Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Carlo's
Carlo's

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Looks quite elegant. Hope that tomorrow they will refine it a bit to gain more laptime.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

I assume that is titanium. I have tried to polish titanium and it ain't easy - mine is dreadfully dull in comparison. Ended up with rotary polish mop & stainless steel polishing compound.

aleks_ader

Sevach wrote:Very small lump (if you can call it that) for the coanda, looks like they are trying to get some exhaust effect with minimal impact on the E20 normal airflow, let's see how much this brings them, given that the leading exhaust blowing teams completely commited to it, Red Bull with the ramp, Sauber going back to the ramp, Ferrari with the big duct and Mclaren extending theirs significantly.
Also (as with the Williams) hot air openings became significantly bigger.
Yes and can be with minimal efort ajusted on optimum slit gap (unbolted that little screew and bolted new plate ).. Briliant!
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

turbof1 wrote:
Huntresa wrote:Is that a bump in the metal?
Looks like it. Are they trying to utilise a coanda effect inside an existing coanda effect?
Maybe but in other pictures i canot see it ... Strange! Maybe is just optical ilusion (polishing patern)? Other opinions? Its to soon to make any conclusion...
Last edited by aleks_ader on 12 Oct 2012, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Arunas
Arunas

Huntresa wrote:Is that a bump in the metal?
IMO it must be due to interaction with exhaust manifold undeneeth this fairing, tight packaging.

wizzer
wizzer

tok-tokkie wrote:I assume that is titanium. I have tried to polish titanium and it ain't easy - mine is dreadfully dull in comparison. Ended up with rotary polish mop & stainless steel polishing compound.
Titanium doesn't like hight temperature so much. I suppose it's stainless steel.

kebab
kebab

tok-tokkie wrote:I assume that is titanium. I have tried to polish titanium and it ain't easy - mine is dreadfully dull in comparison. Ended up with rotary polish mop & stainless steel polishing compound.
It could be Inconel rather than titanium.

wizzer
wizzer

Inconel could be too heavy and too expensive for that purpose.

shelly
shelly

I agree with kebab -could be inconel
twitter: @armchair_aero

kebab
kebab

wizzer wrote:Inconel could be too heavy and too expensive for that purpose.
In fact inconel is lighter than stainless steel or even duplex and is used in light weight exhaust system.

Pandabeer
Pandabeer

Can anyone explain me the advantages of using a coanda-type exhaust compared to the Lotus exhaust they got beforehand?

Nando
Nando

Pandabeer wrote:Can anyone explain me the advantages of using a coanda-type exhaust compared to the Lotus exhaust they got beforehand?
I guess the main thing is you guide the exhaust gases down below the tire and diffuser edge as opposed to blowing the beam wing or what it is they are doing before.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

wizzer
wizzer

I just mean I think that Inconel isn't necessarily in that case because it's far less demanding than the exhaust piping itself. In my knowledge Inconel is slightly heavier than stainless steal but far more resitant under large heat, that allow the use of thiner pipes.

Forza

Lotus has confirmed that it will stick with the Coanda-effect exhausts on Kimi Raikkonen's car for the remainder of the Korean Grand Prix weekend. The team trialled its new design during Friday free practice at Yeongam and, after detailed analysis of the data overnight, the team is confident enough to stick with it.

Technical director James Allison believes that the benefits of the new concept will increase over the forthcoming races, as the team understands them better."We are at the beginning of a relatively long road with them," he said.
"It's not straightforward to make them work from the start, but the numbers we got are good so we are quite pleased."

Lotus only has enough parts to run on Raikkonen's car in Korea, but AUTOSPORT understands that the plan is for the team to be able to run it on both cars from the next race in India.
Source

rssh

Only Kimi is going to use the new Coanda exhaust system because Lotus says that they have only 1 spare and if something goes wrong on Kimi's exhaust they would have to take it off Romain's