Marussia MR01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Marussia MR01 Cosworth

Owen.C93 wrote: I'd define the McLaren style exhaust as a pod that sticks out from the sidepod with air flow underneath. This is more integrated into the sidepod with a bit of a ramp so more Sauber like rather than McLaren. Sounds like they really need a decent step forward.
Yeah I'm with you on the differences between the two. The ramp just doesn't look as "full fledged" as RB or Saubers did but it's hard to tell. But I agree more of a RB style.

They definitely need a step forward. Caterham is targeting a good step forward so it would be good for Marussia if they followed. I'm not sure what HRT has in store for SS. Wonder what other upgrades are coming on the MR01 this weekend. Have to think it will be bit of a sour weekend for them regardless with their heads at the hospital and bodies at the track.

Matt Somers

I'm actually going to the backstage event their hosting tomorrow so was hoping to glean some more info on the upgrade (can but try)

Sorry just had an email through saying the events been cancelled due to the Maria's accident
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

TzeiTzei

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Wonder what other upgrades are coming on the MR01 this weekend.
Rear wing, floor & side pods.

Forza

Picture of their new exhaust system.

Coefficient

Wow, the coke bottle area on this Marrussia is really cluttered. Do they have an enormous gearbox? We know the Cosworth is not the daintiest engine but Williams managed to have a cleaner rear end last year with their MotoGP gearbox. This looks like a 2009 design if not earlier.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

beelsebob

Coefficient wrote:Wow, the coke bottle area on this Marrussia is really cluttered. Do they have an enormous gearbox? We know the Cosworth is not the daintiest engine but Williams managed to have a cleaner rear end last year with their MotoGP gearbox. This looks like a 2009 design if not earlier.
It's a ancient X-trac isn't it?

wesley123

Isnt it a McLaren gearbox since this season?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.

new box ,as it has pullrod suspension...question is did they retain the xtrac internals(they did their own casing anyways from the word go,right?)
Last edited by marcush. on 06 Jul 2012, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

ESPImperium

beelsebob wrote:
Coefficient wrote:Wow, the coke bottle area on this Marrussia is really cluttered. Do they have an enormous gearbox? We know the Cosworth is not the daintiest engine but Williams managed to have a cleaner rear end last year with their MotoGP gearbox. This looks like a 2009 design if not earlier.
The X-Track 1066 gearbox is based on technology from 2004s BAR Honda and the 2007-2008 Williams/Toyota cars. The internals are updated from 2004 and the hydrolic/powershift system is based on the what the Toyota/Williams cars used in 07 and 08. Its a good gearbox, better than what many teams used in early 2009, but the technology has now risen to such a level that the gearbox that the Marussia has is outdated now by a clear 2 to 3 years. McLaren have put 10 guys into Marussia to help them with the transmission design and implementation, so it is alot less cluttered than 2011 however it still is the worst gearbox in F1. Even HRT has the current Williams gearbox that is so tiny it mau not even be there, however they cant take advantage of it aerodynamically.

LotusF1

ESPImperium wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
The X-Track 1066 gearbox is based on technology from 2004s BAR Honda and the 2007-2008 Williams/Toyota cars. The internals are updated from 2004 and the hydrolic/powershift system is based on the what the Toyota/Williams cars used in 07 and 08. Its a good gearbox, better than what many teams used in early 2009, but the technology has now risen to such a level that the gearbox that the Marussia has is outdated now by a clear 2 to 3 years. McLaren have put 10 guys into Marussia to help them with the transmission design and implementation, so it is alot less cluttered than 2011 however it still is the worst gearbox in F1. Even HRT has the current Williams gearbox that is so tiny it mau not even be there, however they cant take advantage of it aerodynamically.
no one from mclaren is helping marussia.....again misinformation from you...

Huntresa

Didnt we earlier in a marussia thread get evidence of ppl from mclaren working at marussia?

pocketmoon

Huntresa wrote:
Didnt we earlier in a marussia thread get evidence of ppl from mclaren working at marussia?
Yep. I work for one of the Marussia suppliers. I asked as a direct question and it was confirmed to me by Marussia personnel on pre-season factory visit. It was the same day the car was down at the McLaren windtunnel.

JackHammer

Not got a picture, but when Pic stopped on track it looked like a new nosecone, a bit bulgier underneath?

Huntresa

JackHammer wrote:Not got a picture, but when Pic stopped on track it looked like a new nosecone, a bit bulgier underneath?
I also got that impression

Matt89

Renalt/Force India style nose hump. Looks new to me.

"Mi chiedete quale è la differenza tra la F1 eroica e quella attuale. Beh, è come se prima si camminasse in equilibrio su un filo sospeso a strapiombo sul Grand Canyon. Ora quel filo è ben teso in camera da letto, a un palmo dal materasso: l'abilità richiesta per camminarci sopra è la stessa, ma la sfida è cambiata per sempre".

- Stirling Moss -

"Se gommo tiene, io vince gara! Se gommo non tiene, io come bomba dentro montagna."

- Markku Alen -