Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Huntresa
Huntresa

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

Cant do much with it being broad, but it seems all of the flame or gas is on the inside of the fin on the floor and this is on limiter.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

hardingfv32 wrote:
3) Curls down? Based on the the expansion being demonstrated, it could be curling up just as much.

Brian
I'm looking at as it immaediately exits the exhaust before it expands. It should be pointing up 10'.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:I always thought the McLaren solution had the exhaust flowing down in free stream air rather than an air ramp. What would make up said ramp?
There is a cross flow of air passing along the undercut. The exhaust flows over this.

Look at the black vectors in the picture below. Some of them are pointing into the screen, showing the direction of airflow along the side-pod undercut. The exhaust rides over this almost perpendicular stream those vectors we can them sideways.

I find the narrowing shape of the Upper control arms interesting because of how it goes pencil thin near the body. An interesting car this Sauber. It would pain me to see it faster than the Mclaren if for whatever small chance that does really happen!

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Huntresa
Huntresa

Eventho its not the same car its related as to where the gases go etc

Forza

Pictures from yesterday give good indication where the exhaust gas flows. You can see the rain drops/wet areas on the floor of the car. In C31 from @nsmikle's picture there is dry area infront of rear tyre besides the turning vane. If this is the case there would some interaction with the air flow that comes around the sidepods. But the exhaust could hit the floor further back at higher speeds.

I would analyse Fw34 with the flow vis separately.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

New FW on top, old FW on bottom

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Sauber has new extension vanes from bottom of RW to floor/diffuser

Sauber is really bringing the updates. I'm really liking this car. 2nd only to Ferrari.

Mazdaboy

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Interesting angle of the Sauber.

madly
madly

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Owen.C93 wrote:Interesting angle of the Sauber.
Is it me or does the Sauber exhaust area look/seem a little lower than McLaren's?

horse

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Is it me or does the Sauber exhaust area look/seem a little lower than McLaren's?
Its a little hard to tell as the McLaren sidepop is significantly undercut below the exhaust outlet. My guess would be that they finish at similar heights.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Here you can see the rear of the new wing in this high res shot. I like how the rear corner of the new wing curls downwards to form something like a mini diffuser. I'm not explaining myself very well here but hopefully you can spot it in the image.

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 543.26.jpg

(Link because it's too large to embed without resizing)

Artur Craft

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Impressive updates from this team. I think it might be my favourite car on the grid.
Agreed. Matt Morris said before the green flag that 90% of the Barcelona updates were on the car today. Impressive indeed.
yeah, they are doing great with their development if you consider their budget.

I can't remember any other team who seems to have been bringing such amount of comprehensively updates.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Artur Craft wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Impressive updates from this team. I think it might be my favourite car on the grid.
Agreed. Matt Morris said before the green flag that 90% of the Barcelona updates were on the car today. Impressive indeed.
yeah, they are doing great with their development if you consider their budget.

I can't remember any other team who seems to have been bringing such amount of comprehensively updates.
Well Roman Abramovich and Carlos slim have a quite a lot of money apparently.