Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kilcoo316

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

FrukostScones wrote:I doubt that the flow is jumping the vane to reach the slit, maybe the flow is split by the vane,
Of course it isn't.

[Expect the irate reply from those obsessed with it in 3-2-1]

Crucial_Xtreme

FrukostScones wrote: last week the flow looked like this (I know the spec is a bit different, but the inside vane stays in place.)

I doubt that the flow is jumping the vane to reach the slit, maybe the flow is split by the vane, but I doubt that this Piola guess is correct. We have seen on Maldonated's car the power/direction of the exhaust flow.
Whether it does or doesn't, I'm not quite sure obviously, but both of these pictures come from the same place. However the slit/cut would be there for the purpose of getting some flow under the floor. As you said, perhaps it splits the flow?

@kilco0316 surely you weren't referring to me?

AnthonyG

blokkie wrote: Image
Only on the sauber it's entry and exit is on the nose itself .
Can this really work without a device speeding up the air between the 2 holes?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

scarbs

There's high pressure building up beneath the nose and the duct feeds into a relatively low pressure region created above the hump in the nose...

mep

Why should the flow there go around a 90° corner?
It has some inertia and high air speed. It will create lots of turbulence for very little flow going trough the hole. I can't see how this should be benefical at all.

AnthonyG

mep wrote:Why should the flow there go around a 90° corner?
It has some inertia and high air speed. It will create lots of turbulence for very little flow going trough the hole. I can't see how this should be benefical at all.
I think that 90° corner has to do with the mechanical bits at the front of the survival-cell.

Crucial_Xtreme

I noticed looking through pictures that Checo's car did not use a monkey seat in Malaysia, and Kobayashi did. Interesting no?

Checo

Kamui

Crucial_Xtreme

mep wrote:Why should the flow there go around a 90° corner?
The whole purpose of the slot both under & over is to get better airflow to the underside of the car.

AnthonyG

scarbs wrote:There's high pressure building up beneath the nose and the duct feeds into a relatively low pressure region created above the hump in the nose...
Ok, I understand.
And Red Bull is probably doing the same with the 2 slots, but then feeding the air to the (low pressure) cockpit?

Huntresa

I think they did the same in Australia, running one car with monkey seat and one without. Or it might have been during practice, but look it up.

Edit: Yes they did in Melbourne aswell

strad

Monkey seat??
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Crucial_Xtreme

strad wrote:Monkey seat??
The little miniature wing sitting on the middle of the beam wing. :)

strad

Ah...Thank You
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Jersey Tom

Monkey seat is by far my new favorite aero phrase.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

raymondu999

Of course it has a few other names. Like simian sofa or the lemur lounger.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法