Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pocketmoon

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Moanlower wrote:
pocketmoon wrote:
AbulafiaF1 wrote:Those black gills by the exhaust outlets look definitely like cooling outlets, but unlike anything we've ever seen before...

OOOh!

Could it be that these cooling outlet slids are there to push the exhaust gasses even more upwards towards the rear wing ?

In other pics of the car in motion these areas are covered (black) so perhaps we are seeing internal detail of channels within the sidepods.

aral

hardingfv32 wrote:
gray41 wrote:Could just be positioned there for reliability during filming?
So they built a exhaust system that cost as much a most compact street cars, repackaged the items
around the system, and fabbed new body work to improve reliability during testing?

Assuming that they have a reasonably competent CFD program and wind tunnel, I would say the exhaust location is a clear statement that the exhaust flow has very little benefit. Pretty much in line with the goal of the new exhaust rules which were developed by the teams.

Brian
I think that gray41 was responding to my query about the odd appendages on the front wing, not the exhausts.

But I disagree with your comment about the exhaust. All teams feel that exhaust flow is very relevant. Red Bull are even said to have developed a trick that enables them to have a car that is as stable as the RB7 with the EBD.

Rikhart

Looks like some kind of tape to me. Especially clear on the contrast enhanced pics, you can see it is not a vent or hole. Temperature measuring tape?

Hail22

Mestrades wrote:I really think that sidepods are like ferrari's one.

Agreed.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

pocketmoon

Hail22 wrote:

Agreed.

I think Ferrari's are like W02. And then only the front half :)

Ganxxta

pocketmoon wrote:
Hail22 wrote:

Agreed.

I think Ferrari's are like W02. And then only the front half :)
+1
They look way bigger to than the w03...
compared to w02:
Last edited by Ganxxta on 20 Feb 2012, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

bhall

If the bodywork housing the exhausts were removed, they'd look about the same. And they probably do look the same where the bodywork meets the floor.

Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:If the bodywork housing the exhausts were removed, they'd look about the same. And they probably do look the same where the bodywork meets the floor.
I agree from above the inlets look quite similar. I swear I saw an overhead of the W02 and they were shaped the same from above. I agree if you removed the exhaust fairing they'd look quite similar.

I wonder if we will see a different exhaust position tomorrow?

hardingfv32

gilgen wrote:But I disagree with your comment about the exhaust. All teams feel that exhaust flow is very relevant. Red Bull are even said to have developed a trick that enables them to have a car that is as stable as the RB7 with the EBD.
Of coarse any statement form teams or anyone for that matter is meaningless without some demonstration of fact to prove the logic of their statement.

In the case of Mercedes we have them placing the exhaust much farther forward than most the major teams. I would claim that the value of the exhaust flow decreases rapidly the farther you get from the exhaust outlet. So why move away from the items you are trying to influence, wings, etc.?

Brian

FuzZeE

What is Mercury system? This system used to W03?

hardingfv32

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I wonder if we will see a different exhaust position tomorrow?
'So they built a exhaust system that cost as much a most compact street cars, repackaged the items
around the system, and fabbed new body work' for this one shake down test? Does that not defeat the purpose of the shake down?

Brian

bhall

In other words, Brian disagrees.
FuzZeE wrote:What is Mercury system? This system used to W03?
You don't want to know. I promise.
Last edited by bhall on 20 Feb 2012, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

Gridlock

...and hasn't discovered 'the scientific method'...

ell66

Im impressed with the car, nicely packaged although not quite on the level of mclaren or red bull, wheel base is MUCH longer and a completely new concept for the front wing, hopefully they can get closer to the top 3.

hardingfv32

FuzZeE wrote:What is Mercury system? This system used to W03?
Go back to the about page 85-90 I believe of this thread. It was well covered.

Brian