Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Renault R32

richard_leeds wrote:ESP - wouldn't it be easier to name the team by the factory as a unique ID? Then the team names can come and go (along with irrelevant nation anthems) but we'll always know them as the folk from Enstone.
Sorry, what did i write and where???
Byronrhys wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Youll probably find its the R29 as the R30 dosnt have provision for the KERS batteries and monocoque dosnt have provision for the R27 engines MGU for the KERS.
Kimi's running an R30. January 23/24, ricardo tormo
Yup, like I said.. R30 it will be.
Sorry, i was proven wrong. They must have provision for MGU and KERS batteries somewhere in the R30.

Maggot

Maggot wrote:Image Image

Lotus pitstop practice in factory.. Any chance of that being a periscope exhaust next to "L" of lotus on left engine cover ??

Seems to me this might be kimis test car 2010 model ? Rear wing shape made me think.. I might be wrong.. Posting this half a sleep

K so coming back to my first post about this R30... will this then be indeed kimi's car and does that look like periscope mod ? its also marked no.9

raymondu999

James Allen wrote:Veteran technical journalist Giorgio Piola is writing that Lotus Renault GP has a system which brings back echoes of the “mass-damper”, one of the innovations when the team was known as Renault, that helped to win it the 2006/6 world championships.

According to Piola, the system is mechanical, operated by the driver (like the F Duct) and means that when the driver hits the brakes, it manages the ride height as the front of the car dives down, which in turn helps to keep the front wing’s performance more consistent.

The system enables the team to run a lower front ride height, as the thing which dictates how low the ride height can be on an F1 car is the limit of downward movement at the moment of peak braking.

Red Bull, Ferrari and others experimented in the last couple of years with ‘flexi-wings’, but this system will allow the front ride height to be low in a simple and efficient way.

It also has a great benefit in the races, as the cars start with 150kg of fuel, which drops to zero over the course of the race. Keeping the ride height optimised, as the car rises with a reduction on fuel load, gives a gain in lap time. We saw Ferrari lowering the ride height legally in pit stops as the fuel burns off, but this system would again have a benefit there. A tenth or two of a second per lap adds up over a 70 lap race.

The system is linked to a hydraulic cylinder inside the brake cowling. The suspension and uprights are connected to a tiny hydraulic cylinder in the upright, which can provide a few millimetres of lift at the crucial moment of the braking phase, activated by the driver.

One of the few technical rule changes for this year is the lowering of the nose of the car from a maximum of 62cm to 55cm, which when taken with the ban on off throttle blown diffusers puts an emphasis on front wing performance and means that braking stability will be affected.

As some 16% of the lap at many venues is spent braking, there are some useful gains to be made there if you can keep the car optimised when the nose dives under braking.

The system can be used in reverse under acceleration, to reduce the amount of lift in the nose and keep the front wing aerodynamics optimised.

The eagle eyed Piola, who started in F1 back in the late 1960s, spotted the cylinder in photos from the Abu Dhabi young driver test and has analysed it. Since that test the front wing regulations were finalised, but Lotus, led by technical director James Allison, was obviously ahead of the game. They are an innovative crowd, without the resources of a McLaren or a Red Bull, but with plenty of bright ideas. Last year they tried to innovate with the front blowing exhausts, which didn’t work.
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/01/h ... ave-gizmo/
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

What's described there is already banned:
3.15 ....

With the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.18, any car system, device or procedure which uses, or is suspected of using, driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited.

shelly
shelly

There are two issues to point out in the Piola line of thought:

1) the odd cylinder he has spotted at the front could well be part of the hydraulic inerter, or an evolution of that, and not be linked to brakes - so maybe he has mismatched

2) Nose diving under braking is a theme Piola is keen about lately, having devised it as the aim of the merc front f-duct also. Maybe this is an important performance area, with pitch sensitivity of the front wing being a major issue. Maybe Piola has had hints from some friend insider, or maybe it's him focussing on this particular aspect.
twitter: @armchair_aero

scarbs
scarbs

The system certainly exists, I heard about it early last year. Prototypes were brought to the first tests and races, but cracking due to the pressures and loads involved were an issue. Things went quite and I didnt hear about the system.

Meanwhile the linked system was proven to be on the car so I assumed the brake anti dive was off the agenda.

I'm not sure how the system works if the brake device alters the front axle spring rate or extends the pushrod. Ive spoken to engineers inside other teams Toyota had a third spring operated by the brake circuit, but did not find benefits.

Its near certain the system aims to manage front ride height under braking, to allow a lower static front wing ride height. The teams linked suspension also does this, as can antidive geometry or G-valves in the heave damper. So I'm not so sure about the brake operated system being a silver bullet for next year.

Ozan
Ozan

in some races, I saw Schumacher pulling something in the cockpit, left side. could this be related to the things mentioned here ?

beelsebob
beelsebob

Ozan wrote:in some races, I saw Schumacher pulling something in the cockpit, left side. could this be related to the things mentioned here ?
That's the break ballance lever, Schumacher is one of the most prolific break ballance adjusters out there.

Maggot

I thinks that is just Schumi adjusting his break Bias, that's his style, Rosberg picked up on it later.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

beelsebob wrote:
Ozan wrote:in some races, I saw Schumacher pulling something in the cockpit, left side. could this be related to the things mentioned here ?
That's the break ballance lever, Schumacher is one of the most prolific break ballance adjusters out there.
Jenson also did it alot in the BGP001 and the RA10x chassis as well, If you check any on board lap from Button from 2006 to 2009 he was using the B-Bal Adjust arround 2 to 5 times a lap depending on the track.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Curious why they wouldn't use geometric anti-dive to reduce loss of front ride height under the brakes.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

italian
italian

Read here: http://translate.google.it/translate?sl ... portamozzi
The picture is claryfing!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Giblet
Giblet

Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

raymondu999

Yup, thats the one I posted that lead to the discussion in the first place :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

The way James Allan describes the system it could well be banned under §3.15 as a device that changes the aero config of the car. It will be interesting to lisen to the argument.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)