Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
omar2726

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

raymondu999 wrote:I don't think the oversteer was a side effect of the front wings - more like cooked rears
hardingfv32 wrote:
ell66 wrote:They both struggled with oversteer in the race though.
Not arguing, but how do you know this?

Brian
Their corrections for mid-corner oversteer were much more noticeable during the race than in qualifying, I think. Any comments on their race pace? Is it because of the conditions in Bahrain?

Omar
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Engineer - "The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

marcush.

Michael schmidt is a long time F1 journo in german print media ,he was writing for Spart-auto as long as i can remember (I think the guy before was Pugmeister...and before it was Haug )he might well have been editor thewre as well...now he is with AMuS ?

ledzep4pm

Ferraripilot wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:I just read in f1 news that Michael Schmidt (no idea who that is) states that Macca has a new gearbox shape which will improve aero efficiency but requires a gearbox change. JB, by retiring, is able to use that new gearbox at the very next race, but LH will have to wait. 

Does anyone here know if they do indeed have a new gearbox for the car, and secondly, how long will LH have to wait to get that new gearbox as he just changed his recently? Will this place LH at a disadvantage to his team mate?
The gearbox casing is rumored to be for the Mercedes car, not Mclaren.
The rumour is McLaren have a change at the rear will will require a different gearbox shape, maybe the suspension geometry? It also states that Mercedes are introducing a new carbon fibre casing.

Source: http://www.f1rules.com/tactical-gearbox-failure-tricks/
Twitter @ledzep4pm

Just_a_fan

Chuckjr wrote:JB, by retiring, is able to use that new gearbox at the very next race, but LH will have to wait. 
JB was classified as 18th in the race so I'm not sure the retirement excuse works for him does it?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Owen.C93

Just_a_fan wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:JB, by retiring, is able to use that new gearbox at the very next race, but LH will have to wait. 
JB was classified as 18th in the race so I'm not sure the retirement excuse works for him does it?
Why? He had a puncture that already put him out the points.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Chuckjr

I believe he retired so late he may have been classified(?), but actually I believe he was a dnf. From what I've read, this is a loophole to allow teams to change a gearbox w/o a penalty.
Watching F1 since 1986.

raymondu999

Yeap - Chuck Jr. has it spot on.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Chuckjr

Does this mean at the next race LH will not be driving the most up to date version of the Macca?

Uh oh...
Watching F1 since 1986.

Owen.C93

Chuckjr wrote:Does this mean at the next race LH will not be driving the most up to date version of the Macca?

Uh oh...
If it's true, which I doubt it is.

ell66

hardingfv32 wrote:
ell66 wrote:They both struggled with oversteer in the race though.
Not arguing, but how do you know this?

Brian
it was pretty clear from watching the race, and jenson mentioned he had oversteer through the whole race despite taking front wing out at every stop.

scarbs

Owen.C93 wrote:Does anybody know what this rod with a spring on it is for?

It's an adjuster for the brake duct opening around the disc. This sends more heat to the wheel and hence into the tyre. The team use it to alter rear tyre temp over the weekend , presumably in the race too!

Owen.C93

Neat! Thanks for that Scarbs :)

Crucial_Xtreme

Owen.C93 wrote:Neat! Thanks for that Scarbs :)
Very neat indeed. Do we know if this is currently exclusive to McLaren or do other teams use similar solutions?

marcush.

the attention to detail is just mindblowing ....For me it´s quite obvious that Mclaren is the Team Mercedes wants to be- the beast or nothing -

JAllen

Not meaning to cry foul, but how is that not moveable aero? Not quite understanding this.

Joe