Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gerhard Berger

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

Livery looks better than the last 2 years - at least it gives them a bit of character.

Nose and front bulkhead is very similar to Ferrari - as high as possible. Sidepods do look quite low at the front.

NonNewtonic

Great another ugly platypus nose

Joie de vivre

horse

kris wrote:The bump seems to be smoother than that on the ferrari..
Yeah, it seems slightly convex, which I don't think any of the others have been so far. This does give it quite an acute angle between the nose and the kink but a smoother transition to the chassis.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Lorenzo_Bandini

ScarbsF1 Craig Scarborough

Here's that Sauber beam wing, the over-the-top mounting keep the harder working underside of the wing free from obstruction

Nothing new to see here, the typical 2012 high chassis\flat topped nose treatment

New wheels for Sauber, with pegs ready for the rim fairings to be added

Notably small sidepods and inlets, the exhaust is on top of the pod near the red line

FrukostScones

Tumbarello wrote:
mm, looks like a massive swan-neck beam wing mount....?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Spencifer_Murphy

Tumbarello wrote:btw is there something unusual going on at the back of that car?
I was looking at the rear myself actually...I'm not sure if there is anything unusual, but it does look rather tightly packaged.

The livery may be a bit "slap-dash" and those wretched noses are less than pleasing on the eye, but elsewhere the car seems to be quite neat.

Maybe Sauber are beginning to find their feet again? I hope so, they've always been a plucky little outfit (before the BMW days) and they seemed to do well on relatively little resources.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

NonNewtonic

How many new cars featuring the tight single exit rear already? It seems like all technical director do agree with Adrian Newey's concept of a tight rear I wonder how will the new RB8 looks like? If RB heading towards another direction that really going to laugh my head off! Can't wait till the launch of RB8 even though its only 3 hours away!

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Lorenzo_Bandini

ScarbsF1 Craig Scarborough

Sauber diffuser and crash structure, the crash structure slims a lot nearer the gearbox yfrog.com/kesmkfoyj

Sauber with Ferraris gearbox also has the rounded tail fairing profile, yfrog.com/gyyqfkujj

Sauber: A complete set of discs and pads sets you back around 13,000 euros !

Overall an impressive job from Sauber, tidy and conventional

Caterhamrules

Gerhard Berger

NonNewtonic wrote:How many new cars featuring the tight single exit rear already? It seems like all technical director do agree with Adrian Newey's concept of a tight rear I wonder how will the new RB8 looks like? If RB heading towards another direction that really going to laugh my head off! Can't wait till the launch of RB8 even though its only 3 hours away!
It is not "Newey's concept". Teams have always been trying to get the rear as tight as possible.

Ban on EBD has helped teams in that respect.

Forza

horse

The crash structure is quite exciting. Thin then fat. It almost has a proper diffuser on it too. No turning vanes on the wing end plates, which is a bit odd.

"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

bhall

That can't be a blown beam wing, can it?