Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Just_a_fan wrote:During the pitstops, one mechanic holds the airbox and sidepod to keep the car stable on the jacks. He stands on the offside (driver's right) of the car. Another mechanic leant over and adjusted something on the nearside (driver's left) just behind the electrical cutoff pulls. The thing he adjusted appears to be a screw type adjuster and is highlighted in red on the silver paintwork - obviously the intention is for the mechanics to be able to find it in a hurry i.e. during pitstops.

Interesting. I looked back through pictures and noticed in Malaysia the place in question was covered in silver. And China was the bright orange/red color.

Malaysia

China

bill shoe

For sure good puzzle with the extra guy on the pitstop.

Hydraulic actuated or linked suspension as described by Scarbs would give a variety of options for adjustment. You could change the stiffness of various suspension modes such as roll stiffness. You could change ride height, not sure if allowed by rules. You could be adjusting ballast to a new location.

My common assumption behind these ideas is that they would relate to changing fuel weight during the race. I may not have listed the correct answer above, but the correct answer probably relates to optimizing car performance with different fuel weights.

tok-tokkie

I also suspect it is ride height adjustment to compensate for fuel load reduction. My understanding is ride height may not be adjusted while car is in motion & it may not be adjusted after qualifying until the race starts. During pit stop it can be adjusted - same as front wing.

radosav

i think it is legal to change ride height in pit stop , and ferrari is being using it too

Crucial_Xtreme

McLaren exhaust detail

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 19 Apr 2012, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Shakeman

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:McLaren exhaust detail
Nice to see Britain still has some craftsmen...

markc

what about the fact that most of the cars on the grid are crafted in the UK by UK tallent?

...but I take your point, it's beautiful craftmanship, then again I always think that about Macca: form and function.

ajdavison2

radosav wrote:i think it is legal to change ride height in pit stop , and ferrari is being using it too
You can do anything you want once the race starts, as I Understand it, parc ferme ends once the race begins.

SiLo

How would they link the two together? I understand how it would have an affect on the car during the race, probably something that the drivers like too and the car will become more stable at the rear as the ride height drops (diffuser becomes more effective)
Felipe Baby!

shelly

Are you sure that those in the two pictures are McLaren sidepods? To me, they seem merc w03
twitter: @armchair_aero

Crucial_Xtreme

shelly wrote:
Are you sure that those in the two pictures are McLaren sidepods? To me, they seem merc w03
Yeah I read the preview wrong. W03 for sure. My apologies.

Maynard G. Krebs

jason.parker.86 wrote:I'm under the impression the Merc were effectively restricting that DDRS system so not to alert the FIA to the true advantages it brings in terms of pace. I believe half of the system is giving the car greater balance whilst under breaking from a DRS zone, in turn giving the driver better traction into the corner.

I also believe that McLaren probably already have a system in the pipe work, as will most other teams.

However I do not believe McLaren should waste a considerable amount of time and resources developing this system when their car is already as fast, if not faster in qualifying and race pace.
Did Nico even ever get to use his DRS? He was in front the whole race.

raymondu999

With the current exhaust, where is the consensus that the exhaust is heading to? Between the diffuser and tyres?

The reason I ask is, unless McLaren is doing some off-throttle magic, it seems to my untrained eyes and logic that the downforce from it will be throttle sensitive, and so you will get a balanced car off throttle and understeer on throttle, or a balanced car on throttle and oversteer without it. To basic intuition, I don't think Button will be happy with such a trait.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

dren

Maynard G. Krebs wrote:Did Nico even ever get to use his DRS? He was in front the whole race.
Yes, I saw him use it at least once. Don't remember who it was he passed with it.
Honda!

Nando

raymondu999 wrote:With the current exhaust, where is the consensus that the exhaust is heading to? Between the diffuser and tyres?

The reason I ask is, unless McLaren is doing some off-throttle magic, it seems to my untrained eyes and logic that the downforce from it will be throttle sensitive, and so you will get a balanced car off throttle and understeer on throttle, or a balanced car on throttle and oversteer without it. To basic intuition, I don't think Button will be happy with such a trait.
The car is probably set up without the extra downforce in mind from the exhaust when on power.
So the extra downforce when coming out of corners or when having some throttle on like in Turn 8 Turkey will only add as a bonus.
Possibly add some slight understeer but due to the effects being so small anyways this year i think it won´t really make much of a difference.

Button seems to cope with the car fine though.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."