Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gridwalker

Re: Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

I hope we do ... I fear that I may be alone in liking the walrus design (as poorly as it performed) and I hope someone can make a similar concept work.

It will be interesting to see how many different nosecone variations are spawned out of the current regulations.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

italian

scarbs wrote: have some sort of 'surface cooling' idea up their sleeves.
Good analysis as always Mr. Scarborough.
Surface cooling: could it be made with a special material that carries out the heat from the bottom of the floor?
I'm not crazy, just a crazy hypothesis. :D
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Ferraripilot

italian wrote:
scarbs wrote: have some sort of 'surface cooling' idea up their sleeves.
Good analysis as always Mr. Scarborough.
Surface cooling: could it be made with a special material that carries out the heat from the bottom of the floor?
I'm not crazy, just a crazy hypothesis. :D

Or better yet, can they somehow integrate the floor and their cooling solution. Perhaps something like a heat sink? There would be no holes in the floor but the length of the floor under the sidepods could potentially be cooling material? Hmm

Crucial_Xtreme

The new Ferrari winglets with new cooling system.

Edit: as Scarbs pointed out the smaller side pods means smaller radiators, this jives completely with the two on Twitter who have been talking about new innovative cooling & sidepods on the new car. It's there, feel free to check. They are indeed a good source of information, now twitter babble.

raceman

ahem!

What might be the name of the new Ferrari 2012 car? Any guesses?? :?: :?:

FrukostScones

raceman wrote:ahem!

F-650 Flex
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dren

FrukostScones wrote:
raceman wrote:ahem!

F-650 Flex
Ferd F-teenthousand... youtube it :)
Honda!

King Six

MIKEY_! wrote:Sorry, this sketch is more recent and accurate.
I think all the teams bar McLaren ran a bulkhead last year which maximised the allowable height (625mm), but I don't understand why. Why keep the bulkhead/front of the monocoque as high as possible?

Someone posted this picture on Autosport:

From the picture you can see McLaren were infact the only team who's bulkhead was lower than the maximum allowed. So if all the teams continue on their front-end philosophies then I guess we will see these ugly style noses for the most part...I just can't help but wonder if the bump/having the maximum 625mm height is so necessary. :cry:

Edit: Oh I know, it's because of the 275mm mandatory height of the bulkhead itself, right. So if it's not 625mm, that 275mm still has to be there, which means a lower bulkhead and less space for air underneath. :|

Edit 2: But I really do like the idea of Ferrari trying out some crazy BT46 style skin/panel cooling in addition to conventional but smaller/tighter sidepods and radiators. :shock:

Surely if they could at least try it for testing in the 1970's, it would be much more successful in the 2010's
Last edited by King Six on 24 Jan 2012, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

Scootin159

The reason for putting the bulkhead as high as possible has to do with the number underneeth it - 275mm minimum bulkhead height. The higher you get the top of the bulkhead, the higher you can get the bottom of the bulkhead, and the more air you can get under the nose... and therefor onto the splitter and into the diffuser.

scuderiafan

I hope the name of the new chassis is F2012, or something incredibly Italian, like Tipo F12 :lol:
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

King Six

Scootin159 wrote:The reason for putting the bulkhead as high as possible has to do with the number underneeth it - 275mm minimum bulkhead height. The higher you get the top of the bulkhead, the higher you can get the bottom of the bulkhead, and the more air you can get under the nose... and therefor onto the splitter and into the diffuser.
Yeah, I figured it out soon after I posted asking why, I guess the drivers legs also can't be too cramped :)

Still, McLaren didn't seem to be too bothered by having their bulkhead slightly lower

King Six

scuderiafan wrote:I hope the name of the new chassis is F2012, or something incredibly Italian, like Tipo F12 :lol:
They should just go for F2012. History dictates in these modern times, when they go for stupid names, the car is stupid as.

dren

King Six wrote:
Scootin159 wrote:The reason for putting the bulkhead as high as possible has to do with the number underneeth it - 275mm minimum bulkhead height. The higher you get the top of the bulkhead, the higher you can get the bottom of the bulkhead, and the more air you can get under the nose... and therefor onto the splitter and into the diffuser.
Yeah, I figured it out soon after I posted asking why, I guess the drivers legs also can't be too cramped :)

Still, McLaren didn't seem to be too bothered by having their bulkhead slightly lower
The Mclaren nose actually looks pretty thin when you remove the snow plow underneath it. I guess the nose doesn't need to be as high with the snow plow front.
Honda!

raymondu999

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The new Ferrari winglets with new cooling system.

Edit: as Scarbs pointed out the smaller side pods means smaller radiators, this jives completely with the two on Twitter who have been talking about new innovative cooling & sidepods on the new car. It's there, feel free to check. They are indeed a good source of information, now twitter babble.
I don't get the reference to the McLaren winglet that they have there. The McLaren winglet is pretty thin - I don't think they could really have fitted the crash tubes in there.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Owen.C93

raymondu999 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The new Ferrari winglets with new cooling system.

I don't get the reference to the McLaren winglet that they have there. The McLaren winglet is pretty thin - I don't think they could really have fitted the crash tubes in there.
They weren't even there for some of pre-season testing.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)