Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

PhantomPoster wrote:
But Ferrari have twice as many people working for than as Sauber. Also Mercedes and Macca get their engines from HPE, so would you call Merc and Macca smaller teams with more ability to focus on aero? Are RBR a small team more focused on aero?

Sorry, I think the engine supply argument is flawed.

The midfield-and-back teams have far fewer people on the payroll, so for any of them to be able to update their cars with the big boys is far more impressive I think.
You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. Less people or not they don't have to focus on engine building and all that comes with it, building KERS, making the gearbox, hydraulics, etc.
Karun Chandhok was talking about this just the other day on the flying lap. Yes smaller teams have less people but with much of the car supplied by other people, smaller teams, Sauber for instance can focus more on Aero.
We can agree to disagree.

gray41

So we're going to see more McLaren style bulge exhaust housing, if it works well on Sauber could we see McLaren adding downwash wing to the front of the side pods?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Crucial_Xtreme

Sauber doing some aero testing to check air flow.

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 01 May 2012, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

PhantomPoster

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
PhantomPoster wrote:
But Ferrari have twice as many people working for than as Sauber. Also Mercedes and Macca get their engines from HPE, so would you call Merc and Macca smaller teams with more ability to focus on aero? Are RBR a small team more focused on aero?

Sorry, I think the engine supply argument is flawed.

The midfield-and-back teams have far fewer people on the payroll, so for any of them to be able to update their cars with the big boys is far more impressive I think.
You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. Less people or not they don't have to focus on engine building and all that comes with it, building KERS, making the gearbox, hydraulics, etc.
Karun Chandhok was talking about this just the other day on the flying lap. Yes smaller teams have less people but with much of the car supplied by other people, smaller teams, Sauber for instance can focus more on Aero.
We can agree to disagree.

I bet the number of people working on Sauber's aero if far less than the number working on Ferrari's aero.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe you can actually suggest that not having enough money to develop your own drivetrain is actually beneficial.

Crucial_Xtreme

PhantomPoster wrote:
I bet the number of people working on Sauber's aero if far less than the number working on Ferrari's aero.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe you can actually suggest that not having enough money to develop your own drivetrain is actually beneficial.
Wow you're a genius. Of course Ferrari have more. That doesn't mean they can't focus more on the aero side of the car. I also bet you that Sauber doesn't spend 1/4 of the time that Ferrari does on the engine in the winter, changing/making the KERS unit better/more effective, nor making the gearbox and optimizing it.

Again, you're free to have your opinion. As I said, there are drivers who share the opinion that I have so to me, that says it all. Good day.

Huntresa

Dude stop being an ass. You have 2 different oppinions, leave it at that, no need to bash anyone especially not a driver that is prob 10000x better driver then you are :P

cccag

nice idea from Sauber :)

Art & science are disciplines that must work together hand in hand - Horacio Pagani

Crucial_Xtreme

I see the heat shielding tape beside the rear tyre. Good indication of where they expect exhaust flow.

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:Wow. The pioneers of the coanda ramp sidepod move over to the McLaren design. I did not see that coming. I wonder if those who are using the same Sauber design will follow suit.
From the beginning I posted that the MClaren design was the better one because the exhaust rides down on an air ramp instead of a solid ramp. You also get to keep your undercut.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

I always thought the McLaren solution had the exhaust flowing down in free stream air rather than an air ramp. What would make up said ramp?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32

What is the air flow routing at the bottom inside edge of the side-pod? There seems to be a separation in the body work.

Brian

Owen.C93

Cheeky little winglets on the Williams style duct less brake ducts.

Oh and thankyou very much for this shot Sauber :)
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

GrizzleBoy

He's on max revs there according to his wheel.

Edit: Hmmm pit lane max revs that is.....

Still get to see a good directional indication.

Owen.C93

GrizzleBoy wrote:He's on max revs there according to his wheel.

Edit: Hmmm pit lane max revs that is.....

Still get to see a good directional indication.
Yeah, when you zoom in you can see how it curls down rather than point up 10degrees.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hardingfv32

1) I think the wheel is indicating pit lane limiter operation, not the normal 'on track' display function.

2) The exhaust flow seems very unfocused or broad in the photo. What is it going to be like when it gets to any aerodynamically useful surface?

3) Curls down? Based on the the expansion being demonstrated, it could be curling up just as much.

Brian