Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

It's a matter of perspective, if the camera on the car is following the chassis roll it makes it look like the suspension leans into the turn. Which is why I ask as the angle on the steering arms seems not to match the chassis roll. Again it's probably an illusion.

Then again excessive positive caster has the same jacking effect on the suspension.
Saishū kōnā

SectorOne

Just looking at the Red Bull clip and the Mercedes clips it´s obvious the Mercedes has a softer suspension.
But that´s only looking at the provided videos.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Mark4211

zac510 wrote:Those clips are cherry picked from either high speed turns, or when the driver took too much kerb and some are from 3+ seasons ago! Of course the suspension looks soft in those extreme scenarios.

That said, this one from Monaco was pretty awesome, considering the low speed:
https://streamable.com/zbm3
godlameroso wrote:https://vimeo.com/183872530
Either the Mercedes has a lot of body roll or the suspension is actually leaning into the turns.
Aren't these two points mutually exclusive? I mean when someone says "it has lots of body roll" the usually mean the chassis is leaning to the outside of the turn, so if the suspension is leaning the chassis inwards then it's probably rolling less?
Pardon me, I included the other years to show that they are common and Merc's philosophy all along, was to have lots of body roll.

godlameroso

Interesting, perhaps they have all those slotted surfaces to prevent separation because the chassis rolls so much. Maybe the aero is designed with the chassis roll in mind. In that it's more effective when the chassis is pitched left or right.
Saishū kōnā

SR71

godlameroso wrote:Interesting, perhaps they have all those slotted surfaces to prevent separation because the chassis rolls so much. Maybe the aero is designed with the chassis roll in mind. In that it's more effective when the chassis is pitched left or right.

That's quite interesting. If you designed your car to have high downforce under body roll conditions you could eliminate some drag on straights (hypothetical).

This would be VS. the philosophy of having a very flat car through turns to maximize downforce performance VIA stable floor conditions.

Slightly counterintuitive but very interesting.

Not saying that's happening but I can't imagine a team TD not investigating the value of the philosophy in simulation.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

So I guess all end plates will converge to this toro-roso design now. Good job James Key!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

F1Krof

PlatinumZealot wrote:So I guess all end plates will converge to this toro-roso design now. Good job James Key!
Mercedes' had the same serrated rear wing teeth since Silverstone. Copied from James Key of course. McLaren's the latest team to follow this design.
Wroom wroom

F1NAC

New FW for Malaysia. Main plane flaps are separated from endplate ala Toro Rosso rear wing cuts

Thunder

Nice Find. Interesting Update. What would be the benefits of such a Design?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

turbof1

Not the same function though as the RWEP louvres. It's to feed the vortex inside the "tunnel".

Interesting that they only choose to separate the first 2 elements. No doubt they are not in a position (yet) to detach the whole structure and provide enough rigidity with just small struds. Those first 2 elements are closest to the ground, and therefore interact the most with ground effect, and therefore take priority.

I have to say it's getting very impressive what they are doing with the front wing overall. Red Bull rivals Mercedes concerning aero in general, but Mercedes is definitely a step further concerning the front wing. Furthermore, this is a solution they can take to next year.

I'll try to write an article about it.
#AeroFrodo

diego.liv

turbof1 wrote:Not the same function though as the RWEP louvres. It's to feed the vortex inside the "tunnel".

Interesting that they only choose to separate the first 2 elements. No doubt they are not in a position (yet) to detach the whole structure and provide enough rigidity with just small struds. Those first 2 elements are closest to the ground, and therefore interact the most with ground effect, and therefore take priority.

I have to say it's getting very impressive what they are doing with the front wing overall. Red Bull rivals Mercedes concerning aero in general, but Mercedes is definitely a step further concerning the front wing. Furthermore, this is a solution they can take to next year.

I'll try to write an article about it.
I thought it was to help the front of the car whilst turning: the conjunction between main plane flaps and endplate seemed to me as a nevralgic place of high load and pfoximity to the ground. Is it possible for this solution to obtain the exact reverse of the Toro Rosso's rear project? TR want more downforce turning, correct? At the front, the airlow will hit less surface, especially a less 'nevralgic' one. Which, btw, i thought was one of the main reasons behind the front wing upgrade that has two more openings on the part of the endplate right in front of the tyres

wesley123

turbof1 wrote:Not the same function though as the RWEP louvres. It's to feed the vortex inside the "tunnel".
Maybe it's main benefit is under low ride heights as it would effectively allow flow to bleed into the tunnel
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LookBackTime