Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Coefficient

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

Raptor22 wrote:paint stripping a carbon tub is nearly impossible. the tub is merely touched up through its usefull life.
No it isn't. Mclaren use special paint that can be removed quite simply using high pressure water. This approach is also commonly used on Racing Bicycles.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

allstaruk08

i still dont understand why Giblet was on about repainting the car for in the first place lol all i said was one pic was the seat fitting in the C31 and the other pic was the seat fitting in the C30 :?

Crucial_Xtreme

Not an exciting picture whatsoever but the C-31 was fired up successfully today. Pic below is at the starting up of the new 2012 car.

Raptor22

Coefficient wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:paint stripping a carbon tub is nearly impossible. the tub is merely touched up through its usefull life.
No it isn't. Mclaren use special paint that can be removed quite simply using high pressure water. This approach is also commonly used on Racing Bicycles.

so the car can be washed by the rain.
Racing bicycles use a water transfer decal under layers of clear cote.
and no the paint on those cannot be stripped by high pressure water because I clean mine regularly with a high pressure washer and the paint stays put.
In fact on both my carbon MTB and road bike the decals are water transfer.

Blackout

Let's enhance

Giblet

Giblet wrote:
allstaruk08 wrote:go look at the pictures of the C30 in brazil it had a flat bottom to the airbox, Byronrhys picture is of the seat fitting for the C30 they were showing you that the airbox is the same shape as they used last season. the other picture im pretty sure its the C31 the whole shape is different
When you repaint a carbon car, you paint over the old paint. I doubt they would be able to strip a car down to the raw carbon like that. Its too porous.

That is raw, and unfinished carbon. There are obvious parts that need sanding.

Also, why would Perez be doing a seat fitting in the old car? The new car will be a different shape and need a new seat, and if not, then he can use the same seat as last year.
Whoah.. slow down there. You were saying the seat fitting was in a c30 right? I was saying that because of the raw carbon, it was obviously not a c30. It has to be a c31 tub.

If I misunderstood what you were saying I apologize. Its just the lack of paint leaves no question what we were looking at.

Looks like the confusion is because someone posted a C30 seat fitting pic in a thread about the C31. No wonder.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

cravenciak

jordangp

Looks nice. I can see quite a big undercut in the sidepods, and i must say the new livery is nice also.

Gridlock

Yup... Definitely a Sauber F1 car :)

But is the part of it visible between Kamui's cheek and the camera where the dip would be if they had a Caterham nose? And has it been blurred..

Joie de vivre

we should call CSI team to make this blurry picture look sharper :D

King Six

I think the rear is black mostly because of heat resistant material, similar to Force India. Front is only black because to hide the fugly nose. :lol:

pocketmoon

ha! I'm squinting like mad to try and make out a broken nose! :)

jordangp

I think there is a slight one. It's a lower nose that SFI, Caterham and Ferrari, but higher than McLaren. I think they've gone for the mid-option

King Six

jordangp wrote:I think there is a slight one. It's a lower nose that SFI, Caterham and Ferrari, but higher than McLaren. I think they've gone for the mid-option
That would be interesting as it would represent a complete break from 2010 and 11 where they had some of the highest noses and enough space underneath to park an aircraft carrier.

If anyone was going to have a fugly nose it would've been Sauber.

NonNewtonic

Coefficient wrote:
Yes thats true but it actually cost more and team like Sauber with very limited budget I don't think they are willing to spend more money on their paint shop