Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MercAMGF1Fans

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

marcush. wrote:I have to admit MGP is surprisingly shrewed and even has managed to unsettle Newey a bit..to me this is a major point as Newey seems to be all so clever with car ideas but when it comes to tactics and strategic moves he is certainly not in the top league -it´s his weak point really and maybe not a strong point of REDBull altogether.
to make Newey think twice about last year(!) and muse publically abot it is an achievement in its own right.Now we only want to see w03 fullfilling its promise.
=D> =D> =D> Ross played a brilliant master stroke right there, it's almost like a game of chess..

Gerhardsa

@MercAMGF1Fans
Mate...I see from your website that they had running on Barca already (yesterday I think). Can they actually do that? How is that possible. Isn't it so, that if you miss a testday, you miss it. You cannot "recover" it by doing running a session on your own :wtf:
If that was the case, surely RBR and Ferrari could have "cought up" the development/testing time they lost during the Jerez test week?
Please explain the rules regarding this, except if it was some sort of filming/promotional stuff again, but unless I missread your site, you said that it was their 1st proper testing with proper tires as well.

ovidiulucaci

Gerhardsa wrote:@MercAMGF1Fans
Mate...I see from your website that they had running on Barca already (yesterday I think). Can they actually do that? How is that possible. Isn't it so, that if you miss a testday, you miss it. You cannot "recover" it by doing running a session on your own :wtf:
If that was the case, surely RBR and Ferrari could have "cought up" the development/testing time they lost during the Jerez test week?
Please explain the rules regarding this, except if it was some sort of filming/promotional stuff again, but unless I missread your site, you said that it was their 1st proper testing with proper tires as well.
Read all the post's ...mate, and you will find out how is that possible!
What's the point of reading only the last post?

Gerhardsa

ovidiulucaci wrote:
That like saying i should read all the articles in a newspaper, if i want clarification on something found in only one article.
If you cant/dont want to answer the question properly, dont bother....mate.

MercAMGF1Fans

I know what you're saying I found it hard to understand too. But, as they've said on Twitter, there was a formal agreement with the other teams from Jerez, when Mercedes only ran the w02 for 3 out of the 4 days. It was down to the other teams agreeing with Ross and Co.. and they did, so Mercedes used that one day to themselves.

Gerhardsa

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:
I know what you're saying I found it hard to understand too. But, as they've said on Twitter, there was a formal agreement with the other teams from Jerez, when Mercedes only ran the w02 for 3 out of the 4 days. It was down to the other teams agreeing with Ross and Co.. and they did, so Mercedes used that one day to themselves.
Thanks man. Didnt know that. Seems very "generous" from the other teams to allow a top 4 team to do that sort of thing....

MercAMGF1Fans

our good friend at the track is saying they're "Filming" with Rosberg today..

aduka11

Websta wrote:You guys have over hyped the W03 to a ridiculous level! I can't see them suddenly winning championships and trumping RBR/MCL after heading the midfield last year. Calm down a bit. I would love to see it happen, but it seems very unlikely. Even with this blown FW, so what? So they can run a very slightly lower front ride height and have a few extra km/h on the straights - something they have had for a while anyway. What was the other secret weapon they are "hiding"?
What happened with Honda/Brawn?

Red Bull in 2008 was 7th in constructors...next year they finished 2nd.

It wouldn't be a secret weapon then if we all knew about it, would it?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Schulteiss wrote: that is not the floor. It is the fluid valve, or whatever, and its in the nose. But nevertheless, I hardly imagine this could be made to work.There too many outside random influences that you can't factor in.
Thanks for the clarification. Was having Sunday roast while watching the video! #-o

Having rewatched the video, it seems this could be the next big thing. BUT, it seems that if other teams could develop a RRH with its main purpose being height adjustment, and therefore the FIA banned it, then I see this being on similar ground.

Those 3 channels need to be pretty much perfect for the air(and its accompanying pressure) to work correctly through a corner. Then there is the problem of reattachment, no? Mercedes suffered with their DRS system with re attachment, and there is no guarantee that when blowing the wing this way that the air will always re attach in all conditions.
And its this sticking point Mercedes will face if another team devises a method similar for FIA inspection.
A "dangerous" system could be presented to the FIA who could ban it on the grounds of safety. And it would be shame because this system appears to be a work of genius.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Websta

aduka11 wrote:
Websta wrote:You guys have over hyped the W03 to a ridiculous level! I can't see them suddenly winning championships and trumping RBR/MCL after heading the midfield last year. Calm down a bit. I would love to see it happen, but it seems very unlikely. Even with this blown FW, so what? So they can run a very slightly lower front ride height and have a few extra km/h on the straights - something they have had for a while anyway. What was the other secret weapon they are "hiding"?
What happened with Honda/Brawn?

Red Bull in 2008 was 7th in constructors...next year they finished 2nd.[/qoute]
Red Bull sure took their time to design a consistent title challenger and if not for the rule changes in 09 turning F1 on it's head, I don't think it would have happened so abruptly. But back in 2008 I was expecting to see some remarkable pace from previously midfield teams as big rule changes allows for big innovation. In the case of Honda/BrawnGP, I don't see there being a big double-diffusor-esque innovation this year that can jump a team up the order. I certainly don't think that a front wing which blows itself is going to be a race winning device.
It wouldn't be a secret weapon then if we all knew about it, would it?
That hasn't stopped people speculating about RBR's letterbox F-duct. That's all we need by the way - two cars blowing themselves.

MercAMGF1Fans

Last edited by Richard on 20 Feb 2012, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed off topic comments

Raptor22

DAMNINice wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:
issues4 wrote:we know that the flex testing has been made more stringent this year...and looking at this pic, that FW is borderline making sparks on the track surface :lol: yes it could be roll too, but this doesnt seem to look like anything we saw last year...with the exception of Ferrari's extreme flex BS they did just to get the FIA to change the rule..everybody knows they were bending their front wing into the asphalt for political reasons :twisted: ...and they succeeded in the end

I think, with further examination of the photo, you will fin that the car is running with its inside wheels on the kerb hence the illusion of extreme roll o as some insisit on calling it, "Wing flexing"... #-o

Okay... thats one way you could think about this thing... but could you tell me where the kerb is in this picture which leads to this illusion of bad roll because of the FW position??

To tell you... nowhere!!
So either this car rolls alot or there is something with this FW going on we don`t know / understand at the moment!

Promotion tyres. their sidewall construction is less rigid then the race tyres so they deform to a larger extent.

i wish people would think about this front wing flexing a little more before posting

ESPImperium

Anyone have a handle on how many laps each driver drove, they say 300km, so 33 is posible for either driver.

On the thought of tires, sinde they missed a day pre season, they have a private day, whitch means they can use 2012 race rubber and not Pirelli Promotional rubber.

ovidiulucaci

Gerhardsa wrote:
ovidiulucaci wrote:
That like saying i should read all the articles in a newspaper, if i want clarification on something found in only one article.

If you cant/dont want to answer the question properly, dont bother....mate.
No! it's not like that!
If you have read the last 2,3 pages of the topic you will find out. If you are really interested about this topic you will read all the post's of the topic!
Like in the newspaper, if you really want to know about something, you read all of it, and then ask questions about it.
That's my opinion and i am writhing this instead of answer your question because it's very frustrating to see anybody ask the same question again and again and don't even bother to read the post of the same topic. What's the point of that?
Why you ask something when the answer of the question is there, it will take you about 5 minutes to read the last 3 pages of the topic
I hope you understand what i mean and i hope that will not be any hard feelings.

aral

Haug has just stated that the W03, has NO innovations. This will disappoint a lot of the posters on this thread. :P :P :P :P