Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Tim.Wright

Re: Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

Side impact zones are for pussies...

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

mith

Wow, if that size of sidepods would be achievable, it'd be like watching sf movie!

strad

The drivers are more reclined in the new Ferrari
I can't help but wonder if this will adversely affect the drivers.
WAYYyyyyyyyyyyy back in the 60s they started reclining the drivers and the scientific types found that when you recline the driver too far his sense of speed and balance into the corners was adversely affected and that is why they returned them while still somewhat reclined, to a more upright position . :?: :?:
The more you lay them down, the harder it is to keep that head upright.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

donskar

"Ugly" car + wins = beautiful
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

bonjon1979

strad wrote:
WAYYyyyyyyyyyyy back in the 60s they started reclining the drivers and the scientific types found that when you recline the driver too far his sense of speed and balance into the corners was adversely affected and that is why they returned them while still somewhat reclined, to a more upright position . :?: :?:
Interesting point. Never heard that before.

Ferraripilot

strad wrote:

Yes, it has something to do with the human body natural inertia points and how they are only accurate to a certain degree backwards on the spine. I've heard this before. This is also why fighter jets have always remained seated in very upright positions.

aral

Tim.Wright wrote:

Tim
I wouldn't pay any attention to these comparisons. It is someone's idea but bears little resemblance to what we know. It is just a modified version of the original. the sidepods are far to far back to comply.

Crucial_Xtreme

Tim.Wright wrote:Image

Tim
This picture was posted on the AutoSport forums by Kosmos, not Enrique(TruZoneF1). I believe the aim of the picture was to give a more clear example of the winglets, nothing more nothing less hence the lack of exhaust, pull rod, 2011 nose, etc etc.

volarchico

Ferraripilot wrote: Yes, it has something to do with the human body natural inertia points and how they are only accurate to a certain degree backwards on the spine. I've heard this before. This is also why fighter jets have always remained seated in very upright positions.
The F-16 seat is recline at 30 degs...far from upright! But other than that, I'm not disagreeing with you that too far recline will mess up the senses.

jordangp

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:Image

Tim
This picture was posted on the AutoSport forums by Kosmos, not Enrique(TruZoneF1). I believe the aim of the picture was to give a more clear example of the winglets, nothing more nothing less hence the lack of exhaust, pull rod, 2011 nose, etc etc.
However it is still not even correct in showing that. The winglets and sidepods are too far back in relation to the 2011 picture.

Crucial_Xtreme

jordangp wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:

Tim
However it is still not even correct in showing that. The winglets and sidepods are too far back in relation to the 2011 picture.
Yeah ok, I was just trying to convey I don't believe it was made to be an exact interpretation.
Here's a better one to critique

Just_a_fan

volarchico wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote: Yes, it has something to do with the human body natural inertia points and how they are only accurate to a certain degree backwards on the spine. I've heard this before. This is also why fighter jets have always remained seated in very upright positions.
The F-16 seat is recline at 30 degs...far from upright! But other than that, I'm not disagreeing with you that too far recline will mess up the senses.
The F16 recline was to enable better pilot performance duing high-g turning - something the F16 is very good at. Recling the torso shortens the vertical distance between heart and brain so increasing the pilot's ability to delay gLOC (g-induced Loss Of Consciousness). It also helps keep the little jet's frontal area low in the cockpit area.

As with all design - it's a compromise between one beneficial performance parameter and another.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ajdavison2

Where has the name 'F16' come from?

TheWiseOwl

ajdavison2 wrote:Where has the name 'F16' come from?
They are referring to this -

Robbobnob

hmmm i dont think the car will look like that, for starters its not red
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna