Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:29 am

Haug has just stated that the W03, has NO innovations. This will disappoint a lot of the posters on this thread. :P :P :P :P
gilgen
 
Joined: 3 Apr 2010

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:37 am

gilgen wrote:Haug has just stated that the W03, has NO innovations. This will disappoint a lot of the posters on this thread. :P :P :P :P


Source ? Referral ?
Please don't be so vague
blokkie
 
Joined: 29 Nov 2011
Location: Belgium

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:38 am

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97584

reading between the lines it's more likely they'll have a number of clever "little" things rather than one big fat massive surprise.. don't forget the upgrade package ahead of Melbourne
MercAMGF1Fans
 
Joined: 15 Dec 2011
Location: Abu Dhabi

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:39 am

He doesn't say that at all, he's only stating what we believe to the the case already - that there is nothing visibly ('eye-catching') radical on the car.
Last edited by Schurcedes on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schurcedes
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2012

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:40 am

so it's pretty much "under the skin" (Mercury suspension)
MercAMGF1Fans
 
Joined: 15 Dec 2011
Location: Abu Dhabi

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:44 am

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:so it's pretty much "under the skin" (Mercury suspension)


What is mercury suspension? A form of reactive ride height?
Websta
 
Joined: 5 Feb 2012

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:47 am

MSC fan here since 1994. i hope haug's statements are part of the plan which made them launch the car late, and hold private testing yesterday :roll:
silvertouringz
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2012

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:47 am

Websta wrote:
MercAMGF1Fans wrote:so it's pretty much "under the skin" (Mercury suspension)


What is mercury suspension? A form of reactive ride height?


there's about 100 pages on that on this thread.. :lol: :lol:
MercAMGF1Fans
 
Joined: 15 Dec 2011
Location: Abu Dhabi

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:50 am

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:
Websta wrote:
MercAMGF1Fans wrote:so it's pretty much "under the skin" (Mercury suspension)


What is mercury suspension? A form of reactive ride height?


there's about 100 pages on that on this thread.. :lol: :lol:

100 pages of pure unadulterated speculation :lol:
kris
 
Joined: 9 Mar 2011

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:59 am

His words :
..."I don't think that your eye will be caught by any big surprises when you see the car during the unveiling," Haug told AUTOSPORT. "But I certainly hope that we have some clever solutions and we have some good ideas incorporated on the car."...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97584
Gorf
 
Joined: 19 Feb 2010

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:08 pm

surely if you have some good ideas on the car you dont go shouting about it anyway?
if the cars fast you want people guessing why or you want to lead them down the wrong path
snoop1050
 
Joined: 20 Feb 2012

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Haug's statement makes perfect sense to me.

When one considers certain races last year (Canada, China, Spa, Monza) that favoured the merc, they all were (to my knowledge) front tyre limited (or at least cold enough not to bother the rears). And in those races, the Merc could to some extent compete and the car was pretty good. This year I think they aim to consolidate and advance on that position, hence the W03 apparently follows the same design philosophy as the W02.

What I'm getting at, was the philosophy of the W02 wasn't really flawed, but certain aspects of the car were - cooling, weight distribution and rear suspension (to some extent).

If I'm understanding Haug right, with the W03 they advance on the philosophy of the W02 and eliminate the serious design issues (while hopefully not creating any more). This, I believe (and I think they hope) will probably not give them a WCC car, but one that will be a pain in the backside for the big 3 and now and again score a win on merit.

It seems a mature approach and I like it. Not trying to take too big a bite at a time, but to do the incremental steps really well.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...
NewtonMeter
 
Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Location: Pretoria, South Africa

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:23 pm

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97584

reading between the lines it's more likely they'll have a number of clever "little" things rather than one big fat massive surprise.. don't forget the upgrade package ahead of Melbourne


Wow! Even a simple statement from Haug, has started the rumour mill!
gilgen
 
Joined: 3 Apr 2010

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:31 pm

gilgen wrote:
MercAMGF1Fans wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97584

reading between the lines it's more likely they'll have a number of clever "little" things rather than one big fat massive surprise.. don't forget the upgrade package ahead of Melbourne


Wow! Even a simple statement from Haug, has started the rumour mill!

or.. what it could mean is If they've built a car with no suprises that is as quick as the RB that seems to have no obvious 'suprises' i'm happy.

see what I've done there? :D
MercAMGF1Fans
 
Joined: 15 Dec 2011
Location: Abu Dhabi

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:31 pm

"But I certainly hope that we have some clever solutions and we have some good ideas incorporated on the car."
Hi's certain or he hopes? :shock:
madly
 
Joined: 11 Feb 2010

PreviousNext

Return to F1 Car Hardware & Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot], diffuser, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Nurmeister, Proximic [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 32 guests