4-Wheel-Drive-651HP: Ferrari FF Shooting Brake

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: 4-Wheel-Drive-651HP: Ferrari FF Shooting Brake

donskar wrote:Does anyone SERIOUSLY think this car will not sell and make Ferrari LOTS of money?
Of course it will, the badge and the brand counts for a lot as a status symbol.

Giblet

The badge and status symbol are part of it, as owning a Ferrari gives you status socially. It might be vain, but it is the truth. People have vanity, and this is but one outlet for it.

The fact the cars are hand built by some of the most talented and passionate care folks on the planet counts for a lot. Ignoring their coachwork, ignoring that the sand molds for the engine are hand finished before casting, actually pretty much ignoring everything that makes a Ferrari a Ferrari, and sure, it's just a badge on some Hyundai right?

I'm not a hug fan of the looks, but I can't imagine anything but a smile from driving it. Any car guy worth his salt would want to drive every car on the planet at least once to make an informed decision.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Just_a_fan

Giblet wrote: The fact the cars are hand built by some of the most talented and passionate care folks on the planet counts for a lot. Ignoring their coachwork, ignoring that the sand molds for the engine are hand finished before casting, actually pretty much ignoring everything that makes a Ferrari a Ferrari, and sure, it's just a badge on some Hyundai right?
The same can be said for any small volume car maufacturer though. There is nothing special about Ferrari in that regard.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Giblet

That's simply not true, they have built up generations of IP, and their continued success means that that can explore more options, and build better/varied designs, and make new models more often. They also can absorb a failure of a car much better, and not have it affect the whole business seriously and turn them into one of the many Cizettas out there.

They also have one of the most recognized brands in the world, and Ferrari makes more than most others off of sales that have nothing to do with cars. Shirts, hats, laptops, phones, whatever. That money goes straight back into make more/better cars.

Small shops don't often have their own foundry, often don't make their own engines. They buy their own metals, not usually make exactly the ones they need in house. There is not another comparable company to Ferrari in the contemporary world that is even close I can think of. Aston Martin is the only other comparable company that still hand assembles the cars. Maybe AMG as they still hand build their engines. I have friends with AMG's. I have none with Ferraris. They brand has undeniable pull and value.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Just_a_fan

@Giblet,

Don't forget that it's only recently that Ferrari started to make consistently good cars. Prior to the 90s they were known as fragile with generally poor reliability - that suggests a lack of care either on the part of the designer or the factory floor.

Ferrari having their own foundry goes back to Enzo's position that he sold you an engine and the rest of the car came with it for free. The engine was all. Which probably helps explain their poor reliability "back in the day".

There is no denying the Ferrari brand - but using it to sell shirts, hats and key ring fobs is probably not what Enzo would have wanted...although as he was only interested in selling cars to go racing, he might have been very happy with the income from such tat.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Giblet

I just watched a special on the Ferrari factory the other day that was done by National Geographic, and I walked away quite impressed with the factory. The state of modern Ferrari is not what it could have been if Enzo somehow managed to run the company from his brain in a jar. The man was quite stubborn, and resistant to change which has been the death knell of more than one Italian manufacturer.

The Japanese car companies gave everyone a swift kick in the rear with quality, and what people demand.

I would hazard to say that precision of mass production was not terribly good by anyone prior to the mid 80's/90's, in direct comparison to what we have today. Of course there were gems, but overall stuff was crap.

But back on the FF: I can imagine a car with 615hp to the rear wheels that only uses the fronts when the rear loses traction to be very fun on a variety of surfaces, with 3 friends at the same time.

autogyro

It probably is fun to drive Giblet and Ferrari have a great factory.

Which is why I cannot understand when they build a car with a powertrain like a block of flats and a body shell like a BMW.

OnterW

It does remind me of the M Coupe. I love BMW and their M cars but I've never been a fan of the M Coupe and the shooting brake style. A lot of people call the M Coupe a 'clown shoe' because of the elongated hood and blunt rear.

ds.raikkonen

andrew wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:People can slag off Ferrari all they want, but secretly,whether they would admit it or not, every person on this forum would love to drive this thing. First thing they would do is cruise down the main boulevard wherever they live, trying to pick up women(successfully, if you're in this car).
You are quite wrong there! The only Ferrari's I would like to drive are the F40 and the Enzo.

Mind you, the badge doesn't could for a lot with some people...... :wink:
IMHO F40's probably the only really hard core track special car Ferrari ever built and it is simply superb. Its looks can kill a Zonda (sometimes). Another one that I would want to drive is the 250 GTO 8) , chances are one in a billion. :lol:
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

ds.raikkonen

What are the advantages of the FF's 'innovative' AWD system over the already proven Torsen AWD system? Better weight distribution?
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

bhall

It saves weight and space (and can be marketed as an all-Ferrari system). The system transmits no more than 20% of engine torque to the front wheels and is only engaged up to fourth gear. Those modest power requirements means it doesn't need its own differential or driveshaft. When in use, the front wheels are driven from a gearbox attached directly to the crankshaft at the front of the engine. Torque vectoring is handled by computer-controlled clutches.

All in all, it's just a traction aid that weighs less than 90 lbs and doesn't adversely affect passenger space.

However, I think that's little redemption for a car as ugly as the FF.

ds.raikkonen

bhallg2k wrote:When in use, the front wheels are driven from a gearbox attached directly to the crankshaft at the front of the engine. Torque vectoring is handled by computer-controlled clutches.

However, I think that's little redemption for a car as ugly as the FF.
For just a 20:80 split, they went through the trouble of fitting another 2 speed gearbox for the front wheels? Not to mention a Haldex clutch which slips and regulates the torque. I doubt if this new system will work for cars with more humble torque figures as they wont benefit anything by sending just 20% of the torque to the front wheels. It ll work only if the torque figures are as biblical as in the FF. Also, they are obsessed with snow covered roads as that's where this system will work well. Or perhaps gravel, where a car like this will never go. Why did nt they go for, say a 40:60 split? Would nt that have served their purpose better? Why 20:80?
It does nt look that bad though, however, the Jensen FF looked better :)

bhall

Like I said, it's just a little traction (and marketing) aid. Ferrari still wholeheartedly believes that the best outright performance comes from a RWD configuration.

ds.raikkonen

Ok. I ll read more about why Ferrari decided to make a shooting brake. They obviously did some serious market research. Also, the AWD configuration is also preferred these days what with too much torque available in these cars and the actual driving conditions available in the real world for GT cars.

elFranZ

ds.raikkonen wrote:Ok. I ll read more about why Ferrari decided to make a shooting brake. They obviously did some serious market research. Also, the AWD configuration is also preferred these days what with too much torque available in these cars and the actual driving conditions available in the real world for GT cars.
Recently I managed to get into an F458... and drive it on a real track!
That very day, there were many cars to chose, and the instructor immediately told me: "if you want to have fun today, the Lamborghini are for you"; asked why, he replied that being AWD, Lambo's are way easier to drive for first timer and occasional sport drivers like I was that day.
Obviously rejected the offering and went straight into the F458... best day in my life, but this is a different story :)