Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MIKEY_!

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

willga wrote:
MIKEY_! wrote:It's such a step down from gold. It doesn't really remind me of the old lotus colour scheme anymore.
fussell wrote:In relation to the cream paintwork

I have been told by a professional model maker (at a company that makes models for manufactures), the original Lotus didn't have gold paintwork, but something they called 'sign writers gold' which is a beige/cream colour. However I do think this is on the cream side, or maybe because the lines are a lot thicker?
The 'gold' on the 70's cars was a cream colour - for better contrast.
I've Gunnar Nilsson's old sidepod hanging on my wall.
Point was that it looked gold on camera (like how old marlboro sponsored cars used a red that was nearly orange). Cameras are different now so red is now red and gold should be gold.

beelsebob

MIKEY_! wrote:Point was that it looked gold on camera (like how old marlboro sponsored cars used a red that was nearly orange). Cameras are different now so red is now red and gold should be gold.
Actually, cameras aren't different now – the McLaren's side pods, and the Ferrari are still actually luminous orange.

MIKEY_!

:o :oops:

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:Ferrari are still actually luminous orange.
Looked very red in Monaco/Singapore to me. The Macca sidepods though are somewhere between McLaren's rocket red (orange) shirts and the red on the standard Vodafone logo.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

madly

Please, could we move all livery posts into new topic 'Lotus livery'?
A year ago when R31 was released with new livery, almost all about it was covered by Lotus Renault big article. In short, livery has fatter lines to be visible in TV in far view. The same cream colour is much more visible than gold, especially in TV. EOT.

Donuts

madly wrote:Please, could we move all livery posts into new topic 'Lotus livery'?
A year ago when R31 was released with new livery, almost all about it was covered by Lotus Renault big article. In short, livery has fatter lines to be visible in TV in far view. The same cream colour is much more visible than gold, especially in TV. EOT.
+1

Is there nothing more interesting than the livery colours to talk about? Zzz... zzz... zzz... :wink:
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

Owen.C93

bill shoe wrote:Regarding the purpose of the odd side-facing diffuser exits--

Don't think interaction with the rear tires, instead think interaction with the (closer) "brake duct" cascade wings just inside the tires.

My guess is that the outer corners of the diffuser are a bit forward and sideways-facing so that the diffuser air exits more directly underneath/behind the "brake duct" winglets on the rear corners. By connecting the outer edges of the diffuser to the "brake duct" wing cascades you should be able to get some airflow synergy. The brake duct cascades help pull more air through the diffuser. Neat. There's something deliciously creative about the way the side-exit diffuser geometry accomplished this.

This overall system may also be an effective way of passively clawing back some of the blown-exhaust sealing at the diffuser edge that was done last year. Notice the Renault seems good in fast corners even though they do not resort to exhaust outlet trickery a la McLaren, Sauber, etc.
Yeah that's possible. I bet it's going to be one of those things that all teams end up copying like the vanes on the RW end plates of the perforated gurneys.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Blackout

Measurement device on the rear wing

First photo on the turning vanes seen from this angle... they look a bit strange to me

Crucial_Xtreme

Problems today for Lotus. They are flying out a new chassis to Barcelona ASAP.

ESPImperium

E20-01 is being sent to Barcelona ASAP. E20-02 will now undergo a massive amount of NTD. E-20-02 would, i presume, have been Grosjeans chassis for the start of they season going on past Lotus/Renault data.

Carlo's

Big blow, Lotus is packing up and heading home :shock: :
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97616

sesku

can a chassis get twisted at high speed corner?
Last edited by sesku on 21 Feb 2012, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.
This letter is computer-generated ; no signature is required.

bosanac1

wonder if modifying both chassis requires new crash test

bosanac1

sesku wrote:can a chassis get twisted at high speed corner?
well Romain said car steering felt strange

so the higher aero loads must be doing something

and it sounds like big issue otherwise they wouldn't pull out completely from test

ESPImperium

Carlo's wrote:Big blow, Lotus is packing up and heading home :shock: :
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97616
That is a big blow. This also means that they will have to re-crash test a chassis as well as its outside the homologation of the design they submitted.

This is as big a blow to the team as the one they had last year loosing Bobby K in my opinion.

Their E20-03 will also have to be modified as well, and also when it comes to E20-04 onward the solution should be in the build.

Im now looking at Lotus to have the E20 with 6 chassis by the end of they year now. Id recon they will run with 01 to 03 for the first 4 GP, then go toMugello with the first of the new homologation, then have brand new chassis for the rest of the year.

This is costly on a financial sence as well, as a Chassis to 2007/2008 costs cost arround €600,000, so id recon this is close to the €700,000 mark now, if not more. It also diverts resource away from dialing in performance into the car as well in a set up stand point at present and later a aero point of view as well.