Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Testarossa2012

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

You can see good pictures of the C31 in here. (Jerez test)

ajdavison2

Perez already taking a penalty for a gearbox change.

MIKEY_!

That's unfortunate. New gearbox at race one is not a great look.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Blackout

Cooling openings

Henning

I love the look of the gills all the way along the undercut.

beelsebob

Henning wrote:I love the look of the gills all the way along the undercut.
But but but – anyone who's read the Merc thread knows that gills are evil and bad and the ultimate sign of a team that doesn't know anything about aero #-o

Owen.C93

beelsebob wrote:
But but but – anyone who's read the Merc thread knows that gills are evil and bad and the ultimate sign of a team that doesn't know anything about aero #-o
It was only a problem on the Merc because they ran at it every race instead of the very rare super hot races like Malasia. It showed poor cooling and compromised aero to deal with it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

beelsebob

Owen.C93 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
It was only a problem on the Merc because they ran at it every race instead of the very rare super hot races like Malasia. It showed poor cooling and compromised aero to deal with it.
No, it was only "bad" on the Merc because a bunch of arm chair aerodynamicists with no knowledge of what it was doing declared it to be bad.

AnthonyG

Owen.C93 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Don't know about last race, but Sauber ran those grills in testing, so I think they were also there in Melbourne.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

PlatinumZealot

This "no-duct" brake duct posted by Scones above is featured on f1.com. It is a copy of a williams design.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Crucial_Xtreme

It seems that the slot removes a part of the boundary layer from under the nose,and uses the low pressure created on the top of the nose when the air accelerates over the step. I believe removing part of the boundry layer makes the the flow less likely to detach and a thinner boundry layer under the nose could possibly enhance the airflow quality fed to the underbody of the car.

Anderson's analysis is pretty vague. Of course McCabe goes more in depth comparing it to Artesian Aquifers

neilbah

Well done Sauber :) can see them attracting a few more sponsors now, Just curious as to why other teams display their engine brand on the engine cover. Has ferrari ever allowed another team supplied with their engines to print ferrari on their car? i know it could be potentially embarrasing to be beaten by the non factory car but they could also claim a 1+2 of sorts with results like todays..

Lorenzo_Bandini

After the lap 30, Perez was fantastic.

marcush.

I´m so happy for Sauber C31 has turned out to be a sensational car considering their budget this must be the ultimate you can achieve .