Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Huntresa

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

aleksandergreat wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
aleksandergreat wrote:But anyway strange is that they keep the small "mokey seat wiglet"... Interesting to see how will they use the coling exit...
Why wouldnt they keep the small monkey seat? Its been there way before the DDRS.
Beacuse of DRD... look the engine cover and cooling exit...

here without DRD

http://www.formula1.com/wi/enlarge/1140 ... sin158.jpg
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/14/79/55/26/d12ita10.jpg

here with DRD
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... medium.jpg

and here today picture with coanda
http://motorsportgp.pl/images/motorspor ... 12-025.jpg precisely look the shape of cooling exit it seem to me it has huge break in the middle...
http://shrani.si/f/28/d4/KIyP4WY/grand- ... zwarte.jpg
In my opinion that corespondet to DRD duct assembly... Maybe i m wrong but i m prety sure....

bv. thx for pic guys...

Your still not making sense or you dont know what a monkey seat is, the monkey seat is the part in the middle of the beam wing and that has been there since even before Bahrain, so it has nothing to do with the DDRS so why would they remove it as you thought strange to keep it in your first post.

aleks_ader

Huntresa wrote: Your still not making sense or you dont know what a monkey seat is, the monkey seat is the part in the middle of the beam wing and that has been there since even before Bahrain, so it has nothing to do with the DDRS so why would they remove it as you thought strange to keep it in your first post.

I see there is small missunderstanding... (my bad)

on DRD offcourse monkey seat still exist but in different arc spaped "wing", but i reffering on shape of the monkey seat withoout DRD, that is still there on the car in Korea.... Maybe they will tomorow unscreew and add the real DRD monkeyseat.... That is alll about...

For tomorow i expect coanda exhaoust + DRD advace test programe.... Maybe they will play with on/off DRD etc.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

beelsebob

dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote:They look like the Red Bull solution. Not sure if it really is, but it has the same ramp.
Looks like the solution everyone but Red Bull is using.
o.O

You guys' eyes are weird – it looks like a straight off copy of the McLaren hump.

What's weird to me is either a trick of the light, or a very odd hot-air exit at the back – is that asymetrical!?

Edit: no, it's just sloping towards the front of the car.

IceOne

beelsebob wrote:
dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote:They look like the Red Bull solution. Not sure if it really is, but it has the same ramp.
Looks like the solution everyone but Red Bull is using.
o.O

You guys' eyes are weird – it looks like a straight off copy of the McLaren hump.

What's weird to me is either a trick of the light, or a very odd hot-air exit at the back – is that asymetrical!?

Edit: no, it's just sloping towards the front of the car.
it's new style engine cover + new diffuser + coanda ex. hope it will work for them :?

Chuckjr

I'd be nice to have a side view of it rather than just the view from behind the car. Is there a website with side view shots of their new exhaust solution?
Watching F1 since 1986.

turbof1

With the slightly different angle I agree it isn't a red bull-style exhaust. Dunno if it is like the mclaren one or rather an unique design. A side view is needed.
#AeroFrodo

madly

Still no side view photos? From posted earlier pictures it looks like less aggressive than typical MCL'like solution.

RB7ate9

It seems to be a soft-Mcl solution, sort of like what Williams tested, but have yet to use. More akin to Force India's or Mercedes. I don't know how much downwash they'll get from this.

Chuckjr

Is there an aerodynamic reason why the top of these exhaust openings are so square rather than rounded off and smoothly integrated into the flow above the exhaust exit? Why would that be a better solution than a more rounded opening (as viewed from the top looking down)?
Watching F1 since 1986.

beelsebob

Chuckjr wrote:Is there an aerodynamic reason why the top of these exhaust openings are so square rather than rounded off and smoothly integrated into the flow above the exhaust exit? Why would that be a better solution than a more rounded opening (as viewed from the top looking down)?
I would imagine that a more rounded edge would encourage the exhaust to flow along the surface, and hence spread out in a plume, rather than a squarer edge, will certainly cause little eddies there, but won't cause anywhere near as much spread. Given that they're aiming it at a small target, you don't want that spread...

Chuckjr

Thank you.

Ok so when looking at Neweys solution, what is he wanting that's different than the rest of the field? Is he not wanting to seal the diffuser like Lotus is now attempting?

Found a comparison shot from the RB8 forum.

Image[/quote]

When you look at Neweys design it's all rounded over leading to the pipe exit and around the sides with the humps. The Macca/Lotus/Ferrari versions all are a sharp edge. What's the Macca/Lotus/Ferrari solution wanting that Newey doesn't?
Watching F1 since 1986.

beelsebob

Oh, I see what you're getting at, sorry, I think I was looking at something different to you.

I have no idea why newey has gone this route and everyone else the other, I'd be interested too.
Last edited by Steven on 11 Oct 2012, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted post right above

RB7ate9

Chuckjr wrote:
When you look at Neweys design it's all rounded over leading to the pipe exit and around the sides with the humps. The Macca/Lotus/Ferrari versions all are a sharp edge. What's the Macca/Lotus/Ferrari solution wanting that Newey doesn't?
I believe Newey and the RB8 are trying to have their cake and eat it too in the sense that the rounded edges not only conform to radius regulations, but also it will keep the exhaust plume attached down the sides toward the edges of the diffuser. On the Ferrari and Mclaren solutions, they are using the downwash over the top of the sidepods as well as the lower-pressure areas underneath the exhaust ports to pull the exhaust down (the now ubitquitous "coanda exhaust") while maintaining flow to the rear bodywork. Red Bull may be trying to better guide the exhaust with the ramp and the rounded exit while getting the added benefit of the side flow around to the rear.

Ral
Ral

RB7ate9 wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:
I believe Newey and the RB8 are trying to have their cake and eat it too in the sense that the rounded edges not only conform to radius regulations, but also it will keep the exhaust plume attached down the sides toward the edges of the diffuser. On the Ferrari and Mclaren solutions, they are using the downwash over the top of the sidepods as well as the lower-pressure areas underneath the exhaust ports to pull the exhaust down (the now ubitquitous "coanda exhaust") while maintaining flow to the rear bodywork. Red Bull may be trying to better guide the exhaust with the ramp and the rounded exit while getting the added benefit of the side flow around to the rear.
Looks like Lotus are using a slit (?? not sure if it goes through the floor or is rather a ramp) to get a similar effect.

http://www.sutton-images.com/preview.as ... &count=716

http://www.sutton-images.com/preview.as ... &count=716

[edit] Interestingly, BBC's Andrew Benson says only Räikkönen's car will have the coanda exhausts. I guess they really did rush it out earlier than they'd planned which would explain the odd timing in the second weekend of a double-header.

Would also explain why rear end in some photos looks the same as in Suzuka, as obviously Grosjean's car would. They are definitely not running their drag reduction device though.