Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:05 pm

I hope we do ... I fear that I may be alone in liking the walrus design (as poorly as it performed) and I hope someone can make a similar concept work.

It will be interesting to see how many different nosecone variations are spawned out of the current regulations.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."
gridwalker
 
Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Location: Sheffield, UK

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:19 pm

scarbs wrote: have some sort of 'surface cooling' idea up their sleeves.

Good analysis as always Mr. Scarborough.
Surface cooling: could it be made with a special material that carries out the heat from the bottom of the floor?
I'm not crazy, just a crazy hypothesis. :D
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein
Image
Image
italian
 
Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Location: Italy

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:20 pm

italian wrote:
scarbs wrote: have some sort of 'surface cooling' idea up their sleeves.

Good analysis as always Mr. Scarborough.
Surface cooling: could it be made with a special material that carries out the heat from the bottom of the floor?
I'm not crazy, just a crazy hypothesis. :D


Or better yet, can they somehow integrate the floor and their cooling solution. Perhaps something like a heat sink? There would be no holes in the floor but the length of the floor under the sidepods could potentially be cooling material? Hmm
Ferraripilot
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:48 pm

The new Ferrari winglets with new cooling system.

Image


Edit: as Scarbs pointed out the smaller side pods means smaller radiators, this jives completely with the two on Twitter who have been talking about new innovative cooling & sidepods on the new car. It's there, feel free to check. They are indeed a good source of information, now twitter babble.
Crucial_Xtreme
 
Joined: 15 Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:24 pm

ahem!

What might be the name of the new Ferrari 2012 car? Any guesses?? :?: :?:
raceman
 
Joined: 25 Jul 2009
Location: Pune, India

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:32 pm

raceman wrote:ahem!

What might be the name of the new Ferrari 2012 car? Any guesses?? :?: :?:


F-650 Flex
"Double points is Tyranny!"
FrukostScones
 
Joined: 25 May 2010
Location: Bonnie's Ranch

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:34 pm

FrukostScones wrote:
raceman wrote:ahem!

What might be the name of the new Ferrari 2012 car? Any guesses?? :?: :?:


F-650 Flex


Ferd F-teenthousand... youtube it :)
Honda!
dren
 
Joined: 3 Mar 2010

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:07 pm

MIKEY_! wrote:Sorry, this sketch is more recent and accurate.
Image

I think all the teams bar McLaren ran a bulkhead last year which maximised the allowable height (625mm), but I don't understand why. Why keep the bulkhead/front of the monocoque as high as possible?

Someone posted this picture on Autosport:

Image

From the picture you can see McLaren were infact the only team who's bulkhead was lower than the maximum allowed. So if all the teams continue on their front-end philosophies then I guess we will see these ugly style noses for the most part...I just can't help but wonder if the bump/having the maximum 625mm height is so necessary. :cry:

Edit: Oh I know, it's because of the 275mm mandatory height of the bulkhead itself, right. So if it's not 625mm, that 275mm still has to be there, which means a lower bulkhead and less space for air underneath. :|

Edit 2: But I really do like the idea of Ferrari trying out some crazy BT46 style skin/panel cooling in addition to conventional but smaller/tighter sidepods and radiators. :shock:

Surely if they could at least try it for testing in the 1970's, it would be much more successful in the 2010's
Last edited by King Six on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Six
 
Joined: 27 May 2008
Location: London, England

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:17 pm

The reason for putting the bulkhead as high as possible has to do with the number underneeth it - 275mm minimum bulkhead height. The higher you get the top of the bulkhead, the higher you can get the bottom of the bulkhead, and the more air you can get under the nose... and therefor onto the splitter and into the diffuser.
Scootin159
 
Joined: 6 Aug 2009

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:18 pm

I hope the name of the new chassis is F2012, or something incredibly Italian, like Tipo F12 :lol:
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...
scuderiafan
 
Joined: 6 Nov 2010
Location: United States

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Scootin159 wrote:The reason for putting the bulkhead as high as possible has to do with the number underneeth it - 275mm minimum bulkhead height. The higher you get the top of the bulkhead, the higher you can get the bottom of the bulkhead, and the more air you can get under the nose... and therefor onto the splitter and into the diffuser.

Yeah, I figured it out soon after I posted asking why, I guess the drivers legs also can't be too cramped :)

Still, McLaren didn't seem to be too bothered by having their bulkhead slightly lower
King Six
 
Joined: 27 May 2008
Location: London, England

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:22 pm

scuderiafan wrote:I hope the name of the new chassis is F2012, or something incredibly Italian, like Tipo F12 :lol:

They should just go for F2012. History dictates in these modern times, when they go for stupid names, the car is stupid as.
King Six
 
Joined: 27 May 2008
Location: London, England

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:38 pm

King Six wrote:
Scootin159 wrote:The reason for putting the bulkhead as high as possible has to do with the number underneeth it - 275mm minimum bulkhead height. The higher you get the top of the bulkhead, the higher you can get the bottom of the bulkhead, and the more air you can get under the nose... and therefor onto the splitter and into the diffuser.

Yeah, I figured it out soon after I posted asking why, I guess the drivers legs also can't be too cramped :)

Still, McLaren didn't seem to be too bothered by having their bulkhead slightly lower


The Mclaren nose actually looks pretty thin when you remove the snow plow underneath it. I guess the nose doesn't need to be as high with the snow plow front.
Honda!
dren
 
Joined: 3 Mar 2010

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:00 am

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The new Ferrari winglets with new cooling system.

Image


Edit: as Scarbs pointed out the smaller side pods means smaller radiators, this jives completely with the two on Twitter who have been talking about new innovative cooling & sidepods on the new car. It's there, feel free to check. They are indeed a good source of information, now twitter babble.

I don't get the reference to the McLaren winglet that they have there. The McLaren winglet is pretty thin - I don't think they could really have fitted the crash tubes in there.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999
 
Joined: 4 Feb 2010

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:15 am

raymondu999 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The new Ferrari winglets with new cooling system.

Image


Edit: as Scarbs pointed out the smaller side pods means smaller radiators, this jives completely with the two on Twitter who have been talking about new innovative cooling & sidepods on the new car. It's there, feel free to check. They are indeed a good source of information, now twitter babble.

I don't get the reference to the McLaren winglet that they have there. The McLaren winglet is pretty thin - I don't think they could really have fitted the crash tubes in there.

They weren't even there for some of pre-season testing.
Owen.C93
 
Joined: 24 Jul 2010

PreviousNext

Return to F1 Car Hardware & Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot], Lycoming and 27 guests