Red Bull RB8 Renault (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

I put here my wild guess.

Imagining that Newey is not mocking the pr of other teams about radical, wow-extracting design, I think that the amazing factor of the rb8 will be in the front suspension area.

I am daydreaming about full aerodynamic fairing for the lower wishbone and steering arm (compliant with the 3,5:1 rule). It would be something similar to what Wirth tried to do with his simtek, but relying on a much more advanced carbonfiber knowledge. In the past Ferrari has used a flexible one piece lower wishbone.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Intego

I think we see a blown diffusor again (also on other cars). Either blowing from the cooling outlets or from vanes that create vortexes or both and so on.
Maybe they design a rim that creates a sealing vortex.

(Maybe the drivers will have to eat beans and onions for high energy air. :mrgreen: )
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

MIKEY_!

They will only get exhaust to the diffuser if they can find a way to aim the exhausts down the slope of the sidepods. Otherwise they can try something with the beam wing but that won't be very effective.

raymondu999

They won't be able to choose the slope of the exhaust, no? I remember Sam Michael said something about the final 100mm of the exhaust being a spec-defined part with a specified diameter and angle
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Far as i know nothing has been finalized. We know mostly what to expect but the finer details are less clear for the moment. Would make excellent sense to have the last section standardized.

raymondu999

That's what I know of it. At least Sam Michael said as such in Nurburgring FP2.

I wonder what is happening with the RB8. Newey has said it will amaze everyone; and Helmut Marko has said not to expect them to not dominate.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Javert

With low noses, is there possibility for Newey to create a front pull-rod?
Would be an advantage?

raymondu999

I'd imagine that would be absolutely rubbish for the mechanics to work on; but when has that been a Newey priority? I might be alone in this but I don't think the 2012 regs will see a low enough nose for pull-rod. Not sure of the 2014 reg noses though - those might.

What exactly would be the benefit though?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Javert

raymondu999 wrote:I might be alone in this but I don't think the 2012 regs will see a low enough nose for pull-rod. Not sure of the 2014 reg noses though - those might.

What exactly would be the benefit though?
If you look -26 photos in -27 thread, it seems possible to find space for a front pull-rod. The benefit could be a lower CoG and better flow to and above sidepods.
Newey could do it 8) front pull-rod + U-pods could be awesome

raymondu999

Given a fixed nose; would a pull-rod itself lower the CofG? I mean sure the dampers will be put lower, but the suspension mounting on the uprights would be higher, would it not?

My point being, I think the nose will be designed first, then if a pull rod is possible then it will done so. But I don't think they'd do a nose specifically for pull-rod. I'm not entirely convinced on CofG for a front pull rod. In the rear it means you don't need the body work up high to house the rockers; but in the front?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Javert

http://www.f1zone.net/news/blown-exhaus ... ain/10158/
But when asked by O Estado de S.Paulo in Abu Dhabi if Red Bull will still dominate in 2012 even without a blown diffuser, Mark Webber answered: “Maybe we can still enjoy this concept.”

What? “There are rumours that it (exhaust blowing) will continue,” the Australian explained.

Indeed, it is the FIA’s latest clampdown that has reinvigorated the saga, according to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport.

Reportedly, with an unlikely ally in the form of McLaren, Red Bull is pushing back, arguing that the designs of their 2012 cars were too far advanced when the latest FIA clampdown was issued.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

So red bull are arguing that the FIA were to slow to react in clamping down on the ebd(July) and are only now complaining that it will affect their concept in November?
How long do they need? Until the rest of the grid has caught up on it no doubt!

It's the same for everyone. Just get on with it.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Tozza Mazza

Newey is saying that RB8 will be a clean sheet design, due to the rule changes being too big to adapt RB5/RB7 to.

NonNewtonic

But I doubted it as it is too late for Newey to start designing an absolutely new car as it will take at least 5 to 6 months to complete the fundamental concept of the car. It is a long term project and you can't expect him to finish it in just one winter break. What I think is the RB8 is a revolution of RB7 which may feature a even more tighter rear packaging and may feature the nose cone of the RB5

wesley123

NonNewtonic; I doubt that since the RB5 nose is too high to conform the rules.

Although I agree with a revolutionairy car, much like the Renault R26 and R27
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender