Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

It would be similar to a diagphram spring, in which the rate could reduce after a certain point or even go negative - which is exactly what that tech directive went out about as it could be used to hold the front down, so it'll be interesting if it is actually doing that.

roon
roon

PhillipM wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 02:41
It would be similar to a diagphram spring, in which the rate could reduce after a certain point or even go negative - which is exactly what that tech directive went out about as it could be used to hold the front down, so it'll be interesting if it is actually doing that.
The directive was specifically about diaphram springs and an oil-can effect? Is there a copy available online? One difference compared to what I'm speculating, is that roll angle affects the transition point, maybe adding a level of controllability beyond what could be expected from spring action alone. i.e. Within certain levels of roll, the transition into a lessened or digressive heave rate would not be possible. Only during little to no roll would the ARB blades be capable of binding and popping into a mode of opposition to the main heave spring.

If the other teams did/do rely on belleville springs to achieve something similar, did they need any additional control or was it all spring action?

F1NAC

Ferrari has bigger opening for cooling at rear

Morteza

F1NAC wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 03:31
Ferrari has bigger opening for cooling at rear
You meant this?

Via @Graftechweb
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

wrcsti
wrcsti

giantfan10 wrote:
25 Feb 2017, 04:07
wrcsti wrote:
RandiAndika wrote:
Sounds like they running blown off exhaust gas? is it legal now? :roll:
could just be some sort of antilag. with this years tires more torque coming out of corners can be put to the ground.
NOPE its this " The car is running at a certain speed, let's say 50 mph, the gearbox is in 4th gear, the clutch is engaged. Now you lift your foot off the accelerator. The fuel consumption drops to zero immerdiately. The engine does not need any fuel to keep on revving, because the moving car drives the engine. In this situation you will feel a considerable amount of deceleration. This is called "engine brake". "
try it with your own carand take note of the sound it makes..... : ) semi trucks are banned from doing that within city limits where i live because its even louder than the engine itself while on the gas
bit late to the party, but i dont think you understood what i said at all. Im not gonna sit here and explain what rolling antilag is so ill let this do it for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2I--4UnOdc&t=19s
AFAIK the throtle pedal in these cars is more of a torque request than actual throttle movement. Whats so crazy about having the engine cutting for more power? Someone else quoted me and said the same thing I just did as a way to prove this point false

Froggolo
Froggolo

I apologize if i missed it in the previous posts,
the mirror holders are now curved and and not angled as it was during the Barcelona tests
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

bhall II
bhall II

Sexy one-piece engine cover...

Froggolo
Froggolo

bhall II wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 20:12
Sexy one-piece engine cover...
yes, finally!
is something i was envy about RB manufacturing.
I don't know where this car will get, but i appreciate the new approach they are having.
Visually is also very noticeable the building precision of each part, what was often a Ferrari lack in the past years.
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

ScrewCaptain27

From Racecar Engineering:
ImageImageImage
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

PlatinumZealot

:shock:
What an unusual angle for the exhaust pipe!
And look how far forward the intake section is! What sort of layout is this?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

giantfan10
giantfan10

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 19:52
:shock:
What an unusual angle for the exhaust pipe!
And look how far forward the intake section is! What sort of layout is this?
A pretty good one it looks like 8) based on race results.

Vanja #66

Looks like the conventional radiator layout got swapped for a two-piece "broken" one?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

roon
roon

They used a similar radiator arrangement last year. As did Haas.

I agree the exhaust pipe seems more curved compared to last year.

ringo

Its obvious a lot of man hours went into this car...more than they normally do. The team just seems more efficient and smart.
The sidepod solution is really out of the box, someone was smoking some really strong weed working on this "cut and flip" philosophy. The philosophy behind it was to have the same sidepod inlet area, but flip half of it into another plane; copy and paste a body width rear wing in the middle of the car. Cheap drag reduction from flipping the inlet area out of the front plane, and cheap downforce for putting a goddamn rear wing in the middle of the car.
When i say cheap, i mean the solution avoids refining existing parts for small gains, since it is additional bodywork that generates its own downforce. Similar to a monkey seat. Less time and money to have more surface area than refining an existing area such as a floor or side pod for a smaller gain.

The mid body wing is ferrari's advantage, and also the sidepod inlet and radiator treatment.
For Sure!!