Marussia MR01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Coefficient

Re: Marussia MR01 Cosworth

Polarbear wrote:
Coefficient wrote:
Polarbear wrote:I don't know how many times I have to say this.

THERE ARE NO MCLAREN STAFF WORKING AT MARUSSIA!!!

Adam Cooper and yourself are definately mistaken if you think that is the case.

We can all spend hours on end reading articles online, but exercise a bit of caution before declaring them as gospel truth.

This is interesting. I'm not suggesting you are wrong but I recall very clearly that when the Mclaren/Marrussia partnership was agreed it prescribed the use of refugee Mclaren engineers at Marrussia who would otherwise have been made redundant under the RRA. I believe a similar secondment arrangement exists at Force India too.
I think there was talk of it early on, but for whatever reason the partnership did not take the form of seconded individuals from Mclaren.

Think about it - do you really think that if they were working as closely with Mclaren as many seem to think they would have failed a crash test?
As I recall, the Mclaren deal was just related to the transmission and possibly suspension. I don't think there was ever any indication that they would be assisting with the chassis. Same with Force India, they just buy the rear end from Mclaren and Mclaren send a few lads over to make sure they're using it correctly.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Petroltorque

Marussia DO NOT have a transmission deal with McLaren. Marussia's gearbox and drivetrain are very much their own homebrew concoction.

pocketmoon

We can all spend hours on end reading articles online, but exercise a bit of caution before declaring them as gospel truth.
Err... That's gospel truth. There are, now, McLaren staff working directly for Marussia.

Sources are direct, i.e I asked them.

Pierce89

hrt wrote:Flickster, dont mention a team which is new (HRT) dont be confused With Hispania, and i hope to see Marussia in Australia i want to see how better is HRT :twisted:
This is like saying Caterham is different team from last year's Team Lotus.(one and the same)
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Polarbear

pocketmoon wrote:

Err... That's gospel truth. There are, now, McLaren staff working directly for Marussia.

My sources are also direct - there are no Mclaren staff designing the MR01, or working on electronics, or R&D, or stress analysis, or aerodynamics or CFD...

I don't know where you lot get your info, but it is laughable...

wesley123

Polarbear wrote: My sources are also direct - there are no Mclaren staff designing the MR01, or working on electronics, or R&D, or stress analysis, or aerodynamics or CFD...
If you are so right please explain me why you went from 'No McLaren employees at all' to 'no Mclaren staff designing the MR01, or working on electronics, or R&D, or stress analysis, or aerodynamics or CFD...', I would really like to know that.

Also I remember a certain thing that the deal with McLaren included the transfer of approx. 100 McLAren employees to Marussia.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

pocketmoon

Polarbear wrote:
pocketmoon wrote:

My sources are also direct - there are no Mclaren staff designing the MR01, or working on electronics, or R&D, or stress analysis, or aerodynamics or CFD...

I was at the factory today and asked the direct question specifically to clear this up. So who do I believe ? There were multiple McLaren staff working for Marussia - not a large number. There are less now but still multiple staff. That is what I was told today although it's fair to say that McLaren have had no direct input into the design or R&D of the MR01.

It's not hard to guess where Mclaren may be providing expertise - you just have to look at the stuff Virgin/Marussia haven't been doing in the past but are doing now with the McLaren deal.

pitlaneimmigrant

Marussia and McLaren have a technical partnership as discussed in the press release,
http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/357/ ... ight-moves

As it clearly says there are embedded staff at Marussia, whose function is to assist in non-technical roles i.e. process oriented work. But there are not 100 of them. Hell, there are less than 200 at Marussia.

And I can confirm the truth of this ´online article´.

What did you think of your visit Pocketmoon?

PlatinumZealot

Embedded staff.. helping Marrusia.. just like how the Ferrari engine guys help Sauber.. no more than that in my opinion.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Richard

I've done a quick tidy up of this thread. Removed posts referring to "this team is a joke" and similar, tried to leave the more objective posts in place.

Admittedly without a car and not much knowledge about the team, there's not much to be objective about. So yes, we can't do much more than speculate at the moment....

pocketmoon

pitlaneimmigrant wrote:
What did you think of your visit Pocketmoon?
It was interesting to compare the set-up to that of Mercedes AMG. The difference in available funding has a big impact on the facilities and the way they work but the passion is there.

They have a target which is Russia 2014 to be playing with the big boys and they are working hard towards that. The use of more exotic materials such a titanium comes with a cost that's tough to justify.

The principal use of CFD is still there, though this year they are validating the design in a McLaren wind-tunnel. I thinks it's already known what way they have gone with the nose :)

pitlaneimmigrant

Merc-AMG have the huge advantages of a big budget and extensive facilities which Honda were kind enough to pay for.

That, I think, is one of the key reasons why even having an effective RRA won´t level the field. While existing teams have spent 10-20 years building facilities, new teams have to operate on a smaller budget and somehow try to put investment into their factories.
The R&D and facilities budgets for the top 4-5 teams is probably more than the total budget for the bottom 3 (or certainly 2)

But yes, the passion is there in every team (you wouldn´t do it otherwise) and hopefully HRT/MF1/Caterham will get the chance to show it

GTO

pitlaneimmigrant wrote:Marussia and McLaren have a technical partnership as discussed in the press release,
http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/357/ ... ight-moves

As it clearly says there are embedded staff at Marussia, whose function is to assist in non-technical roles i.e. process oriented work. But there are not 100 of them. Hell, there are less than 200 at Marussia.

And I can confirm the truth of this ´online article´.
The following is the quote taken from the Marussia article...
"The Technical Partnership will also see McLaren management and production staff embedded within the team, working in roles permitted by the Concorde Agreement."

You will note that this statement is made within the Marussia PR article & not repeaded by the Marussia exec. or Withmarsh in their statements. I don't believe the impression "embedded within the team" is giving. It may not necessarily mean McLaren staff stationed within Marussia owned building or facilities. It could be the quite the opposite. "The team" could be one/two/group of Marussia team members stationed within McLaren having access to McL failities and simply receiving support from McL mgmt. & production staff in carrying out thier activities.
It could all just be PR BS :!:

dice782

Any news about the CT? the team have been pretty quite ?

thestig84

Polarbear wrote:
pocketmoon wrote:

There most definitely are Mclaren staff there. The chap that sorted my Mclaren passes on Thursday in Canada got thrown into the rowing lake as it was his last race for Mclaren before going to....Marussia! He is still employed by Mclaren. He is not directly involved with their car design however.