Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

xpensive wrote:So that's what it was all about, clever, no wonder they wanted to spend time on it, such a shame if it was banned?
I don't think it's banned.

Ferraripilot

timbo wrote:
xpensive wrote:So that's what it was all about, clever, no wonder they wanted to spend time on it, such a shame if it was banned?

There has been no mentioned of the MB system being banned. Only Lotus/Ferrari had this judgment. I suspect the MB solution is a more integrated passive solution which will pass for being more of a 'suspension system only' which just happens to be adverse to dive by means of being interconnected to the rear. It's probably borderline and might just be banned, but if they already ran it a bit last season I suspect not then, and especially if it's just an expansion for what their rear suspension system was for W02. It's probably not anything like Lotus developed which was a suspenion system+.

aral
aral

Ferraripilot wrote:
timbo wrote:

There has been no mentioned of the MB system being banned. Only Lotus/Ferrari had this judgment. I suspect the MB solution is a more integrated passive solution which will pass for being more of a 'suspension system only' which just happens to be adverse to dive by means of being interconnected to the rear. It's probably borderline and might just be banned, but if they already ran it a bit last season I suspect not then, and especially if it's just an expansion for what their rear suspension system was for W02. It's probably not anything like Lotus developed which was a suspenion system+.
The FIA have ruled that any device that changes the length of the suspension, is in breach of the regs. Not the aero regs, but the suspension regs.
So if the Merc system is designed to lift or lower the suspension at any point, it is illegal.

FrukostScones

if the system contains Mercury in large quantities than it is good that it is banned (safety regs, envirement in general), and they should have been aware of the fact that safety reasons are (also) a good point to ban it.
I mean they are not called Mercury AMG.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dren

this was pointless by me, please delete
Last edited by dren on 24 Jan 2012, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Honda!

dren

gilgen wrote:
The FIA have ruled that any device that changes the length of the suspension, is in breach of the regs. Not the aero regs, but the suspension regs.
So if the Merc system is designed to lift or lower the suspension at any point, it is illegal.
I think the mercury is used in the dampers to increase the dampening, not as a fluid to change suspension component geometry.
Honda!

aral
aral

dren wrote:

I think the mercury is used in the dampers to increase the dampening, not as a fluid to change suspension component geometry.
I think that you will find that the use of mercury is also banned, due to its toxicity , and danger to rescuers.

ringo

dren wrote:Sounds like the Ferrari and possibly the Mclaren will have short floors...just like Mercedes tried with its last car, but they will retain a longer wheelbase for better packaging, CofG, etc. The sidepods are moved back with the crash structure up front doubling as wings. Pretty cool. Maybe Mercedes has found a way to retain the optimal short floor while stretching the wheelbase too?
Who came up with this short floor is optimal idea?

And what's the reasoning behind it?
For Sure!!

yace

hi guys, i made some changes on my drawing of last week. you can see the "dolphin shaped" nose, some changes on the sidepots and others littles details :)

(i'll try to make an animated gif tomorrow)
ImageImageImage

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

ringo wrote:
dren wrote:Sounds like the Ferrari and possibly the Mclaren will have short floors...just like Mercedes tried with its last car, but they will retain a longer wheelbase for better packaging, CofG, etc. The sidepods are moved back with the crash structure up front doubling as wings. Pretty cool. Maybe Mercedes has found a way to retain the optimal short floor while stretching the wheelbase too?

Mercedes last year. Read back on the Autosport Mag article. few pages back I think article

xpensive
xpensive

ringo wrote: ...

I believe that Mercedes' idea was that with the enforced lower diffuser, no DDD, it was not enough to accelerate the air under the car enough with the full-length floor, why they shortened it to maintain the speed. Area was reduced, but as static pressure is reduced with square of the air-speed, downforce would still be higher. This was probably supported by the windtunnel, but it was perhaps not necessary to reduce the wheelbase as well, as Ferrari seems to have found out?

On MGP/AMG's alleged mercury-hydraulics, is the use of mercury banned per definition or is it some truth to this story?
If the latter is the case, I find it an absolutely brilliant idea to let the fluid's sheer density lift the nose under braking!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

yace wrote:Image

hi guys, i made some changes on my drawing of last week. you can see the "dolphin shaped" nose, some changes on the sidepots and others littles details :)

(i'll try to make an animated gif tomorrow)
Good heavens thats ugly! Not an insult to you, I think you did a steller job! But the look of the thing! Someone beat it with an ugly stick.

BTW, what is the reasoning behind the extended front wing pylons?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

aleks_ader

NewtonMeter wrote:
yace wrote:
BTW, what is the reasoning behind the extended front wing pylons?
I dont see here any advantage, beacuse in case of turnig into corners will provide uneven flow! I think the max lenght of wing pylon has on Ferrari F150th... Just overall this pylons are use to direct much as possible undisturbed flow toward the splitter section etc.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

raymondu999

The Renault R29 and the STR5 had them IIRC
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123
wesley123

aleksandergreat wrote: I dont see here any advantage, beacuse in case of turnig into corners will provide uneven flow!

The difference is that small that it isn't even noticeble.
I think the max lenght of wing pylon has on Ferrari F150th...
Why do you think that?
Just overall this pylons are use to direct much as possible undisturbed flow toward the splitter section etc.
And to generate some downforce by itself.

These pillars won't be that long though, only as a quick fix to get some downforce when you can't design a good front wing. Like STR did in '10
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender