Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

James Allen stated on his blog that Hamilton Button ran more wing (I think he means rear wing) in the race. Perhaps this was to do with an overall setting with the front and rear wings.
Honda!

scarlet

None of the photos I've seen from last week are definitive because every photo of the car on straights has the car front-on to the camera. From that angle the tops of the endplates look angled but we need a side-on shot to be sure. The onboard video does indicate some movement of the endplates under braking though, I linked that a few pages ago.

neilbah

After watching practise to Malaysia, Have the bulges where the exhausts sit at the rear been smothed into the car even more? it looked that way but maybe spec is the same as used for australia, the sidepods just seemed a little different to me

Guisson

Am I actually the only one who thinks that Macca FW flexes more than the other teams
especially RB's one..?
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

neilbah

RB_[Gnx] wrote:Am I actually the only one who thinks that Macca FW flexes more than the other teams
especially RB's one..?
im wondering if rotates might be a better word...?

scarbs

hardingfv32 wrote:This looks like a way to change the height of vertical location of the steering arm. As the hub rotates/steers the pin is guided up & down changing the height of the steering arm.

They are are modifying the bump or roll steer for some reason.

Brian

My guess would be the pins on the end of the track rod make the arm pivot rather than go up and down. Thus the slot in the far side of the clevis goes the opposite direction.

hardingfv32

scarbs wrote:My guess would be the pins on the end of the track rod make the arm pivot rather than go up and down. Thus the slot in the far side of the clevis goes the opposite direction.
So the gold part (TiN coated) is possibly moving in and out using a thread system. Possibly changing the toe adjustment as the car steers?

Brian

Moved to the Aerodynamics, etc. Section......

scarbs

I've had it confirmed by two sources, that the gold slotted device is to manage the aero angle-of-attack of the track rod arm.
I'm told this isn't new on the Mac and other teams do something similar at the rack end of the trackrod.
The clevis on the upright that the trackrod bolts to is slightly oversized (vertically), the trackrod mounts to the clevis\bolt with a spherical joint. this bearing housing features the pins that ride in the slots in the clevis. As the steering turns, the pins rotate the trackrod to maintain the +\-5 degree angle allowed for suspension elements.

Scarbs

Owen.C93

scarbs wrote:I've had it confirmed by two sources, that the gold slotted device is to manage the aero angle-of-attack of the track rod arm.
I'm told this isn't new on the Mac and other teams do something similar at the rack end of the trackrod.
The clevis on the upright that the trackrod bolts to is slightly oversized (vertically), the trackrod mounts to the clevis\bolt with a spherical joint. this bearing housing features the pins that ride in the slots in the clevis. As the steering turns, the pins rotate the trackrod to maintain the +\-5 degree angle allowed for suspension elements.

Scarbs
Neat, thanks for the clarification on that Craig.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Blackout

Better picture
Mclaren battery + CPU unit

Image[/quote]

Crucial_Xtreme

McLaren has put a small strake next to the floor protecting heat resistant tape to help guide exhaust gasses

Crucial_Xtreme

McLaren also running asymmetric cooling during P3 and qualification.

Left side

Right side

ajdavison2

Probably just taken at different times?

amouzouris

no he is right..i also noticed that during qualy!

Crucial_Xtreme

ajdavison2 wrote:Probably just taken at different times?
All pictures are from today. There is obviously no need to run gills on both sides.