Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mith

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

I believe the reason for the change was that sponsors complained their logos are poorly visible. I also don't like it...

yace

the cream color is used since the mid season of 2011, it's just to have a better contrast.
ImageImageImage

MIKEY_!

It's such a step down from gold. It doesn't really remind me of the old lotus colour scheme anymore.

Hail22

MIKEY_! wrote:It's such a step down from gold. It doesn't really remind me of the old lotus colour scheme anymore.
Thats what happens when a finance company, investment company buys into racing they forget the history, pride, trademark of the team and just want the marketability of the brand name only....
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

MIKEY_!

:cry: :cry: :evil:

N12ck

MIKEY_! wrote:It's such a step down from gold. It doesn't really remind me of the old lotus colour scheme anymore.
+1 I have been saying most of last season since the cream was brought in that it doesnt look very good
Budding F1 Engineer

Sir Frank

Did Densham retire in 2011?
Martin Tolliday - Chief Designer

raymondu999

Yup. Happened in April.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123

Hail22 wrote:
Thats what happens when a finance company, investment company buys into racing they forget the history, pride, trademark of the team and just want the marketability of the brand name only....
1. It wasnt Genii having this idea, it was Lotus their idea
2. You honestly think they'd ran the black and gold for 'history and pride' instead of just trying to sell more Lotus cars?
3. Genii has barely anything to do with the colors, it is all Lotus themselves with their 'pride and historical value'.

Seriously get over it, nothing historical was meant with it it was only done because people relate the black/gold more to Lotus than the green with yellow stripe, only marketing nothing more or less.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Richard

Crikey, is nothing allowed to evolve? The best brands evolve with time. Good design has to evolve, that's why it is called design, not antique collecting.

If they were respecting history then this car would be in Benetton colours.

Coefficient

richard_leeds wrote:Crikey, is nothing allowed to evolve? The best brands evolve with time. Good design has to evolve, that's why it is called design, not antique collecting.

If they were respecting history then this car would be in Benetton colours.

Or Toleman colours perhaps?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

cata

What puzzles me about this design is the thinner nose..I don't recall any of the other teams going for that...
If you're honest and you say that you did, you know that I would give you my hand...

Tozza Mazza

cata wrote:What puzzles me about this design is the thinner nose..I don't recall any of the other teams going for that...
It's only a little thinner, but it's very flat compared to most teams, the Red Bulls nose is really 'fat' in comparison.

I think the E20 is looking good for 2012.

stefan_

This is from an interview with James Allison for the Lotus website.
WITH SO MUCH DEVELOPMENT STILL ON GOING AT THIS EARLY STAGE OF THE SEASON, HOW DIFFERENT WILL THE E20 THAT SITS ON THE GRID IN MELBOURNE BE TO THE CAR WE’VE ALREADY SEEN AT JEREZ?

The car we take to Melbourne will be significantly different to the one we ran in Jerez. There’s a lot of work still to do before the season opener, and so many elements will change; the front wing, rear wing, side pods, pod vanes, engine cover, barge board, floor, some suspension elements, and some small brake duct features to name but a few! As always, it’s going to be a very busy few weeks.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

fussell

In relation to the cream paintwork

I have been told by a professional model maker (at a company that makes models for manufactures), the original Lotus didn't have gold paintwork, but something they called 'sign writers gold' which is a beige/cream colour. However I do think this is on the cream side, or maybe because the lines are a lot thicker?