Marussia MR01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JackHammer

Re: Marussia MR01 Cosworth

Found a picture at last, similar to the FI last year

Old nose

Forza

From testing at Silverstone this week

Chubbs

ESPImperium wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Coefficient wrote:Wow, the coke bottle area on this Marrussia is really cluttered. Do they have an enormous gearbox? We know the Cosworth is not the daintiest engine but Williams managed to have a cleaner rear end last year with their MotoGP gearbox. This looks like a 2009 design if not earlier.
It's a ancient X-trac isn't it?
The X-Track 1066 gearbox is based on technology from 2004s BAR Honda and the 2007-2008 Williams/Toyota cars. The internals are updated from 2004 and the hydrolic/powershift system is based on the what the Toyota/Williams cars used in 07 and 08. Its a good gearbox, better than what many teams used in early 2009, but the technology has now risen to such a level that the gearbox that the Marussia has is outdated now by a clear 2 to 3 years. McLaren have put 10 guys into Marussia to help them with the transmission design and implementation, so it is alot less cluttered than 2011 however it still is the worst gearbox in F1. Even HRT has the current Williams gearbox that is so tiny it mau not even be there, however they cant take advantage of it aerodynamically.
Where exactly was this information about the Xtrac 1066 from? I think its completely false. I don't think there is such thing as a 1066.
Chubbs

Pierce89

The X-trac F1 box is the 1044. There is indeed no 1066.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Forza

Hungarian GP - Fp1
Testing with Flow vis

cossie

I reallly do not understand why anyone wopuld use X-tracs, Hewland makes a much better gear box

godlameroso

One sometimes goes so long without being surprised that anything short of your unsurprising expectation surprises you. This Marussia car is still probably the most basic car on the grid, probably more basic than the HRT. Their break ducts are horribly inadequate compared to the rest of the field. Their front wing is atrocious, they're still using solid endplates for crying out loud, their second plane is probably having flow detachment problems on turn in. Their rear end is a mess, it literally looks like a bunch of shapes were tossed together, there was no synergy of parts in design, it looks more like a scramble to make a working car.

Also I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but it seems their suspension seems misaligned.
Last edited by godlameroso on 11 Aug 2012, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

wesley123

godlameroso wrote:Their front wing is atrocious, they're still using solid endplates for crying out loud
Red Bull should update their front wing then! And so should force India!
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Huntresa

And Ferrari.

wesley123

Actually Ferrari's and Toro Rosso's would be the worst. these both have the 'full end plates' as the only 2 of the grid.

Red Bull, Marussia and Force India are running an endplate less front wing, the end plate connects the wing at the trailing edge but apart from that is is fully offset to the wing.

turbof1

While this Marussia indeed looks "basic", i think it's a great base for aero development. If all goes well, the rules will not change much for next year, and any potentional rule changes like front height and DDRS will probably not affect the car. So they can develop this car continuously over 2 years. Expect a much better aero package for next year.
#AeroFrodo

Huntresa

wesley123 wrote:Actually Ferrari's and Toro Rosso's would be the worst. these both have the 'full end plates' as the only 2 of the grid.

Red Bull, Marussia and Force India are running an endplate less front wing, the end plate connects the wing at the trailing edge but apart from that is is fully offset to the wing.
Does Toro Rosso run like 2 endplates so to speak?

wesley123

They run a full single end plate connected to the main wing, so does ferrari, the rest all have them remote in one way or another

Huntresa

wesley123 wrote:They run a full single end plate connected to the main wing, so does ferrari, the rest all have them remote in one way or another
Ah yes the img in my had was some what wrong from that is on the car :P