CaterhamF1 CT-01 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FW17

Re: CaterhamF1 CT-01 Renault

It should work better if they make it a double floor all through

Huntresa

Wow that tunnel is much bigger then the Red Bull one.

Owen.C93

You can see how it exits here.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

King Six

There's a merry go round going on here. Sauber develop ramp exhaust exit. Red Bull develop ramp and tunnel exit. Red Bull revert to Sauber ramp only exit. Sauber test McLaren v2 exit. Force India/Williams(?) test McLaren v1/heavy undercut exit. Caterham test Red Bull ramp and tunnel exit....

I wonder just how much time these exhausts are actually worth what with off throttle blowing banned...

beelsebob

King Six wrote:There's a merry go round going on here. Sauber develop ramp exhaust exit. Red Bull develop ramp and tunnel exit. Red Bull revert to Sauber ramp only exit. Sauber test McLaren v2 exit. Force India/Williams(?) test McLaren v1/heavy undercut exit. Caterham test Red Bull ramp and tunnel exit....

I wonder just how much time these exhausts are actually worth what with off throttle blowing banned...
If they weren't worth a decent amount, we wouldn't be seeing so much investment in time/production costs.

AnthonyG

Isn't a reason also that because the cars have fewer parts than in the past? (wings more simple, less winglets and diffusors) that it becomes more logical to develop for example that exhaust path.
In the end your gain of developping a nex FW/RW has it's limits(the more you develop the smaller the improvements become) while the exhaust path is relativly new.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

ESPImperium

King Six wrote:There's a merry go round going on here. Sauber develop ramp exhaust exit. Red Bull develop ramp and tunnel exit. Red Bull revert to Sauber ramp only exit. Sauber test McLaren v2 exit. Force India/Williams(?) test McLaren v1/heavy undercut exit. Caterham test Red Bull ramp and tunnel exit....

If there was 6 tenths in there, id do it. If there was a tenth and a half id still do it.

If there is still time to get in one area you will still develop it.

Personally i think there is only about a couple of seconds left in this aero formula for the top teams, whitch means by my estimation the smaller teams will have about 3 to 4 seconds in there.

I think you will find this test will be more useful to the teams than they are letting on, even with the washout day yesterday.

This caterham car has a lot more time in it than it ios letting on at present. Im thinking there is 2 seconds more in this car by the end of the season.

i70q7m7ghw

beelsebob wrote:

If they weren't worth a decent amount, we wouldn't be seeing so much investment in time/production costs.
But then we see a car without any of these solutions easily win a race...

beelsebob

Diesel wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

But then we see a car without any of these solutions easily win a race...
And yet the designers of said car experimented with such solutions very recently, and I would bet will put such solutions on the car very soon.

Crucial_Xtreme

I think it's about time to start seeing some Iley inspired/made parts coming thru on this car. I know one man can't change everything but his labor should bear some fruit. I looked for him in Montmelo but didn't see any pictures of John.

Crucial_Xtreme

Interesting how their floor is shaped where the barge boards meet the floor. I believe different to every other team on the grid.

Crucial_Xtreme

Caterham Expects to Revisit Mugello Upgrade Package

Caterham’s sporting director Steve Nielsen expects the wider of package of upgrades that the team first trialled on the CT01 at the Mugello test to reappear on the car at some point in the forthcoming races, when he also thinks John Iley’s impact will begin to be felt.

The Norfolk-based outfit tested a number of updates, principally a new exhaust layout, on the car at Mugello the week before the Spanish GP but only a new rear wing survived for the race weekend after the team didn’t find sufficient performance gains. Nielsen admits the team had to “short-circuit” some of its usual procedures in order to be in a position to track test the full package at Mugello but says those remaining processes are now being completed back at its factory with a view to the package being used again.

“We did the Mugello test before Barcelona and we had a sort of a choice,” Nielsen explained. “Normally we have a set process that we use before parts are put on the car. We had to short circuit a lot of that in order to put it on the car in Mugello. We took the decision to do that; had we done our normal process we’d we would have simply missed the Mugello test. Unsurprisingly [in] that situation some of them didn’t work because it was a package of updates that we took to Mugello that didn’t work as a package.

“Most of that didn’t go to Barcelona, but we did take some of it – the rear wing for example – and that worked well. But what we need to do now is to put that package through the proper process and with input from John Iley, which will be great, then I’m sure it will reappear on the car when it is ready to do so.”

Former McLaren and Ferrari aerodynamicist Iley has recently officially taken up the role of performance director at the team and on Thursday was on hand at Duxford Aerodrome to oversee a straight-line test with the CT01 (pictured), the team Tweeting that it tried out different ride heights, front wing sweeps and rear wing comparisons, along with some flow structures. Caterham has remained in the relative ‘no man’s land’ it ran in last season so far in 2012 but Nielsen is confident with the input of Iley and further new recruits there’s plenty of reason to be optimistic.

“Unfortunately at the moment, although we’ve got lots of promising things coming, that’s where the performance of the car is. We wish it were different and we’re working hard on it being different, but we’ve really just got to grin and bear it for the next few races until obviously the updates come along and the input of John Iley and the other people who have joined the team recently really start to show themselves on the car,” he said.

Nielsen added that the team “have some more downforce coming” onto the CT01 for next week’s race in Monaco, although stressed the updates were “not big ones”.

Link

RB7ate9

beelsebob wrote:There's a merry go round going on here. Sauber develop ramp exhaust exit. Red Bull develop ramp and tunnel exit. Red Bull revert to Sauber ramp only exit. Sauber test McLaren v2 exit. Force India/Williams(?) test McLaren v1/heavy undercut exit. Caterham test Red Bull ramp and tunnel exit....

With any luck, Caterham can at least run a race with the Sauber design, and then the Mclaren design, to give a solid race-pace data comparison. To really make a difference, they need to score one championship point. Taking the slow and steady development path - particularly through the European leg - will set them up well for the last set of Asias/Americas GPs.

Richard

I've created a team talk thread for Caterham and moved the more obvious team posts from here to get it started. :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12756

PlatinumZealot

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Interesting how their floor is shaped where the barge boards meet the floor. I believe different to every other team on the grid.
Looks very basic and underdeveloped.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏