Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hail22

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

horse

n smikle wrote: I think this hole right behind the top edge of the step allows air from some other source to fill in that low pressure area.
Why not from the cockpit?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Cuky

Pierce89 wrote:
sejamesxy wrote:Image
seems like sauber copied ferrrari lol
That Ferrari solution has been effectively outlawed, besides it was really only valid when the center was the MOST aggressive part of the front wing, now the center is the LEAST aggressive part of the wing.

That Ferrari slot was to remove blockage behind the aggressive "spoon" of the 2008 front wing, thereby allowing better wing performance

True. It was outlawed by banning an opening at the bottom of the nose. But Sauber has different thing here.
1. They don't use that to improve FW performance, but to reattach the airstream which bounces of the step.
2. They feed that slot through cooling hole at the tip of the nose.
Last edited by Richard on 22 Feb 2012, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

horse

Cuky wrote:They feed that slot through cooling hole at the tip of the nose.
What hole? Someone show me this intake, please.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Cuky

sorry, my bad. After little more research I have found this text at formula1.com
In Jerez Sauber evaluated a chassis vent similar in style to the one Ferrari used on the F2008's nosecone back in 2008. At the time it was a significant innovation, allowing airflow from under the car to pass to the top of the chassis to improve the car's overall aero balance. But the solution was banned by the FIA from 2009 when holes in the nose's lower section were outlawed. Sauber's new take on the solution, however, is perfectly legal thanks to its location and smaller size. The benefit of running the vent is thus much diminished, but in theory it should help reattach the airflow as it passes over the large step in the C31's nose.

PlatinumZealot

horse wrote:
n smikle wrote: I think this hole right behind the top edge of the step allows air from some other source to fill in that low pressure area.
Why not from the cockpit?
I didn't rule the cock pit out though. What I drew in the diagram above is just an example. It could be coming from the cock pit. Could even be a pipe coming from the airbox too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bhall

Pierce89 wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:It's not a vent at all. [...new nose...blah, blah, blah...]
From what I understand,they've lifted the chassis homologation. Now if you want a new chassis, you just have to repass the crash tests
Indeed. But, it's still expensive and time consuming. I just don't see another reason for this indentation.

It's been made abundantly clear throughout the forum that any drag resulting from a stepped nose is negligible. Plus, I don't know how ducting air from the cockpit, or anywhere else aft of the indentation, is going to provide enough air flow to have a significant effect. Even if it did, that seems like going through an awful lot of hassle to fix a negligible problem.

But, I've been wrong before.

mith

Hail22 wrote:Video ;)
Looked oversteery, especially in the first corner.

dren

mith wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Video ;)
Looked oversteery, especially in the first corner.
Agree. I wonder how much is down to the car and how much is down to the driver.
Honda!

Blackout

Look at these wings placed above the sidepods... interesting

Byronrhys

Probably for flow conditioning to the rear and cool looking too, reminds me of pre-2009.

Crucial_Xtreme

Better shot of the wings. Right click>view image

pascaljackson

how can this be legal?

ajdavison2

If it is legal, I expect it to be promptly copied/evaluated by the other teams.

jordangp

pascaljackson wrote:how can this be legal?
There is a free section of aero at the front of the floor section. It is what allows the sidepod fin flow conditioners to be in place. Last year Sauber put mini-cooling chimneys here like the large ones we saw pre-2009 (Introduced in Melbourne). This area allowed Mclaren's little wingletss they used on the inside of their U-pods also last season.. Sauber have taken it further this year with a full length winglet.

EDIT: I forgot about the cutouts in the top of the sidepods like McLaren in 2010 and Ferrari in 2011.