Red Bull RB8 Renault (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Tozza Mazza

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

NonNewtonic wrote:But I doubted it as it is too late for Newey to start designing an absolutely new car as it will take at least 5 to 6 months to complete the design of the fundamental part of the car. It is a long term project and you can't expect him to finish it in just one winter break. What I think is the RB8 is a revolution of RB7 which may feature a even more tighter rear packaging and may feature the nose cone of the RB5
Due to regulations, it is not the actual nose cone which is changing, as many seem to think, but rather, the front of the cockpit is being lowered.

I think RB8 will be an evolutionary design, yes, but its design could still be a clean sheet thing, which the knowledge from RB5-RB7 being used to improve it, and use it as a chance to iron out any (if there are any!) flaws with the design.

astracrazy
astracrazy

that's right. Here is a image from scarbs. 2012 is grayed out.

There is more change in cockpit height than nose height. Although as this image demonstrates. It will effectually force the lowering of the nose anyway (as i can't imagine we will see a nose like this image (in gray).

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

Sorry my bad but from the diagram it seems like teams could still have similar nose as they had last season the only difference is that the nose is not as high as it used to be

Tozza Mazza

Legal for 2012

Note, where it says 1800mm, it should say 925mm!

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

Tozza Mazza wrote:Image

Legal for 2012

Note, where it says 1800mm, it should say 925mm!
Isnt the whole point of a high, flat nose and monocoque to get as much air under it? you've lowered the dash bulkhead by 75mm, which then lowers the bottom of the monocoque by 75mm (if your working to minimum regulations on the dash bulkhead being 425mm thick), thats 75mm of less space for air to pass through under the monocoque, all for the sake of having a flat top on the monocoque. i'd rather have it at 625mm the the dash bulkhead and get more air under the front of the car, basically have a more aggressive sloping McLaren monocoque and nose.

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

i just did a quick rough 2minute drawing showing the basic shape i'd go for, this gives you 200mm under the monocoque down to the reference line of space for air to get through.

if the top of the bulkhead was at 550mm that only gives 125mm of space under the monocoque for air to get through and thats using the minimum 425mm thickness for the monocoque

Byronrhys

Anyone has the reading of the 2012 nose regs?

aleks_ader

Byronrhys wrote:Anyone has the reading of the 2012 nose regs?
There is no official 2012 regs, so we just have a scarbs prediction and drawings!

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/10/2 ... gulations/
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

raymondu999

2012 regs per se arent available yet, but theres a "changes for 2012" section in the 2011 regs IIRC
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

Ah rite so what scarbs has could be totally wrong?

raymondu999

Well Scarbs was the one who reminded me of such, so... :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Scrabs states:

"I have seen a draft copy of the exhaust positioning rules. These rules are still subject to change because of an ongoing Technical Working Group (TWG) discussion to refine the rules. Ross Brawn in particular has made comments about possible loopholes in these regs."

So clearly this is a moving target that will only get more restrictive as the loopholes are perceived. The teams seems to be comfortable with this if they are allowing the TWG to be so late finalizing the regs.

Brian

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

scarbs
scarbs

Byronrhys wrote:Anyone has the reading of the 2012 nose regs?
The 2012 nose regs are posted at the bottom of the 2011 Tech regs PDF on the FIA website. Only the new exhaust regs and the revised blown engine map have yet to be published.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Here's an interview with Christian & Adrian posted today regarding the progress of the RB8---> http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/murraywalker ... er_ye.html