of pop sci from a few years ago

http://books.google.com/books?id=twAAAA ... ce&f=false

antsyd
antsyd

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/au/news/d14927.html

They should build a real one. Amazing.

tomislavp4

That thing is too cool! I'd love to see one built...

One thing bothers me though, the windshield angle, isn't it too low? The total reflection angle for glass is what, 40 degrees? That windshield looks like it's inclined more than 40 degrees... Ah, who cares anyway 8)

Belatti
Belatti

I tend to have the Richard Leeds point of view with this one. Any F1 engineer would make a model to predict power, torque, DF & drag figures to end up with a theoretical car in the GT5 engine, but RB & Newey is a PR boom for Sony/Polyphony.

I only imagine this as: "Adrian, take the pencil, draw some pictures, tell us the features you would add to the car and how many Gs it would do, then take a picture with us and voila!"

After that, Yamaguchi and his fellas program the thing and gives Vettel a try. Of course, with a car having 8 G´s ALL THROUGH any corners because there are no bumps (or at least there is the 10% of what there actually is at Suzuka) the laptime is 20 secs off. But of course the thing would have active suspension with inerters, ABS, yaw stability control and more.

For the ones that would like to see a monster like that came to reality and after solving the problems of who could actually drive it and where, there would still be a significant number of problems like: the need for special tyres, brakes, suspension elements and heat resistant materials for such loads.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

tomislavp4

And one more thing, if it is powered by a turbine which transmits power through a cvt why does it sound like your everyday f1 car? Further more why do you hear downshifts in the video?

lolzi
lolzi

tomislavp4 wrote:And one more thing, if it is powered by a turbine which transmits power through a cvt why does it sound like your everyday f1 car? Further more why do you hear downshifts in the video?
Yeah, it was very strange that they first say it's a CVT and when we see Vettel driving it, he's changing gear.

tomislavp4

Seems they changed engine too, now it's V6 :lol:

machin

It could be they've set the CVT to have distinct set points which are driver selectable -they CVT version of the MGF had this...

...or they could have just used any old soundtrack that sounded cool! :-D
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH